Valve Cover Paint Before / After

Before:

After:

Nice 100 times better! I would have chosen VHT Wrinkle paints though for an OEM look.

It might be the lighting or something, but it was in fact painted with red VHT Wrinkle paint.

It may just not have wrinkled as much as the OP was used to. Wrinkle paint is a bit difficult to work with. It’s nice that you can go with a mild wrinkle or a more severe wrinkle (based on how thick you lay on the paint) but getting it to match something is what’s tricky, and even getting it to be an even wrinkle all over the part can be a problem.

Looks good. I just refinished my Mugen replica piece not long ago.

Same thing happened to me.

Looks good. I painted mine flat black :(. Came out great, except now I hate the color.

Did you paint over the emblem and letters, then sand the paint off?

[QUOTE=Prof007;2312857]Looks good. I painted mine flat black :(. Came out great, except now I hate the color.

Did you paint over the emblem and letters, then sand the paint off?[/QUOTE]

I painted mine not too long ago and just put Chapstick one the emblem and letters before I painted it. Once it was dry I took a razor blade to it and the chapped part came right off

Good job.

I did a few DIY vht wrinkle rattle can painted covers back early 2000, but the pita part i had was always having to re-do it every 2yrs or so cause it wouldn’t look as good as it was when new. It wasn’t bad for DIY & spending $20 for primer/paint & 3-4 hours total labor.

The bad thing about paint was that:

• it soaks up oil vabors
  • can’t clean it with most cleaners/chemicals… so you can only use hot water & light soap.
  • hard to get texture consistant
  • chips off & eventually flakes off due to heat

When I look at the labor time that goes into re-paining a valve cover every 2-3yrs, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.
Since 2009 I’ve gone with powder coating since it’s more durable, oil resistant, uniform wrinkle texture, durable coating (industrial polymer) & best of all doesn’t require re-application.

I can’t take credit for doing it myself. My neighbor actually did it for me at his shop. What saved him time is that the black paint actually flaked off with compressed air, so the clean up process was fairly quick. He already had the paint on hand from doing another valve cover, so it worked out.

He also said the same thing that it’s likely it will start flaking off in about a year or two. I really don’t mind and it’s not that big of a deal to me to have it 100% perfect since this is currently my daily driver. Maybe down the road when it retires as a daily driver and turns into a project, I’ll consider a more durable and better looking coating.