Vibration diagnosis

I can’t diagnose the following symptoms:

• Going from reverse to drive, and after rolling for a few seconds, there is a "pop/clunk" that appears to come from the driver's side wheel.
  • At 70 mi/h, there is a consistent vibration that gets worse only when slightly turning the wheel to the right (as in a lane change). It feels as if the wheel is about to come off, or the lugnuts are loose. The vibration does not exist < 70mi/h, > 75 mi/h
  • Three engine mounts were replaced a month ago (thought this would have solved the issue).
  • Mechanic thinks the shocks are going, which are putting undue stress on the axles. The shocks are 16 year old Koni Yellows. So they are old, but it doesn't seem to match the vibration at a certain speed.
Any thoughts appreciated.

I wouldn’t think shocks and the statement “the shocks are worn so there’s more stress on the axles” doesn’t even make sense to me. I’m no mechanic but I don’t understand how a bad shock could change the stress on the axle. I would investigate axles, wheel bearings, ball joints, bushings and wheel balance.

I replaced the driver’s front wheel with the driver’s rear to try to eliminate the wheel balance variable. No change.

I noticed today that my front driver’s side wheel appears to have negative camber, while my front passenger’s wheel looks like 0 camber. I wonder if something happened with the camber kit. That’ll take some investigating over the weekend.

I notice the boot is broken on the driver’s side axle, but it’s just a little bit pulled away on the axle (by the boot clamp) right on the shaft so no grease is escaping. There’s also no clicking when turning corners.

This already happened to mine jack my car up tried very hard to wiggle the tire and the axle nothing seems broken. I took it to a shop down my street and when they tried wiggle the axle theyre both shaking and there no broken boot. I replaced mine with raxle and it did solved my problem. My vibration was really bad at certain speed and it felt like the ones you experienced felt like the wheels are going to come off.

Thank you for the input. I’m also thinking the axles. It seems like it’s Raxles or NOTHING these days. Geez. I couldn’t wait for the new axle last time so had to stick with this from a shop.

Sounds like the axles for sure. Agreed, it’s Raxles or nothing these days, especially for the older cars.

Double check everything is tight first.

just had the same issue with the clunk and pop reverse and going forward. my axle was shot.