take a look at this.

I just cracked open a LS longblock i picked up today…
since ive never really seen the inside of a motor before, what would be the best thing for me to do concerning the cylinders in this thing…overbore .25mm over, or just give it a light honing job?

this motor will be used for ls/vtec.

if it were me i would take the block to a reputable machine shop with the parts i want installed (i.e. spoon sports pistons $380 on inline four.com) and have them machine them in properly and clean and balence and blueprint the entire thing. the only reason i say this is that since yo have it all taken apart and you know what your going to do just take your TIME and have it done right. youll be better off and much happier. besides youll have to have a breaking period whether they hone or bore it out anyway which means they have to disassemble the engine anyway so why not spend money on quality parts and work.

just my $.02

Originally posted by b18DAChris
[B]if it were me i would take the block to a reputable machine shop with the parts i want installed (i.e. spoon sports pistons $380 on inline four.com) and have them machine them in properly and clean and balence and blueprint the entire thing. the only reason i say this is that since yo have it all taken apart and you know what your going to do just take your TIME and have it done right. youll be better off and much happier. besides youll have to have a breaking period whether they hone or bore it out anyway which means they have to disassemble the engine anyway so why not spend money on quality parts and work.

just my $.02 [/B]

Good honest advice, I would say do the same…

I think it really depends on what kind of mechanical skills you have and also what you do and don’t have access to. If you have no tools, no garage, no manual, or no disire to do the work yourself, then do what the guys above suggest. On the other hand, if you have the stuff mentioned above, do the disassembly and assembly yourself. You’ll still have to take the bare block to the machine shop, and out-house other jobs, but it’ll save you money and if your into this kind of stuff it’s fun. Plus you’ll be one of the few people who can say they actually biult a motor. Lots of peeps have built motors, but very few can truthfully say they built it.

Oh yeah regarding the boring. If you have the money for new forged pistons and rods I’d go that rought and get them oversized .25 or even .5 if your going to go all motor. One caution, do research before you buy stuff. For example, I bought some .25 oversized ITR pistons and some eagle rods and later figured out they were not going to work together. So do your research ahead of time. If you’re interested in some brand new .25 over USDM ITR pistons with new rings, hit me up. I’m asking 250 plus shipping.