What do you guys think of this craigslist car?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4916545562.html

Came across this ls special edition on craigslist. Thinking about going to check it out this evening, but I had a question about the front bumper and body trim. Am I mistaken in thinking the ls specials had painted body moldings? Also the front bumper looks like the 90-91, correct? I know the front end needs some work, but the price seems good even though its a salvage title. I was thinking of getting it and swapping my fender/headlight/bumper and if it is OBD1 putting my b17 in it. I also have a hood to put on. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, was unsure where to go

That car is almost certainly a 1991, not a 1992. Tail lights, bumpers, steering wheel, gauge cluster, inner door handles… all point to 91 and not a 92. But it does look like an LS-S, I don’t see anything pointing to it not being one. Also, I would assume there’s damage to the radiator support and that you’d need to replace that or at least pull it out a little - which would be more than the “hood, headlight, and fender” he claims it needs. Overall it looks pretty straight but there may be some damage to one of the doors, looks a bit wavvy. Exhaust also looks “off” a bit. Salvage title isn’t a concern probably but that always decreases the value of a car.

If you look at it in person and everything is good other than that front end damage then it’s probably a pretty fair deal.

i would buy it lol
But like Colin explained, it will need radiator support replaced. Not too bad though, but yea its a 90-91. Owner probably got the year mixed up.

Thanks so much I also thought it could be a 91. The fact that he may not k ow what year it is could work to my advantage. I’m gonna try and stop by tonight and see how bad it is. Seems like it’d be worth at least 350

That is a 91 LSS, I have the same car! The two tone interior is the first give away. The body moldings were not painted on the 91. The leather wrapped steering wheel is the second give away. For $599 you could buy it and part it out.

I’ve talked him down so far to 450. I figured the interior, motor, trans would be worth that. It isn’t smogged or tagged so that’s a concern but I have to see it first. Those seats are nice though

I paid more than that for my spare LS-S interior!

Too bad I think he sold it before I got off work. Oh well I have bigger problems… Oil in my coolant reservoir! Ugh I need to do this swap

I didn’t know there was an LS-S trim level. Thanks for posting this. Probably was N/A in The Great White North.

Coincidentally, I’ve been thinking about redoing my interior in two-tone FABRIC. The images were a nice indicator of how that might sort of look.

Also, is it true that there is no way to paint the body/bumper “rubber” moulding to assure it won’t peel? Both the GS-R and the LS-S came that way from the factory.

There’s no ensuring that paint won’t peel, but you can do your best. There are lots of products designed to help paint adhere to plastics and rubber type materials. The common term/product would be called an “adhesion promoter” but there will be different brands and applications. Your body shop should be familiar with all of that so long as they know what they’re doing.

http://www.semproducts.com/automotive-adhesion-promoters/plastic-adhesion-promoter

I’ve had two sets of moldings painted and haven’t had any problems whatsoever.