Tighten up your steering!

yea it works, but it can be a problem if you dont do it right. i tightened mine too tight the first time and the wheel was hard as hell to turn and would stay in whatever position when i took my hands off the wheel lol.

in the post above from me, that had nothing to do with this mod, that was all from removing the guts from the valve body.

if you have loose steering though, this should* fix it.

• taken all other components are functioning properly

I put an EF rack in and made a custom urathane bushing for the passenger side to accept the bracket.

Delete

Funny story that happened to me so dont do it.

I thought that tightening your steering meant that you were tightening the response…duuhhhh So I double wrenched the nut and figured out " Man I can turn my steering wheel,". Remind you that I dont have PS. So I drove to work…scarry and later that night had to back the nut with a chisle.

dont do what I did

when adjusting your rack turn the wheel all the way to one side this outer most part of the rack gear are worn the least so if you adjust to this portion of your rack you wont have the trouble of your wheel binding you in the middle of a turn!!! if you adjust with your wheel straight you will almost definatly bind up or wear out the rack or worse your pump sooner!!

that info is gold. before i said “fuck it” and bought a new rack, i tried to adjust this way and it just made it really hard to turn the wheel once all the play was gone. i could be turning and let go of the wheel, and it would stay in the same spot haha. so i just bought a new one.

does it matter which way you turn it? and do you go all the way 'till the wheel is locked?

ok so i read this thread already and before it was good to do and now its a bad idea???

someone plz explain… i have no PS but i have a PS rack still just no pump and whatnot… will this affect me for worse or for good? i dont want to try a nd then i end up crashing … =/

no, dude, their talking about fucking up when they did it

Dont go ape shit tightening the nut and it will help a “fuckton” appearenty :smiley:

THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHY I LOVE THIS SITE! I did a manual EF conversion last month and could’nt figure out what that knocking noise was. Thank god i didnt get paid this week cause i would have bought new tie rods and ball joints for nothing. A 5 minute adjustment was all I needed! THANKS AGAIN GUYS! I LOVE THIS CAR! :auto:

the front of my car has a clicking noise when i turn will that fix it by doing this???

sounds like your axles are done… check if the boots are worn or cracked

i checked them about a month ago when i did my ball joints and they were fine its been making that noise for like 4 months now i thought it was the axles too but the boots are fine

Can someone elaborate on this “tightening your steering”. What are the symptoms to the car on a “loose steering” ride. I might be interested in doing this but I have to know if my car has this problem.

First my car seems to have a good response when sharp turning at low speeds. But when I drive on the freeway at speeds of say 65 and up, its fine but response time isn’t that good when I slightly jerk the steering wheel to the left or right.

Or does “tightening your steering” mean almost eliminating power steering?

I understand now^

Finally I decided to tighten the rack guide per factory manual.

“First my car seems to have a good response when sharp turning at low speeds. But when I drive on the freeway at speeds of say 65 and up, its fine but response time isn’t that good when I slightly jerk the steering wheel to the left or right.”

To elaborate: At high speeds, the car sways like a boat when changing lanes. Tightening the rack did NOT help any. What do you guys think the problem is? I’m leaning towards “sway bar bushings”?

I raised the car and inspected the bushing on them. There are hair line cracks on them but not torn. Also the Passenger side steering rack boot is torn in two.