Timing question.

So I have a 91 obd0 db1 with a b20. The car runs and drives fine only I cannot get timing set perfectly. I can get timing on the 16 mark but the idle is around 1k rpm and the distributor is all the way advanced. When I turn down the idle it retards the timing to about 10 degrees. The belt is on correctly and all marks line up. There is a slight whine from that side of the motor so my brother and I are thinking a bad tensioner or spring.

My questions are when we do ttiming and jump the service port is there an indicator i.e. CEL or ecu light on signify the ECU is out of the loop? So i be looking at the distributor?

the mil should flash briefly when you jump the service connector

Thanks for the info Welfare!

remember though, if you’re wanting to retrieve codes, the led is located on the ecm.

Ok so I have some issues and I need your help.

Issue #1: when I go to time the car and it’s operating temp, I take a paperclip to jump the service port nothing happens, CEL doesn’t flash.

Issue #2: I can get timing to the 16 mark but the idle is around 1k, so I’m thinking maybe it’s the IACV or FITV causing high idle?

With the car warmed up I plugged the IACV whole and the idle dropped a lot. Also with the car warmed up the FITV still sucks in air.

I guess it’s possible they are both dirty or bad. I’m just hoping someone on here can give me some advice on what to do.

Tomorrow I’m going to clean the IACV, is there any way to take it apart and clean it really well?

[QUOTE=ProMcCown;2305782]Ok so I have some issues and I need your help.

Issue #1: when I go to time the car and it’s operating temp, I take a paperclip to jump the service port nothing happens, CEL doesn’t flash.

Issue #2: I can get timing to the 16 mark but the idle is around 1k, so I’m thinking maybe it’s the IACV or FITV causing high idle?

With the car warmed up I plugged the IACV whole and the idle dropped a lot. Also with the car warmed up the FITV still sucks in air.

I guess it’s possible they are both dirty or bad. I’m just hoping someone on here can give me some advice on what to do.

Tomorrow I’m going to clean the IACV, is there any way to take it apart and clean it really well?[/QUOTE]
There is 2 different pins down there, make sure you are jumping the right one for the CEL to come on.
Is your throttle cable to tight? Can cause the high idle.
If you haven’t cleaned those parts that would be a good idea, they get a lot of build up over the years.

[QUOTE=Sirtef9;2305789][QUOTE=ProMcCown;2305782]Ok so I have some issues and I need your help.

Tomorrow I’m going to clean the IACV, is there any way to take it apart and clean it really well?[/QUOTE]
There is 2 different pins down there, make sure you are jumping the right one for the CEL to come on.
Is your throttle cable to tight? Can cause the high idle.
If you haven’t cleaned those parts that would be a good idea, they get a lot of build up over the years.[/QUOTE]
I’m jumping the grey plug with two wires. There is one more plug with three wires and a black three pronged cover I guess plugged into it.
I don’t think it would be the throttle cable. I just changed manifolds and it has been doing since before I changed manifolds.
The ports were cleaned about May of last year. So I’ll clean them and see what happens.

Ok so I cleaned the IACV, the FITV was cleaned and adjusted yesterday.

So after I cleaned the IACV I put everything back together, idle still seems to be high.

Something is wrong, I don’t understand why the CEL won’t flash when I jump the port, this is the port I’m jumping:

The only way I can get timing correctly set is if the Distributor is all the way advanced and the idle is at 1k.

Any ideas of what it could be? I’m all out of ideas.

if you have suction from the fitv port, at the throttle bore, with the engine warm, there’s a problem with the fitv. you can confirm by taping off the port. if your idle issue goes away, replace the fitv
as for the service connector, first cycle the key on and make sure the cel bulb actually is there and operational. if it comes on for the self check, really jam the paperclip into those pins. being that they aren’t protected, over the decades they get corroded. if still no go, try jumping the wires themselves

and you can’t correctly set base timing without first going into base timing mode. and even when you do, your idle is going to be off if the fitv is stuck open, since it’s completely mechanical and not controlled by the ecm.
fix your fitv issue first, then attempt to set base timing

[QUOTE=welfare;2305867]and you can’t correctly set base timing without first going into base timing mode. and even when you do, your idle is going to be off if the fitv is stuck open, since it’s completely mechanical and not controlled by the ecm.
fix your fitv issue first, then attempt to set base timing[/QUOTE]

Thanks welfare. I did notice that when the car is warm the fitv does in fact suck air in. I’ve already screwed it in and cleaned it. I’ll take a spare one I have and see if that sorts out my idle issues.

Today I took care of my FITV problem (Ended up just blocking it off) and was able to get timing to 14 degrees with an ideal idle speed.

I still have an issue with the service port though. I cut the connector off and jumped the wires them selves. The CEL still won’t flash but I hear a sound like the indicators make, like a “click click click” I don’t know if that means it’s in base timing mode or not. I do know the CEL comes on when I cycle the key before starting. And when I’ve unplugged the IACV to adjust idle speed the CEL has come on.

Have you checked to see if your CEL bulb is still working? Might have burnt out…

The CEL is working, comes on every time I turn the key to the on position for the “self check” as welfare put it, also when I adjusted the idle the CEL came on when I disconnected the IACV today.