Speedometer cable in helms?

In what section is the the removal/installation of speedometer cable in? I can’t find it:mad:

don’t know…but heres how to remove it

to remove speedometer cable…

1. remove gauge cluster
  2. remove speedometer cable plugged into back of it
  3. Reach down by the tranny, pull off the connector boot
  4. then unplug the cable from the tranny
  5. now slide off the boot on the firewall for it
  6. now slide both (2) boots off the end of the cable (the end that plugs into the tranny)
  7. now pull the cable through the firewall

Installation is reverse of Removal.

this all should take about 5 mins or so. i just did it yesterday BTW.

That will fix a bouncing speedometer right?

Re: don’t know…but heres how to remove it

Originally posted by streetracer0097
to remove speedometer cable…
This is the easier method to do it!!!

1. Reach down by the tranny, pull off the connector boot, then the C-clip
  2. then unplug the cable from the tranny
  3. pull cable out of the sheath. Re-lube with all-purpose grease, or replace with new cable (depending on your project)

Installation is reverse of Removal. (you may have to twist the cable ever-so-slightly to get it back in the back of the guage cluster – square hole must be aligned. Easy, you’ll see)

I find my way easier. Of course, if you’re removing the sheathing and everything and replcing it, do it his way. but to remove the cable itself, the way I have mentioned is easier.

~Eric

YOU JUST SAID BASICALLY THE SAME EXACT THING I SAID, WHY?:think:

And BTW, after i posted that, i was looking through “Teg Tips” for something, and How to “Remove Speedometer Cable” is right there under “Interior”.

Your method involves removing the guage cluster for absolutely no real reason.

I’m lazy, and would rather not remove anything that is not necessary. Since it’s absolutely NOT necessary to remove the cluster, why do it?

~Eric

Could you describe method? Does anyone still know where it is in the helms manual?

method is described above.

Anything beyond that is best learned by doing. :slight_smile: Seriously, it’s REALLY easy to do… just get in there, pull up the rubber boot from near the tranny, remove C-clip with needlenose pliers (don’t lose the clip), pull cable+sheath from the hole in the tranny, pull cable out from the sheath. It may take a small tug to get it started (to loosen it from the back of the cluster without removing the cluster).
re-lube or replace (w/e you were trying to do), and then reinsert it into the sheath.

When you have like 1" left to insert, twist the cable while pushing it in, to allow the square end to mate with the square hole behind the guage cluster. it will finally slide into place. Give it an extra little push to make sure it’s in fully. Reinsert into tranny, replace C-clip in proper area (note where you took it off from), and then roll the rubber boot/condom thing back over the area you took it off from.

The hardest part is replacing the rubber boot… and that’s relatively easy still. :smiley:

I’ll check the Helm’s right now…

~Eric

Cool thanks I’m just curious where it is in the helms.

ok, tell me this then. how would it be possible to get the cable back into the cluster w/o removing it??? just push it through the firewall and hope it goes in, common man, it takes like 2 minutes to remove the cluster, your making it sound like its as time consuming as an engine swap.

and dude, forget about the goddamn helms manual, the 2 of us just told you how to do it (in great detail i might add), ITS in teg tips EVEN. it probably ain’t in the Helm’s because its to damn simple to do. it would be like teaching you how to roll down the window.

be grateful we even took the time to explain it.

Originally posted by streetracer0097
[B]ok, tell me this then. how would it be possible to get the cable back into the cluster w/o removing it??? just push it through the firewall and hope it goes in, common man, it takes like 2 minutes to remove the cluster, your making it sound like its as time consuming as an engine swap.

and dude, forget about the goddamn helms manual, the 2 of us just told you how to do it (in great detail i might add), ITS in teg tips EVEN. it probably ain’t in the Helm’s because its to damn simple to do. it would be like teaching you how to roll down the window.

be grateful we even took the time to explain it. [/B]

If you are simply replacing the cable itself (not the black outer sheathing), then it goes in just fine, as the existing sheathing is there to guide it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I mentioned much earlier… if you are replacing the cable AND the sheathing (outer black rubber part), then yes, you’d need to remove everytihng from the cluster, etc…

But it’s highly unlikely you’d ever need to change the sheathing… just the cable itself.

~Eric

And no, you don’t need the freakin’ Helm’s… we’ve both described it to you in too much detail already and if you’d go and look for yourself (print out this thread if you need to), you’ll figure it out very easily (unless of course you have an IQ of 1.4, in which case, well…). :wink: