The Insurance Kit

This is designed to help in case of an accident please feel free to add anything to the list.

I’ve seen it happen far too many times on this board and working in auto insurance. Many of us are ill prepared in the event of an accident (or we dont know exactly what we need as we cant think clearly because someone just smashed our ride)

Here is a list of things you should keep in the car (IMHO) that will help in event of an accident.

1. A throw-away camera for taking pics of the damage , the location of the vehicles , the other drivers license and insurance cards , other factors in the area that contributed to the accident (wet road , tall bushes , a disabled vehicle)
  2. Several pens and pencils for writing down the other persons info , any police officers badge number(s) and name(s) , names and telephone numbers of witnesses.
  3. Several copies of your up to date insurance info. To show the other driver /police .
  4. The name address and telephone numbers of:
    A) the Place you want your car towed to in the event of it needing to be towed
    B) the hospital you would like to go to in event of injury
    C) a contact person who can give you a ride or who can be notified and possibly make decisions for you in the event you are badly injured
  5. Several sheets of paper with different kinds of intersections drawn on them so you can record the events on paper (to compare to the police report wehn you show your insurance company)
  6. A compass so you can mark North in the drawings or tell the police which way you were traveling when the accident occured.
  7. An extra key for your car , never hurts to have a spare
  8. Simple hand tools to disconnect the battery or to remove the bumper or other damaged pieces if the car needs to be flatbedded.

Steps to take after the accident.

1. Make sure everyone is ok
  2. DO NOT MOVE THE VEHICLES UNTIL INSTRUCTED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT* *(in states where police respond to no injury accidents)
  3. Carefully document / photograph the other drivers information.MAKE SURE TO GET A PIC OF THE OTHER CARS LICENSE PLATE/ PLATES If they dont have a vital piece of information DOCUMENT it and tell the responding officer*
  4. NEVER ADMIT FAULT
  5. Photograph the accident scene and everything in and around it that may help your case.
  6. Clearly and calmly explain what happened to the responding officer*
  7. Report the accident to your insurance company in a timely manner.
  8. stay on your/their insurance company until the matter is resolved.

I :heart: junkmen. :read:

I’m not 100% sure on this but.

In a case of a “fender-bender” do you suggest calling the police no matter what if its the other persons fault?

Yes. Always call the cops.

yes always call the police I should have added that

archivethis ?

Great write-up :clap:

great list of things to have with you…

and make sure to print out the instructions on what to do in-case of an accident also…

you do forget things when u see your pride n joy in one of her worst days ever…

Good stuff! :up:

Junk, if you didn’t know - if the vehicles are still capable of moving under their own power, it’s illegal NOT to move them off the roadway in Texas.

Dallas cops just flat out won’t come out sometimes if there’s not an injury - and when they do come out, they’ll sometimes refuse to file a report for you. The suburbs are a hell of a lot better though. Last wreck I was a witness to in Dallas, it took over 4 hours for the cop to respond, then he yelled at us because there were no serious injuries and took off (… SUV wedged under an 18 wheeler)

^^ Same here in Seattle. If the car is driveable, you are supposed to move it to the shoulder, I believe. And, I’ve heard of cases where the cops never ended up coming because there were no injuries.

Yeah, no matter where you are, move the cars to the damn shoulder if you don’t want to make it a pileup.

This forum is the first place I’ve heard of cops not responding to non-injury accidents

FYI: Walmart has a Fuji Film OUTDOOR disposable camera for $2.97 I found it under the desk of the photo developing dept.

Yeah please add anything you can to the list. I was always a fan of not moving until told to do so. The cunt who hit me while I was parked and inside my job claimed that I hit her after she was caught trying to run away. It was raining and she had hit my car so hard she pushed it into a monster puddle. I asked the cop 4 times if he was sure I could move it and if he got the correct location of the cars. :giggle: