Trunk support

I thought I made a support thread on here but it must have been when the forum was having issues. Pretty sure it was on Facebook. Anyway, I’ve been using this trunk support made from corrugated plastic sheets for about 4 years now. It has held up well. I just happened to turn it over today to check for a leak and it looks like there’s some rub spots that’s actually removing the paint in the trunk well. Not surprising due to age, but it makes sense that’s why Honda put those felt pads on the OEM one. I glued some drawer liner rubber pads over the major rub areas.

2 Likes

Good stuff, i got a subwoofer just sitting on top of the spare tire lol. Will try and make a trunk support like this :ok_hand:

You can get Coroplast from sign stores. They are usually in 4mm thicknesses. Given that the support ridges run in one direction, I overlayed the sheets at 90 degrees to get both horizontal and vertical support. The thing is really rigid and isn’t heavy at all compared to people who have build these with plywood. It’s also naturally waterproof :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the measurements, I finally replaced my taillight gaskets so I’m ready to put a trunk support in there lol. But of course now my hatch doesn’t want to close because the plastic thing broke off. I have two twigs jammed in there allowing it to close :rofl:

What plastic thing?

Isn’t there a black plastic piece that goes on the bottom part of the trunk latch? I thought it’s what pushes it down far enough for it to latch. There’s a broken off piece on mine.

I got a piece of 3/8" plywood. It’s way more solid than the thin plastic factory piece. I can get away with it, since I live in the dry Rocky Mtn climate. You guys living in all that humidity probably can’t do that.

1 Like

I am not familiar with anything on the metal piece. I know there’s a trick that if your truck has issues latching closed, you can wrap some tape on the latch part (on the hatch, that’s visible) and the helps engage the lock at the bottom when you push it down (i.e. you don’t have to slam it)

Not unless we painted the plywood. But plywood is heavy. The dual layer keeps the weight down and when you need to replace your tire or whatever, it’s not a big deal to remove. We’re getting old bro LOL

Ah okay, I’m going to do that then, thanks. I was going to put washers in between that latch but one of the bolts is frozen and it stripped so I decided I’ll fix it at a later date…

Yeah that’s a typical problem. It’s not ideal but the trick works :slight_smile: