Tranny shot..question on prices

well, my automatic tranny in my 91 RS has gone to ****…doesnt shift much and slips like a mofo…anyway, i just wanted to know how much money i would expect to spend to have a manual tranny put in…i.e. how much for the tranny itself and how much would i expect to have it installed…any help would be greatly appreciated :bow:

well you’re looking at $400-600 for a used tranny, and about 5-6 hours in labour. Around $700-800 would be a fairly good deal for everything.

You should get a b16 cable tranny instead of the LS, it’ll take a couple points off your 1/4.

Re: Tranny shot…question on prices

Originally posted by blitted_master
well, my automatic tranny in my 91 RS has gone to ****…

he has an Auto Tranny …

i’ve seen auto trannys go for $100 from b16a swaps… Labor will be about the same on an Auto…

:slight_smile:

oh, ya my bad I thought he was 5speed, I don’t know anything about Automatics.

You should do a coversion since you have to change it anyways. I don’t know how mich labour involved in the conversion though. And plus you’d need to buy a clutch as well, something to think about though…

actually, he asked how much to get a Manual TRanny put in, so I was right!

You’ll have to buy a clutch too, that’d be like 400-500 for OEM, or you can get a cheaper aftermarket one for 200 or so, it all depends how much cash you have on hand.

As for labour, it’s like 5 hours to swap manual trannies, I don’t know what’s involved in a 5speed conversion. But there’d be the issue of installing a clutch pedal…

maybe someone who’s done the conversion will help you out

HAHAHA… ok i’m dumb…:owned:

i here quotes between $1500 and $2000 on Auto to Manual Swaps all the time … do a search on this it comes up from time to time on here… most people recommend just sell the auto and then buy a manual…

Short list of things i can think of off the top of my head are below…

Manual Tranny
Manual Tranny ECU
Peddle assembly
Flywheel
Clutch kit
Clutch cable
Guage cluster ( might be able to use the old one but it would look kinda funky)

this is just a short list i’m sure i’m forgetting something

try this thread

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16707&highlight=Auto+Manual+Swap

Hey dude, I’m just wondering why you got the Ti Retainers with your 402’s? Do you do alot of lap-racing? Stock retainers will last much longer than the Titanium ones, unless you’re revving 6000+ for like 10 minutes straight.

Originally posted by scooby_dooby
Hey dude, I’m just wondering why you got the Ti Retainers with your 402’s? Do you do alot of lap-racing? Stock retainers will last much longer than the Titanium ones, unless you’re revving 6000+ for like 10 minutes straight.

i’m not going to highjack this guys thread if you want to know about my set up just e-mail me…

Originally posted by WebHitch
i’m not going to highjack this guys thread if you want to know about my set up just e-mail me…

way to not whore the thread dood :up:

I’ve helped in an auto-maunal conversion for beatdown91ls’s car- went very smooth. If you follow the list Shenrie set up for the job along with the parts you will be fine. Between 4 of us doing it for the first time, we prolly spent 8 woking hours each doing the job. I would say once we have all done it before, it might take us 1/4th the time to do it , seeing as we wouldnt be as scared and had experience on this. Also it depends on the tool you have to use. If you have pneumatic tools and a lift available the job becomes much easier.

HTH

:bow:

thanks for all the help/suggestions etc…i think ill end up just putting in another automatic for now, and once i have enough for an engine swap, then ill have it changed over to manual. thanks for not whoring my thread btw