starting a G2 that's been sitting for a while

this was recommended to me by an Acura mechanic(Carchitect) and is somethingI thought I’d pass on.

If you haven’t started your car in a long time i.e. 1 week or longer, it is a very good chance you could do some damage since the oil is not properly lubricating the internals when you are trying to start it. To save your motor from this damage, remove your spark plugs and crank the starter over until the “low oil” light no longer flashes. Now your motor is better lubricated and you can start it without causing any potential damage

:bow:

I’d like to know what YOU really think about this procedure.

Regards,

Oz

what happens when you leave it at the Airport for two weeks?

Originally posted by The_Oz
[B]I’d like to know what YOU really think about this procedure.

Regards,

Oz [/B]

please explain what YOU mean by this- I did it- it worked and it started up a lot quicker and more normal than a few times before when i just started to crank on it.

:bow:

Originally posted by gen2ls/vtec
[B]please explain what YOU mean by this- I did it- it worked and it started up a lot quicker and more normal than a few times before when i just started to crank on it.

:bow: [/B]

I meant I was asking YOUR opinion on said topic, since you’ve only stated what was advised to you.

Now, after reading your second post, the reason why your engine started quicker is because you have built up some residual fuel in the combustion chamber from cranking the engine without spark plugs. Whether you do this to an engine that’s been sitting for a year or doing it right now as we speak, it won’t matter. It will startup very quickly.

As for the actual procedure for engines left cold for long periods of time, I have my doubts. Cranking creates excessive engine vibration as you can easily attest when you look at the engine when being started. This “vibration” creates extra stress on things like the journals and bearings as the motor is not working “smoothly”. The oil pump - IMHO - is not pumping any extra oil through the system while cranking since when you crank, you’re RPM is only around 1000RPM rather than fast idle at 2000RPM. So, in essence, the oil pump is pumping less.

To put it simply for you - all else being equal - it’s better to start it right up and have the engine idle at fast idle (normally around 2000RPM), rather than stressing the engine by “choking” it to death.

Regards,

Oz