The Syncro fix we've been looking for?

http://hostingprod.com/@gear-speed.com/detail_gears2_brass.html

Claims to be under $100

Any thoughts on this “carbon coated” claim?

What’s your sn on ht? I’m on that post too :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope someone tries them out for us. Hehe.

Jasper_DB1 on HT.

if it has better friction… would it eat away at the cone clutch faster?

damn those trannies be blingin!!! im guess is like $2K for that tranny. hmm good thing their local… hmmm

Hmmm,
Definetly not a bad idea, but I dont see how this will fix the whole problem. If you harden the syncro, you better harden the syncro ring, which wears equally with the ring. As a matter of fact, the ring is generally the bigger culperate when a grind develops.
It does make me happy to see that someone is addressing one of the worst parts about owning an older Honda.
J.

that place is about 10 minutes from my shop…

and why does a tranny shop have a 7 foot tein banner in the front office? :shrug:

jus got off the phone with them.

stock YS1 = 1K
stock YS1 w/ carbon coated synchros = 1,200
stock YS1 w/ lsd =2k

will sell 3rd 4th 5th sychros for 30.00 each. +10.00 shipping for each.

kinda gave me the run around when i asked if the parts are oem or aftermarket, telling me " i wont tell you who makes them" then says they are gearspeed synchros. then says they are made by an oem supplier. :shrug: i dunno maybe someone else can get some better info.

they had a write up on it on overboost, let me see if i can find it, saw this a while ago

yea here it is

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1152

i was talking to armaan(no im arman not armaan lol), another g2ic member like a month ago i think about this

Your right, overboost is selling them for $2,395 plus shipping and to ship to upstate NY where I am will cost another $207.00!
overboost store online

$1000 for a stock ys1? I’m assuming thats one of their fully “rebuilt” ones? Doesn’t seem like a bad price at all. Especially considering just finding a ys1 is usually gonna be $300-$500, and then its most likely gonna need a rebuild in not too long… and a rebuild alone could cost $1000.

Hey .J. did you get that email I sent you?

For those without logins (I shouldn’t be doing this but…)

Check it Out: Gear Speed Transmissions
We’ve all heard that Honda road and drag racers use “stock” transmissions. But how stock is stock?

By: Overboost Staff

Back in 1993, Junior Asprer was the first to break the 12-second front-wheel drive barrier on the drag strip. His car wasn’t much more than a 1991 Civic Si with aftermarket forged connecting rods, forged pistons and a turbo system. A lot of domestic V8 guys thought 12-seconds was all that could be done in a front-drive, and for a while, maybe the sport-compact drag racers believed them. As the turbos started getting bigger, the cars started going faster and those formative years of Honda drag racing were not much more than a game of who can pack the most power. Chassis setup? Traction on the line? Who cares! The domestic guys were sitting, watching, and waiting to see someone blow up a stock Honda transmission. After all, making a heavy domestic go that fast meant expensive transmission rebuilds or at least an axle swap. The domestic guys watched some more, and waited some more. That Honda trans just would not break.

But “unbreakable” doesn’t necessarily mean the transmission couldn’t use improvement. An utterly bulletproof trans doesn’t do the racer much good if shifting it is a chore that requires Arnold-Schwartzenegger-like arms. (Or perhaps the healthy yanks required to shift it will soon induce arms strong enough to run California.) Also, the harder a transmission is worked, the more gear synchronizers wear and the more hesitant the trans will become to grab the next gear. And finally, racers using stock transmissions are forced to build their engines so that the torque curve is compatible with OEM fuel-miser gear ratios. Unfortunately at the time nobody had the inclination or resources to change things like gear ratios.

Normally, selecting a Honda transmission for racing purposes meant going to the local dealer of your choice, selecting a trans, cleaning it up and installing in the vehicle. Maybe install a limited-slip differential somewhere along the line. The trans may last throughout its racing career in this condition, but even though we don’t know how, we know there must be some way to squeeze a little more blood from that box of gears. Enter Gear Speed Hi-Performance Transmissions, the newest division of H&A Transmissions, Inc. H&A has been building transmissions for Hondas and Acuras since Vanilla Ice was cool. Within the past two years they have decided to spawn off into the hi-performance market and hope to completely transform the face of amateur, pro and semi-pro Honda racing with the addition of Gear Speed. Here, Gear Speed rep Dave Henson shows off on of the many “writeable” at their assembly/disassembly workstations. Since this particular workstation is dedicated to racing transmissions, techs have written popular gear combinations on the walls for quick reference. That’s nice and all, but how does one turn the fuel miser trans into a racing trans?

