Transmission/hybrid question for tranny GODS

I need an opinion.

I just bought a GS-R YS1, It has a big hole in the top half of the case and the bottom half has a chip out of it on the surface that mates to the top. I’m ok with it, it made it a lot cheaper. I’m waiting on a rebuild kit and x-mas (when I’ll be home and have a place to install tranny)

My question is this:

I have my LS YS1 case which I’ll be using out of my car, do I need to keep this case for reference of some sort, or should I just keep the gearset/shifterfork assembly and diff and chunck the case now?

To clarify:
CAN I chunk this case or will I regret it for some reason.

Here are pics if you are curious about damage.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robinvanessa@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/gsr+tranny&.view=t

I’m pretty sure someone tried to dissasemble this thing once without releasing the snap ring and hammered on that knob (which broke off) and pried in between the two halves (which also broke) nice jb weld job though :stuck_out_tongue:

I would trash the case on that one and swap the internals to your LS YS1 case. Everything from the GSR one will swap right over to the LS case.

That is the answer you were seeking, right??

Later,
BR

Yes, thank you.
I just needed to hear someone else tell me that before I chunked it (maybe I’ll try to recycle it). It’s hard to make that leap.

dialogue in my head “It’s such a large car part, obviously you will need it some day even though it’s ruined”

I’m sure you know how it goes.

Since you will have a couple transmissions apart soon, will you count some teeth and add to this thread? I’m really curious about the ‘real’ gearing of the different B series cable transmissions. I should have a JDM S1 (w/LSD) and a US 90-91 LS (when I find one) to add to it soon. maybe someone will even move it for me someday.

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71549

If I have a camera handy when I get around to that gear swap then I will count the teeth on both of the trannys for you.
I am borrowing a camera at the moment and that is why I have taken so many pics lately…

Later,
BR

Thanks, I have no idea what you are talking about with the camera, but thanks

Originally posted by buymysoul
Thanks, I have no idea what you are talking about with the camera, but thanks
I dont have a digicam. I have been on a posting spree of pics lately because I am borrowing one… blah

Later,
BR