tranny shakes/noises bad when reverse

1st-5th gear is fine like it should be but when i reverse the tranny shakes very bad as soon as im about to release the clutch pedal, and makes a horrible noise like something is loose. it almost sounds like when the starter is loose when cranking. (it was loose on me before thats how i know) i checked it and its on tight. any ideas?

How is your axles?

there fine…i think, i dont feel (80 on highway very steady) or hear anything wrong with them when i turn. maybe the mounts are going?

Just go down there and check if u havent.

Axles can sometimes give you that vibe/shake as u reverse or while in first gear just as u about to take off like 1-3mph it rattle like hell and thats what i had before. Also you might have worn bearings or loose inside How lowered is your car? And when was the last time u replaced them? OEM?

Yea check your mounts while u at it but i doubt its that.

i had them replaced maybe a year ago because they broke and bended the crap out of my fenders, i really dont think their oem either, but yeah ill get them checked tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.:up:

Somehow you shellacked your flywheel and toasted the clutch in that direction. I’ve had to pry the clutch off the flywheel before. Nice driving, that.

what is this shellacked

During clutch application theres some slippage, maybe more with some peoples driving talents. The surface is made up of organic (read vegetation-like) and inert material like gypsum, fiberglass and resins (used to be asbestos) to which you add friction which causes heat which causes gases from the resins which disintegrate the organics and inerts and then it glues itself to the flywheel. You can do this to your brakes if not broken in properly. When using reverse you’re not pulling the car so nothings trailing, I liken reverse to trying to do a wheelie in our type of cars. By an odd chance have you checked your motor mounts? So anyway Timmy, Mr. Peabody has to go back to his time machine.

maybe i did wear out the clutch i just learned how to drive stick like a few months ago, and i just noticed i have a bad habit of holding the pedal when i reverse.

Maybe you have hot spots too

O.K, it’s almost beer-thirty. Before I go, I want to reiterate that you check your mounts.

it was my axels. thanks for the help:rockon:

You’re welcome.

Just as i said the first time. Great and did u replace just one or both? Well i am planning to replace both of mines since its been giving me hell.

Any no problem I knew it was the axles because i been having it just havent had time on replacing them.

RukDa9 - I am glad you found the problem, but you should still have a look at your front mount as suggested before. The front mount is the torque mount for the engine/trans while in reverse, and it may have some damage to it from all that shaking. Just my $.02.

Also, just a general FYI for RiccyLSR (and others), the English word “mine” does NOT have an “s” on the end of it contrary to popular piss-poor grammar.

yes, both have been replaced.