USDM vs. JDM (90-91 AND 92-93) front bumper support comparison thread. PICTURES.

To the members who lurk and actively participate on G2IC, this subject needs to be addressed.

Through my pursuits to build my Integra I’ve acquired knowledge pertaining to so many things, it’s truly hard to fathom it all. Through personal acquisition, I can say I’ve owned every bumper support out there; USDM and JDM. Some of you may be wondering why I even took the time to make this thread. “It’s just a bumper support, who cares?” ALL OF YOU DESIRING TO OWN A JDM LIGHTWEIGHT FRONT BUMPER SUPPORT, THIS PERTAINS TO YOU. Get your facts straight. This thread is being made for you all to visually see the distinct differences of the JDM 90-91 front bumper support and the JDM 92-93 front bumper support. They are indeed different, contrary to which many believe to be false. Never seen a 92-93 JDM front bumper support? Well you’ve come to the right place.

To begin, lets compare the three types of bumper supports offered for the DA chassis. From TOP to bottom, we have:
• USDM 90-91 front bumper support. This thing is a behemoth. We all should know what these look like.
• JDM 90-91 lightweight bumper support. This is the most common JDM bumper support we all see for sale.
• JDM 92-93 lightweight bumper support. OMG, it really does exist! This is the most uncommon of them all.

Let’s break it down now…

First, we have the USDM front bumper support.

This ginormous piece of metal comes standard on all United States and Canadian manufactured 90-93 Integras. Like aforementioned, we all should have an idea of what these look like. Although the one pictured came from a 90-91 Integra, the 92-93 version, all though slightly different, is just as huge. I need not waste my time elaborating on something we practically all have. Let’s move on.

Next up, the reason for this threads existence. Here we have the two JDM lightweight front bumper supports.

Up top is the JDM 90-91 front bumper support, and below it we have the JDM 92-93 front bumper support. From just a quick glance, one can easily tell that there are distinct differences between the two. The KEY differences are the two lower mounting sections (which secure the bumper support to the bumper support brackets) and the centered, rectangular plate with that magnificent squiggly line in the center.

So why are they different? Why didn’t Honda just make one version of the DA Integra lightweight front bumper support? I can’t answer that question for you, but I can show you WHY they’re different. Four words: Bumper support mounting brackets.

As pictured above, the JDM 90-91 front bumper support utilizes the OEM (USDM/JDM/CDM/EDM/NZDM) 90-91 front bumper support mounting brackets. Likewise, the JDM 92-93 front bumper support utilizes the OEM 92-93 front bumper support mounting brackets. Simple, right? They go hand in hand; the bumper support must match up to the correct mounting brackets.

90-91 JDM front bumper support and mounting bracket…

92-93 JDM front bumper support and mounting bracket…

Lastly, we have the OEM bumper support mounting brackets. From LEFT to right, we have:
• OEM 90-91 bumper support mounting brackets
• OEM 92-93 bumper support mounting brackets

As seen above, the differences between the two mounting brackets are drastically distinctive. One would have to be severely impaired to confuse them. The height differences are compensated by the front bumper supports. The 90-91 mounting brackets are very shallow, so the JDM 90-91 front bumper support’s mounting tabs sit farther back. The 92-93 mounting brackets are far taller, so the JDM 92-93 front bumper support’s mounting tabs sit much closer to the front.

Now everyone knows the difference! Congratulations. To wrap things up, I know this question will be asked, so I’ll just answer it now.

Q: “If I have a 92-93 front bumper, can I use the JDM 90-91 front bumper support?”
A: “Yes, ONLY if you use the 90-91 mounting brackets in conjunction. If you try to use a JDM 90-91 front bumper support with 92-93 mounting brackets, your bumper will NOT line up. And vice-versa. You can use a JDM 92-93 front bumper support with 92-93 mounting brackets on a 90-91 front bumper. I’ve never met anyone who’s encountered this problem, so chances are you won’t either.”

[SIZE=4]THIS BETTER CLEAR UP THE CONFUSION.[/SIZE]
I’m tired of seeing false information being spread around and watching people claim their JDM 90-91 front bumper support to be a 92-93. IT’S NOT. Let this thread be used to guide the lost and weary. Even though this is as clear cut as it gets, if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask.

Happy New Years,

Erik

[SIZE=2]BUMPER SUPPORTS ARE NOT FOR SALE. Do not plague my thread with desperate offers. Ain’t nobody got time for that.[/SIZE]

No joke, I was searching for such a thread a day before you posted. Very valuable information and the pictures are superb. Thank you for posting!

this needs to be stickied

What is the weight deference between a USDM and JDM bumper supports?

Good stuff Erik! archivethis

Solid post :up:

I didn’t address this, my apologies about that. The differences in weight are significant. The USDM front bumper supports weigh a little over 28 pounds, and the JDM lightweight front bumper supports weigh in at around 3.5 pounds.

Thank you for the kind words my friend, I’m glad somebody has found the information useful. I’ll try to keep up on this thread to ensure that the pictures stay intact.

Word. :rockon:

Thanks Colin! I’m all for it being archived, as long as the moderators feel the same.

Thanks, Alex. I finally took the time to do it!

Hey oldskooljdmda9 I’m glad we have a member like u!!! :hugs:

This post is solid!!

Erik, email me please!
geraldrabot@yahoo.com

i have a newbe Q (so plz dont get mad)

Q: i have a 92 da, i want to put a 91 bumper, can i swap over my 92 usdm reinforcement onto the 91 bumper???

anthonyfa18, when you swap over the 90-91 front bumper to your 92-93 Integra, you can utilize your OEM 92-93 bumper support as long as you trim the bumper support styrofoam to conform to the backside of the 90-91 bumper. There is a Teg Tip that describes a 90-91 to 92-93 front end conversion (you’ll just have to switch it up since you’re coverting to a 90-91 front. Pictured is the correct support, so get it to look like that). Here’s the link: http://forums.g2ic.com/tegtips/exterior/13.html

Hope this helps you out.

Great info, and MUCH APPRECIATED!!

What’s the story with the rear JDM bumper reinforcement? Direct fit to all rear bumper covers with no changing brackets?

Thank you, sir. I’m happy to hear other members are finding this thread useful. Concerning the JDM rear bumper support, there’s only one type, which fits all 90-93 Integras. It mounts to the chassis underneath the tail lights and is a direct fit to both rear bumpers. The only difference with installation is that there is no mounting tab/screw location behind the rear license plate section. Everything else lines up perfectly. If I had a spare one laying around, I would compare it to ts bulky USDM counterpart, as well.

Just checking up to make sure all the pictures are intact, which they are. If anyone experiences image problems let me know and I’ll work on getting them fixed as quickly as I can.

Happy New Years again.