timing problem?

I recently swapped out my CTR cams for some Skunk2 stage 1 cams. After the install, I went to set my timing and notice that
I needed to crank the distributor practically full advance to get 15-16. I double check and made sure that my crank was at TDC (white mark) and my cams gears are both pointing “up” with center marks level with my head The car starts fine and runs strong. No bogs or hesitation. With my CTR cam setup, I only had to move my distributor about half way for 16. Anybody have any ideas what may be causing this?

(cam gears are set to 0,0)

thanks
1.7NA

Your off one tooth more than likey. Double double check the cam gear placement in relation to the belt, or crank position.
Schu

Schu,

I’m pretty sure it’s not off by a tooth. I tripled check it before I put the car back together. I think if I’m off a tooth, the car wouldn’t hold a smooth idle and I wouldn’t be able to rev to redline. The car runs fine, idles fine and I can rev it over 7k without a problem. Just to make sure, I’ll probably check it again to make sure everything is lined up.

thanks
1.7NA

Originally posted by 1.7NA
[B]Schu,

I’m pretty sure it’s not off by a tooth. I tripled check it before I put the car back together. I think if I’m off a tooth, the car wouldn’t hold a smooth idle and I wouldn’t be able to rev to redline. The car runs fine, idles fine and I can rev it over 7k without a problem. Just to make sure, I’ll probably check it again to make sure everything is lined up.

thanks
1.7NA [/B]

the car can run fine if it’s off a tooth. Yes, check it again.

E-DA9,

I know if the exhaust cam is off a tooth, it will not run right.
Is it possible that the intake cam is off a tooth and still runs strong? Everything seems to line up fine including the pin holes. I recall reading somewhere that the Skunk2 cams pin holes don’t line up when everything is set to TDC. Not sure if the information was accurate or not.

Thanks
1.7NA