VTech Head Question

Okay fellas. I expect to get completely flamed for my stupidity, here. BUT… I just HAVE to ask… Is it possible to run a GSR/Vtec head, and just not hook up the solenoid? I know there is the obvious “why would you not want to”…

The Vtec head outflows the normal B18 head, so why not take advantage of it? The quick asnwer is expense. It would give a guy more horsepower, without all the extra expense of oil tubes, wiring, ECU’s…

Am I correct in assuming the Vtec cars still run, even when the solenoid isn’t working?

Just my old hot rod Chevy mind working overtime. Thanks for the input.!! :read:

[QUOTE=RoyalsJunkie;2307316]Okay fellas. I expect to get completely flamed for my stupidity, here. BUT… I just HAVE to ask… Is it possible to run a GSR/Vtec head, and just not hook up the solenoid? I know there is the obvious “why would you not want to”…

The Vtec head outflows the normal B18 head, so why not take advantage of it? The quick asnwer is expense. It would give a guy more horsepower, without all the extra expense of oil tubes, wiring, ECU’s…

Am I correct in assuming the Vtec cars still run, even when the solenoid isn’t working?

Just my old hot rod Chevy mind working overtime. Thanks for the input.!! :read:[/QUOTE]

The “VTEC” head not hooked up would be retarded. If you can do a headgasket you can do an LS/VTec.
Not that hard with kits that give you everything to do it right.
You would still have to plug off the head since the galley doesn’t batch the block.
Run a couple wires, add a vtec ecu, run your oil feed and you’re done.

A vtec head will only flow bettwr when using vtec cams and the vtec system… Only using the non-vtec lobes will basically leave you with no flow benefits because the valves aren’t being opened enough to utilise that flow. You would probably perform worse than using a strictly non-vtec setup.

In other words, pointless.

Thank you, Unified. You and Colin were the two I was hoping to answer.
Here is a little of my backgro
und which will hopefully explain why I seem “retarded”. I am brand new to the Honda game. I was born and raised a GM nut. I have worked a GM parts counter for twenty years. My father was parts manager of the local GM dealership, when I was too yohng to see over the counter. Small-block Chevys are in my blood.

The production Chevy Vortec head outfows some of the best high performance heads. Just bolting them on, was a big improvement… so, I wondered if it would work the same with VTEC. Now I know. Thank You.