thermostat???????

i’ve got a '92 LS - automatic tranny.(but the tranny is’nt my problem at the moment, ha,ha.) when i’m at idle (stoplight, traffic, etc…) my tegs temp guage rises all the way up into the red zone. when i start moving/accelerating the temp guage goes back to normal - just under halfway untill i stop/idle again. is this my thermostat??? if so, where the hell is it located, what does it look like, and how do i replace it??? any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

if you follow the upper radiator hose to the engine itself…its located right there…take off the hose…and there should be i believe 3 bolts to take off…the thermostat is inside that gooseneck housing…i replaced mine about 2-3 months ago…i had the same symptoms…i checked the radiator and it was full of coolant…as well as the reserve tank…so my friend and i replaced it…didnt take too too long…just a matter of us finding the right tools in his big mess of them at his house…

i picked up the thermo from auto zone…was something like $12 maybe…make sure the little gasket is intact on the old thermo otherwise you’ll have to replace that…mine was still soft and in very good condition…so we reused it…so far…no cooling probs whatsoever

you could also try investing in a manual…like haynes,helms,chilton or something…will def help ya out

good luck!

Just out of curiosity have you made sure that your radiator fan is still working? It sounds more like a fan problem as oppsed to a thermostat problem.

Originally posted by VICIOUS
Just out of curiosity have you made sure that your radiator fan is still working? It sounds more like a fan problem as oppsed to a thermostat problem.

Yeah,sunn… from something similar I have experienced, you seem more accurate… on my sh!t, my radiator fan was not working… so when I would stop, lil or no air traveled thru the grill, causing the temp to climb very high, very slowly… while accelerating, unless you have a damaged radiator grill, air flows thru as if the fan worked properly so the temp tends to go down… but then again, the thermostat would coincide with the fans not working properly… one should first check the relays though since they are much easier to check and replace…

That is most likely a thermostat problem. It is NOT located near the upper radiator hose, it is where the lower radiator hose connects to the block and there are only two bolts holding it in.
It is a bitch to get to, but it isnt too bad. You can pick up a new thermostat for around $10…

Later,
BR

It is NOT located near the upper radiator hose, it is where the lower radiator hose connects to the block and there are only two bolts holding it in.

yes, B R is correct, it is at the end of the lower hose. two 10mm bolts if i remember correctly. it’s a biatch to get too, but you’ll save a couple $$$ if you do it yourself.

thanks guys for clarifying the whereabouts of the thermo. i don’t think i have a fan problem cause sometimes when i turn my car off the fan kicks on for about 5 or so minutes which seems odd to me. but you say it’s off the lower radiator hose at the block?? can i get to it from inside the engine bay or under the car?? the only reason i ask is cause its a pain in the ass to get my car off the ground… its LITERALLY 2" off the ground (slammed and kitted w/ a black widow). thanks guys!!!

You can get to it from the top of your engine. I dont think you would even want to try to get to it from under your car. Just follow your lower radiator hose and you will find the housing for it…
Just remember to pull your radiator cap before you start the job to depressurize the cooling system. Make sure to do it while the car is cold too, you dont want to burn yourself with the coolant…
Also, pick up some coolant because you will lose some during the install so you want to make sure to top it off.
Well, that about does it… One last thing though, remember to torqe the bolts that hold the thermostat housing on to 9 lbs/ft.

Later,
BR

yep…i was wrong…it was late…had a brain fart as to where it was located…just couldnt picture the motor for the life of me at 1230am

anyways…did you change the thermo and how did it go?

thanks man… ihave’nt done it yet. i need to find some time and someone with a torque wrench. i found where its located now its just a matter of “gettin dirty” - thanks guys

Hey, for good measure you might want to just replace the cap too.
Mine seemed to have gotten damaged after experiencing one too many overheats with your same symptoms. The fit of it wasn’t as tight as the new one as well.
So far, I’ve replaced the thermo and the cap.