vtec/LS tap & plug vtec return hole on block.. need help..

vtec/ls
not a ls/vtec, it is a vtec block with a LS head.
where is it on the block?
i was told i need to tap and plug this hole… but i dont even know where to look for it…

was told that it will leak oil if i dont plug it.

thanks

its a hole in between cyl 2+3 on the block. are u blind? not too much pun intended.
edit: there is no return. its just an oil feed.

only hole i found that was different between LS and VTEC was a hole at the edge of the intake corner of cylinder 4. (distributor end of motor)

only size bolt i could find to test fit threads onto is the 19mm bolt that goes on the crank pulley.

am i suppost to use specifically a copper plug? i got one, but i dont know what material it is madfe of. it’s a black metal.

what can i use to seal it also? im going to try to find a tap for whatever thread the crankpulley bolt is, then try to find a plug with the same threads. but if i cant, im going to need to drill out the hole, then tap it.

what can/should i do about shavings getting into the block?

ill check my spare gsr block to make sure its where i thought it was. im a lil tired right now. maybe in 15 min or so.
pretty sure you just use a normal npt plug like the head would be. npt plugs are aluminum.

ok mr kevin…look at the top of the motor between cyl 2+3, back side head stud hole. right behind it there should be another hole with a fitting in it. thats the oil feed line for ur vTECK. i think u need to get that fitting out and throw in an 1/8" fitting of some sort not sure of the threading tho.

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104945

6th from the last post…

i was looking at the blocks and saw that it was the only port that was not on the LS.

sup kev
when looking from the front of the block
its located on the top left hand corner of #4 cylinder
a small hole next to top left head stud thread.
if you compare the vtec and ls head gaskets you’ll see the extra hole on the vtec one which is the one you have to use.
i have the 1/8 tap need for the job lmk :bow:

efi101 certified
www.EFI101.com
special tuning services available

let me pick it up… i need to use it… where can i pick up the actual plug?

what should i do about the shavings?

i should be free today, just gotta go around richmond plaza to pick up some app’s…

okay mr krazeteggie, are you sure that was the one?
you THINK…

i got a 3/8’s plug from kragen. and i’ve been all over richmond for a 3/8’s NPT tap…
im about to try another ACE hardware… hopefully this one i go to will have it…

Hey, like I’ll send you a b18a block and you can send me the b18C block. That way you wouldnt have to mess with any of this :).

Ben

hahaha… you’d like that wouldnt ya ben?
:up:

better yet i have a ported b16head for sale :corn:

efi101 certified
www.EFI101.com

hey mr hybrid, how would the vtec system stay pressurized if it had a return that is larger than the feed. from what i understand there is no vtec oil return. there are multiple oil returns but non are designated for vtec. i could take a picture of the top of a vtec block and bottem of a non vtec head if you would like.
there would be no need to plug the return anyways since theres no oil in the return, just oil vapor, nothing to leak tho.
hasnt any1 done a non-vtec b16? i think i might try makin a non-vtec ctr motor…ls motor, ctr rotating assembly. i got most of the parts all i need it rods, pistons, gaskets and bearings. mr. morgan

mr. morgan is your name? just wondering kraze,
you wouldnt need to… i already put the stuff together, all it needs now is to put the headgasket on, head, distributor, cams, do the timing, then do a valve lash… motor oil, then trans. oil…
then it should all be together…

and also, if you actually look at the heads and blocks… if you were to put a non-vtec cylinder head onto a vtec block, if you look closely, that hole that is on the intake side, nearest to the corner head bolt, that hole that i plugged will actually almost or will be open to outside. meaning the cylinder head may not even cover enough of the block to cover the hole.

anyways, if it gets together tonight, i will be back with a responce again.

youre right i miss named it. :flame: its the hole where the vtec pressure comes from.
any ways the main thing was that kevin located that hole and plugged it. good job kevin.

Anthony
efi101 certified
www.EFI101.com

it runs… pretty good too… almost like a LS, but feels like less torque…

im going to cspeed’s website to calculate my compression…

valve lash owns me though… hahahah

after valve lash, i dont know what specs to go by now, im running a crv head… so im guessing i should go with those specs… but i dont know them, and cant find them…

it’s okay though, cause it’s raining, and i havent sealed my cf sunroof yet…

after the first valve lash, my car ran… but it kept wanting to die… like the exhaust stroke was too short, and cut out power leaving the system…

hahahahaha i cant believe it runs! Cant wait to see it dude!
-steve

morgan mayes…mo…moo. anything with an m works.
edit: forgot to say congrats…congrats man. cant wait to see pix of the motor lol.

thanks…

:slight_smile:

do you guys know how to tell the difference from a LS and a ITR?

except internals, and block stamp…