What brake pads to get and where?

Today I picked up a set of drilled/slotted rotors for $160 and thought it was a good deal. What brand and where can i get a set of affordable brake pads that would be good for drilled/slotted rotors?

sigh… bought them b4 u really did any research. could’ve spent like $80 for all 4 rotors front and back… and used the rest of the money for good quality pads like hawk or something and still had some left over. just fyi… not every shop can “turn” cross drilled and slotted rotors. cuz some shops fear breaking their cutting bits. i’ve personally cut some b4… no biggie, but i can see why they hesitate.

yup… i honestly didn’t do that much research… i was being dumb, i thought to myself, i’m only in LA this once so might as well get some… but i’m gonna call them up tommorow and see if i could trade for some brembo blanks and pads…

Not only was it dumb to buy drilled/slotted rotors, but it’s probably the “ebay” slotted/drilled which means they use regular blank rotors and drill them and slot them their self which is very PRONE to cracking. If you’re even thinking of buying a slotted rotor, at least go with Brembo, Powerslot, Dixcel etc. And be careful because many people think they’re getting real Brembo slotted rotors or drilled and it’s still just a place doing the slotting and drilling themselves. Real Brembo’s are Zinc coated and only are slotted or either drilled only, not both together.

As far as pads, it seems you’re trying to get something cheap. In this situation I would recommend just going to Kragen, Autozone, Pepboys and getting some Ceramic type pad as an all-around use pad. A little cheaper solution would be some “thermoquiet” pads, which I guess are made to be quiet. If you’re really trying to be cheap, which I DON’T recommend; there are pads that cost like $20 bucks from Autozone and probably Kragen also.

[QUOTE=MattyG2;2033060]Not only was it dumb to buy drilled/slotted rotors, but it’s probably the “ebay” slotted/drilled which means they use regular blank rotors and drill them and slot them their self which is very PRONE to cracking. If you’re even thinking of buying a slotted rotor, at least go with Brembo, Powerslot, Dixcel etc. And be careful because many people think they’re getting real Brembo slotted rotors or drilled and it’s still just a place doing the slotting and drilling themselves. Real Brembo’s are Zinc coated and only are slotted or either drilled only, not both together.

As far as pads, it seems you’re trying to get something cheap. In this situation I would recommend just going to Kragen, Autozone, Pepboys and getting some Ceramic type pad as an all-around use pad. A little cheaper solution would be some “thermoquiet” pads, which I guess are made to be quiet. If you’re really trying to be cheap, which I DON’T recommend; there are pads that cost like $20 bucks from Autozone and probably Kragen also.[/QUOTE]

yea its actually matt here that taught me about the zinc part. i hope u didn’t order from 88rotors… they’re shady as F’k. but yeah, try n trade them. don’t bother with the cheap brake pads anymore, just buy some hawks hp, or some aem, etc. usually hawks is easier to come by.

where can i get these 4 rotors for 80$
im in need of some

NAPA and Kragen have some good prices for rotors. Autozone was more like 30 bucks a rotor.

try looking up green stuff from ebc.

my buddy got it on sale or something. roughly 4 rotors for $80 + tax n stuff.

regarding the green stuff… i haven’t actually seen anybody run them, heard about them tho.

squeeze… i have to replace the rear rotors, my pads are still real good. i know i should grind/ sand down the pads flat, but if i dont will the pads wear unevenly on the new rotors = damaging them (pads under warranty=not ready to replace= buy new ones, cuz warranty wont get them replaced )

• for rotors , from experience which between kragen , autozone , napa , etc would be the best bet for being undamaged out of the box?

[QUOTE=mantegra;2034417]squeeze… i have to replace the rear rotors, my pads are still real good. i know i should grind/ sand down the pads flat, but if i dont will the pads wear unevenly on the new rotors = damaging them (pads under warranty=not ready to replace= buy new ones, cuz warranty wont get them replaced )

• for rotors , from experience which between kragen , autozone , napa , etc would be the best bet for being undamaged out of the box?[/QUOTE]

u can try napa. i highly suggest that u clean the new rotors with some brake clean tho or something. some rotors have a film to protect it. regarding the pads, just get a large piece of sand paper, place it on a flat surface like a table, then just sand it down a bit. nothing too much.

cool. i have ceramic pads, so i wonder what grit sand paper should i use?
thanx

just grab some semi-metallic and brembo blanks.

[QUOTE=MattyG2;2033060]Real Brembo’s are Zinc coated and only are slotted or either drilled only, not both together.[/QUOTE]correct. brembo slotted are also directional.

[QUOTE=tacvbo;2036730]just grab some semi-metallic and brembo blanks.[/QUOTE]agreed

slotted/dimpled/drilled rotors are really for “race” application or race pads (kevlar or carbon, etc). by drilling/slotting/dimpling, your actually reducing your brakes ability to stop the car. less surface area for the pad to grip. mind you its minimal, negotiable even based on pad design/material, but when combined with weak/cheap pads it could lead to excessive braking effort.