Understanding how the horn works...

So hopefully I can explain my question… basically I need to wire a separate horn button from my wheel, maybe on the console somewhere. I installed a MOMO wheel awhile back with a hub designed for cruise control… which my car doesn’t have, therefore the contact ring required to work with the non cruise control hub is no longer in use.

I never use my horn but would like to have a button relocated in order to use it in an emergency or to get someones attention. I just have no idea how the horn works and I can’t figure it out from the diagram.

My impression of a typical horn would be the button acting as a switch in-line that when pressed completes the circuit and allows current to flow. However from my inspection it seems like the line ends at the steering wheel, as in no wires return to the horn or power after the horn is pressed. This would imply that the steering wheel button is the last piece of the puzzle and once pushed simply grounds the system and activates the horn? Therefore I could simply splice into the wire before the contact ring and put a button in with a ground to the chassis so when pushed all it does is complete and ground the system?

Thanks for your help!

[QUOTE=Boostpyro90;2328731]So hopefully I can explain my question… basically I need to wire a separate horn button from my wheel, maybe on the console somewhere. I installed a MOMO wheel awhile back with a hub designed for cruise control… which my car doesn’t have, therefore the contact ring required to work with the non cruise control hub is no longer in use.

I never use my horn but would like to have a button relocated in order to use it in an emergency or to get someones attention. I just have no idea how the horn works and I can’t figure it out from the diagram.

My impression of a typical horn would be the button acting as a switch in-line that when pressed completes the circuit and allows current to flow. However from my inspection it seems like the line ends at the steering wheel, as in no wires return to the horn or power after the horn is pressed. This would imply that the steering wheel button is the last piece of the puzzle and once pushed simply grounds the system and activates the horn? Therefore I could simply splice into the wire before the contact ring and put a button in with a ground to the chassis so when pushed all it does is complete and ground the system?

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

Personally i want my horn where it was designed to be but that is besides the point :slight_smile:

Your on the right track. The BLU/RED lead on the steering wheel is responsible for the horn circuit. Short that lead against the chassis and the horn should beep.

[QUOTE=enforcer;2328800]Personally i want my horn where it was designed to be but that is besides the point :slight_smile:

Your on the right track. The BLU/RED lead on the steering wheel is responsible for the horn circuit. Short that lead against the chassis and the horn should beep.[/QUOTE]

Thank you good sir. Yes, I agree about the horn position, however without the contact ring you cant use the center horn without ripping the wire when turning the wheel, unless you leave a foot or two of wire so you can turn the wheel and let the wire coil up.

Anyway, its the hub I have and im going to use it… unless a non-cruise control hub pops up. Ill find a way not to hack it up so its reversable though. Ill try to use a blank switch for the button so theres not a big stupid button on my dash.

I used a paper clip on mine i removed the original wire from the terminal and bent a paperclip so i could screw it to the terminal and it makes contact with the backside of the hub then test with the hub on pretty simple and cheap. Just make sure its not,too long and only makes contact with the inner hub where the ring would go.