Tranny grinds in 3rd

Dont know if the synchro has gone bad or if the gear is just being a pain in the butt… Doesnt grind when its cold, or at idle. There’s no difficulty shifting into 3rd, just gives a little grind. This is the only gear it does this, upshifting and downshifting. Clutch is good and the pedal gets pushed to the floor. Any ideas?

try adjusting your clutch cable…if thats not good change your tranny fluid and use either honda mtf or syncromesh. and be easy on her and try running out second and little and skipping to fourth on ocassion.

Ya you can do all those bandaid fixes to it, but what you really need is to get in there and replace the syncros. 3rd is the most popular to go out first and so many honda tranny’s have the 3rd gear grind.

You can either deal with it or spend about $150 and an entire day putting new syncros in. I did it on my brother Ys1 and my friends Y1 (both 3rd gear) and they turned out fine.

where did you get syncros for the y1

lucky man…my tranny grinds all gears at high rpm’s :frowning:

waiing to rebuild it for when it goes in the paint booth, 2 birds with one stone

good luck man

joe

where did you get syncros for the y1

From the dealer :frowning: Thats why it was $150 :mad:

Mine grinds slightly going into 5th, but only if i’m coming from high rpms in another gear… 1st grinds every once in a while too, although i know for a fact my clutch is going bad if not bad already so… time for some major work :clap:

I know this might be a stupid question but when was the last time you changed your MTF/oil in your tranny. If you’ve heard of Syncromesh I’d say go with that. I didn’t think it would be as good as it was on my tranny. I’m not lieing when I say that all my gears would grind from 2nd to 5th but now I have zero gear grinds at all, I mean I can rev high and it won’t even grind. So give that a try also.