TurboG2's Track Days

hufflepuff, what are your alignment specs like? I’m sorta surprised that you felt the car was loose with the Progress bar. I have the progress bar + 700f/600r spring rates and feel that it’s quite neutral. Of course I don’t have too much to compare it to. With so many others running rear bias spring rates and really beefy bars I assume that most of the fast guys are running a much more slippery setup compared to mine. I’ve been meaning to try out swapping my spring rates front to rear. Oh, it should be mentioned too that I also have a Suspension Techniques front sway bar, so that likely helps balance the rear bar a bit. I have an ASR brace and Eibach ITR adjustable rear sway bar which will be installed eventually - just way too many other things that need sorting out first.

5.5" front height to body
6.0" rear height to body
Non adjustable front camber
Rear camber shimmed one washer
Zero front toe
1/16" total rear toe in
33psi front
28psi rear
maxxis rc1 205/50/15 on 15x8
Tokico illuminas
12k/10k springs
Stock sways

I found that I went faster than when I removed the progress 22mm rear bar because I could push harder without the rear end coming around. The car was easier to drive, even though it felt slower and more pushy. The car was loose in the fast stuff, which didn’t let me really push to the limit.

So for my driving style and ability, stability and the ability to confidently push to the absolute limit beats a loose car that feels fast. I’ve always found it curious that my setup is opposite from most folks, but i’ve had a lot of success with it.

Interesting. I wonder how my ride height compares to yours, I’ve never measured mine like you listed - is that from ground to bottom of pinch molding? And what are your tracks like? Most of the ones I frequent have some pretty tight sections, perhaps that’s why a lot of guys here run a loose setup. I’m also surprised that you’re running some rear toe IN and still wanted some added rear stability. So many factors to consider!

correct, bottom of pinch molds to the ground. Summit and VIR average 80-85mph, with some 90-100 mph corners. My car pushes in the slow sections, and is sometimes nervous and loose in the fast stuff. i had a video of a scary slide at over 90 mph, with the FACTORY rear swaybar. i was on the throttle after turn-in, so it’s not like it was lift throttle, nor was it steering-induced oversteer - the car just loosens up at high speed.

i run just a hair of rear toe in; not much, because i want to reduce straight-line scrub as much as possible since i don’t have much power.

perhaps because i run front rake? This may give me a little aero downforce on the front end, and the roll centers may be biased towards oversteer.

Seats came in yesterday. Assembled and test fitted.

Sweet!

I’ve recently joined and have been looking through your thread the last couple of days! I applaud you, love it!

Thanks.

Installed the roll cage, seats, and 6 points. Car feels significantly more rigid which is great.

Prepping

Stripping sound insulation with dry ice, this was hands down the worst thing I have ever done to a car. I dont ever want to do it again F that.

Stripped sound insulation

Cage and harnesses installed

Went out to Summit point for their winter auto cross event. Not really autocross in the sense of cone dodging, but a section of the track used for the event. This format was new to me, you immediately have to be on your game with cold tires. They have multiple tracks at Summit Point, these 2 being the Shenandoah circuit and the Jefferson, they ran Jefferson in the AM and Shenandoah in the PM. I was 11th fastest overall out of 70 for the AM session, and 12th fastest overall for the PM session, and the fastest street FWD car there, there was a crazy insane scion thing with a bazillion horsepower, massive front mount, oil cooler hanging out of the hood, aero and R-comps in competition FWD he was the only faster FWD car. But the car felt great with the new seats and cage. I felt more feed back from the rear, I can 100% feel the car set which is great. I cant wait to get it out for an actual track day.

Yes! Nice man, cage and seats are awesome updates. I hear you on the dry ice. I did my trunk with dry ice in the dead of winter (20 degree day) and it still wasn’t the easiest thing. I couldn’t even imagine doing it in normal temps.

TurboG2 … Stock motor?

I’m curious since I just picked up my g2 not that long ago and looking into using it as a weekend fun car/ track car. Stock b18a1 with new head gasket, fresh ls trans and a new water pump.

[QUOTE=Vegeta;2331557]TurboG2 … Stock motor?

I’m curious since I just picked up my g2 not that long ago and looking into using it as a weekend fun car/ track car. Stock b18a1 with new head gasket, fresh ls trans and a new water pump.[/QUOTE]

I’ll let Turbo G2 talk to his setup (hint, it’s not stock :wink: ). But a stock engine is just fine, even preferred, when you’re just starting out. Just make sure everything maintenance wise is good to go. Here’s a good beginner’s guide:

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?217287-Beginner-s-guide-to-track-days

[QUOTE=Vegeta;2331557]TurboG2 … Stock motor?

I’m curious since I just picked up my g2 not that long ago and looking into using it as a weekend fun car/ track car. Stock b18a1 with new head gasket, fresh ls trans and a new water pump.[/QUOTE]

No, this link will explain everything about my engine setup.
http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?215538-TurboG2Teg-s-Engine-swap-mania-thread

And as hufflepuff stated, stock engine is just fine. Spend the money on other things like brakes, tires, and suspension. And dont forget about track day entry fees those are not exactly paid with pennies.

[QUOTE=hufflepuff;2331560]I’ll let Turbo G2 talk to his setup (hint, it’s not stock :wink: ). But a stock engine is just fine, even preferred, when you’re just starting out. Just make sure everything maintenance wise is good to go. Here’s a good beginner’s guide:

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?217287-Beginner-s-guide-to-track-days[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the helpful link bud!

Painted the cage, finished stripping out the sound deadening. Everything is finished and ready

Looks great! Your sound deadening came out a lot easier than mine! I still need to go through the whole floor with some goo-gone to remove the residue. Probably helped that you had that pellet dry ice, I was only able to find big chunks which I had to break into pieces.

HAHAHAHA. Funny. No. That sound deadening did not come out easy. Yea it came out in big sections in spots but I went through an entire can of Xylene cleaning the areas. I have a whole trash bag full of disposable shop towels. I have about 20 hours into that job. It was awful. Thank god I had a respirator as I probably would not have any brain cells left. I don’t know about goo-gone, I have a feeling that stuff might laugh at it. It was difficult even with Xylene and that stuff is industrial strength. I have a new motivation not to wreck this car on track, not for my safety, or financial concerns, but to not have to do this job again on another shell.

Haha! OK, so I just rushed through mine and you put in the work! I tried the goo gone and it worked but it also removes a little bit of the paint/primer. I’ve never used xylene before. I hear ya about not wrecking it. After my accident (not track related) I’m now looking at repair and then painting the whole car - it’s a whole lotta money that is really just gonna get thrown away since it’s not going to make me go any faster. I thought about starting with another chassis, but like you I already have so much time into this one that it just didn’t seem to make sense.

If you do end up using Xylene be sure to use it in a well ventilated area, get a respirator, and some nice thick rubber gloves. It is really nasty stuff. I think if I do have to do this job again I will find an even stronger chemical that will remove the residue faster. And I will plan to have the interior painted so if it removes paint I will not be too concerned about it.

Went out to the 3rd round of the refridgeratorbowl autocross event out at Summit. This time it was raining in the AM and the track was drenched. So it made for a good learning experience. I have some video I will post up of a run in the rain, but my damn GoPro started malfunctioning half way through that session, so I dont have a video of my fastest run or any of the PM runs.

Here is a nice pic of the car on the way out, it got filthy from the rain in the morning.