Tips on installing the rear tranny mount

I decided to add the ES inserts while I replaced my clutch on my 92 DA and now I am having issues getting the damn rear mount back on and attached to the motor/tranny. I installed the bolts that hold it to the rear crossmember and the bolt that goes through the mount itself but I cannot for the life of me get the damn bolts lined up and attached to the motor!

Does anybody have a tip on how to re-inistall it? I know it is a pain but anybody with a trick or tip would be greatly appreciated.

I searched but only came up with “it is a pain in the ass” posts!

Thanks in advance for your help!

its a pain in the ass, about sums it up

do you have a picker, unbolt the front and tranny mount. set the rear and work counter clockways back around to the front

worked for me:shrug:

just wiggle that mount around I used a screw driver and rubbed it in the hole to check to see if the holes matched up.
it takes time but it will go

Whenever trying to get this type of stuff I use a combination of:

• Make sure other mounts are loose so that the engine has some movement… wiggle that sucker!

• “un-load” the mounts. Use a jack under the motor to take some of the load off of the mounts, this often frees up some binding that can occur if the engine isn’t perfectly placed because of a mount or two not being connected yet.

When doing engine swaps here is the order in which I usually do my mounts:

1. Lower engine down into bay and drop trans down below the mount. Other side mount should be above the mounting location.

2. Wiggle the engine around and put the rear mount bracket back there. Doesn’t have to be in place, just get it behind the engine and in the right general orientation and location.

3. Level out the engine and start to place the two side mounts. As you do this make sure the rear bracket isn’t binding and that it’s sorta coming into place.

4. Loosely get the two side mounts in place and bolts threaded a little. Get the rear bracket into place and thread in bolts. Engine will still be really loose at this point so you have a lot of play in the engine. Sometimes raising/lowering the engine will help to line up bolts.

5. Once all the other mounts are in there loosely, install the front mount.

6. Tighten it all down.

To replace mine I loosend the rear mount, loosend rear mount stiffener to the tranny (three bolts), and loosend the front engine mount.

I had to move the stiffener/brace up and down to get the rear mount to move. The mount would not go up/ vertical through the space of the stiffener/brace. I had to pull up on the stiffener/brace, then push down on the mount and remove the mount sideways from the bottom of the stiffener/brace.

The results: my mount was not broken not even scarred. I changed it anyways, it ended up being my front mount that was broken. I was pissed, with 7 to 8 hours wasted on a non-broken mount.

take the front mount off, and use a jack to tip the motor. slowly get someone to ease it down while you line it up. be patient. i had to take off my intake manifold brace, it helped a lot too. lots more space with it out of the way. although the term '‘space’ is relative when working on that mount, or a honda in general.

it is a HUGE pain in the ass, and my advice to anyone is that unless this mount is totally FUCKED, leave it until a motor swap. having done it, i am sure i could do it now in half the time. but i wouldn’t want to.

hope i’ve helped.