First thing’s first, Gear Speed starts with a stock core just like everyone else does. Your normal Honda enthusiast might see the “incoming” rack and exclaim, “Whoa! Lookit all those racing transmissions!” As such, not all transmissions are 100 percent rebuildable, in which case broken or worn parts are discarded and replaced. Each transmission is given a cursory inspection and given a malady tag.

After the first inspection, the cores are completely torn down and the component pieces placed in baskets for thorough cleaning. In order to prevent future wear compatibility problems used transmission components are never mixed.

As the internals are cleaned, the transmission casing is washed and vibratory polished. Polishing serves a purpose greater than just looks; it also denies cracks a starting point by removing stress risers from the exterior. Transmission casings do just more than provide shelter for the gears. When you hit the gas, the gears want to spread apart. The effect is analogous to doing an abdominal exercise with one of those wheelbarrow-wheel things bought with the lofty hopes of achieving washboard abs. You lay flat and feel nothing. Try to lift your chest off the floor and you quickly realize how much strength it takes to keep that wheel where you want it.

After cleaning and inspection, replacement parts are selected as well as the gears required to get the ratios desired by the customer. Since stock transmissions suffer a steep dropoff between first and second gear ratios, one of Gear Speed’s most popular services is providing custom sets of ratios, allowing racers to keep their engine singing right in its torque sweet spot.

This rack contains several hundred brand new gear synchronizers, or “synchros” as they’re commonly referred to. The job of the synchro is to brake the countershaft, or output shaft, so that its RPM matches that of the layshaft, or input shaft. For example, the layshaft is tied to the engine through the clutch. With the clutch properly engaged, the layshaft RPM equals the engine RPM. Due to varying gear ratios, the countershaft’s RPM will bear a direct, linear relationship to engine RPM. However, since there are normally five different gear ratios to choose from, the countershaft’s RPM must be allowed to change independently of engine RPM. And the synchro is what makes this magic happen. When you hear gears clash in a manual trans, that’s not the actual drive gears you’re gearing, but rather the synchro gears getting eaten at a phenomenal rate. Kinda makes you want to apologize to your car, doesn’t it? Anyway, on to bigger and better things, weaknesses of the synchro is an obvious point to attack when digging for more performance, and Gear Speed has just the solution with a high-friction synchro gear that goes into their racing transmissions. Of course, higher friction means more wear, but this has been remedied with a special coating on the synchro that withstands extreme pressure. Service life? Equal to or better than stock we’re told.

Once the parts are ready for final assembly, each batch of transmission parts is assigned to a builder. Gear Speed’s builders have their own private workstations, and since each builder bears a certain amount of responsibility for the transmission, you can bet each is assembled with the utmost caution and precision. They are trained under the watchful eye of a seasoned transmission pro. Part of the learning process includes watching the experienced tech assemble 100 transmission, having the builder watch the newbie throw together another 100 gear boxes and eventually being let lose on their own only to have their finished product reinspected by the veteran.

“Building” a transmission is not simply a matter of slapping the gears into the casing either. Under power, each gear wants to spread the casing apart as well as slide across the layshaft or countershaft. Since the transmission case limits gear freeplay, clearance between the gears and the case is also crucial. Too much clearance and the transmission will never hold a gear. Too little, and heat and friction will cause an early failure. Additionally, too much clearance between the differential and the transmission casing will make the trans want to spit your diff out onto the street every time you hit the gas. Each transmission builder has their own clearance sweet spot—do you want yours selected by John’s Chop Shop or by a builder that has years of combined experience in bona fide racing transmissions?

Gear Speed is also now offering powdercoated transmissions in a variety of colors. And since the casing is normally deburred, Gear Speed is able to offer transparent powdercoats that look similar to sulfuric anodized finishes. A natural move, since powdercoating a trans really spiffs it up and adds minimal cost.

After completion, transmissions are racked for one last inspection, placed into a specially designed transmission shipping crate and sent to the customer. Depending on the model, these guys even pick up the shipping tab to have the stock core sent back to the shop to maybe one day become a shiny new powdercoated racing trans.

What does all this techno-babble mean to the Honda World? Well, think about going to a drive-thru and lunchtime and saying, “I’ll take a cheese burger, fries and a large soda.” Easy enough right? To save time and money they started offering consumers value meals; instead of going through the list all you need to say now is, “I’ll take a number one.” Gear Speed has eased the process of ordering a limited slip, carbon synchros, custom gear ratios and custom final drive kits by offering it all in one package. Instead of throwing all the stuff in a bag they put it in a custom finished case made to order. Hmm, we’ll take the Number Two trans with the Type R final drive please.

archivethis

Yeah… what robbie said :read:

so I could get those synchros for a y1 with LSD I might purchase that needs new synchros … and for under 100 bucks holy crap!