Vibrating/Rattling Shifter In Gear???? HELP!?!

My shifter rattles/vibrates when I’m in gear…it seems to me that the stick moves around a little too much when it’s in gear also…I was wondering if its a common problem or can be fixed or anything…in case it may help…I have a Spoon short throw shifter…

any help is greatly appreciaited…THANKS

-Craig

TTT

RATTELING SHIFTER

I recently got my trans worked on so i know what you are talking about. You may need to get your linkage bearings replaced. I also have a short throw stick that had the same problem.

just a suggestion but your shifter might be hitting your exhaust
u can also try this
take the 12mm bolt that goes through the bottom of your shifter out
theres a nut on the other side
dip the bolt in some grease and grease up the washers
i did this and it stopped the rattling ,squeeking, and made shifting smoother
hth

My bet would be on the shifter bushings. When they go, you’ll feel the symptoms you just mentioned. Go spend 10-15 bucks and get a set of Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings. They work great and last long. Heck, might as well buy a shortshifter and shorten your throw during each shift…it makes it a lot more fun to drive…But yeah, it’s most likely your shifter bushings…an easy job, 30 mins-45 mins and you’re done.

i have a tenzo short shifter and it does the same thing. shift knob rattles when you drive. i dont think the problem is with shifter bushings, but something you get with short shifters. i did a post on this once and i tried everything everyone said. if you find a cure for this let me know. i wanna fix mine too. i thought it was the shift knob so it gave me an excuse to get a razo shift knob but it rattles too.

I put a short shifter in my teg also,and had a rattle. I found it would go away if i put my hand on the shifter. The rattling was coming from the shifter bearing. I took the bolt out and put a small washer on each side of the bearing.(between the bearing and the **** linkage) and it took the rattle away.

Originally posted by 91TegRacer
I took the bolt out and put a small washer on each side of the bearing.(between the bearing and the **** linkage) and it took the rattle away.

Hehe… you said sh!t linkage… hahaha…

Well, I just installed my Short Shifter today and all I can say is WOW. I didn’t put my heat shield back on… so there’s no rattling there. However, the short shifter came with a new 12mm bolt and bushings so I think that would be your best bet… get new bushings OR like relentlessg2 said, dip the existing bolt in some grease/oil.