What top 3 things are most important to monitor?

Just what your opinions are. I’m looking at a set of 3 gauges in the near future, just curious what other people would pick?

I’m thinking: A/F Ratio, Fuel Pressure, and Oil Pressure. I was thinking EGT, but what do you need that for?

A/F ratio, Water Temp and Oil pressure for the A pillar.

Get the B & M fuel pressure guage that mounts on the fuel filter. It’s better to have the fuel pressure guage under the hood, much easier to see while adjusting fuel pressure.

You would use an EGT if you were to be running a turbo to make sure that your intercooler is dropping the exhaust temperature enough for boost applications.

For basics I would have a coolant temperature, oil pressure, and air fuel.

flame me all you want… a/f ratios are worthless. your o2 sensor isnt sensitive enough to make it worth while. if you want to find out why, PM me. I’m not going into detail here so all the little kiddie’s of the board can flame me.

I think the Apexi AFC thing, and Oil Pressure/Temperature are the most important. The Apexi I think is good, but hella expensive, because you can alter and adjust, whereas the oil is just something that should be monitored always, especially when revving the engine high.

I gotta agree with Formz on most a/f. Looks pretty, but that’s about it. The aren’t all that accurate. If you really want to find your a/f ratio and tune the engine, go to a dyno with a lamba/wideband o2.

I’d go with oil pressure, coolant temp, and maybe oil temp. Fuel pressure you’re better off just going with the b&m engine compartment mount one. Another one that might not be too bad to have might be a voltmeter (not super useful, but you may be able to tell when your alternator is going), or if you have an auto tranny, a tranny temp gauge.

EGT’s can be used to help find a/f ratio, so you can compensate for temperature as well as see if you’re running more lean or rich than you should. I’m not entirely certain how to effectively use EGT’s for tuning though.

Originally posted by Formz TSi
flame me all you want… a/f ratios are worthless. your o2 sensor isnt sensitive enough to make it worth while. if you want to find out why, PM me. I’m not going into detail here so all the little kiddie’s of the board can flame me.

THANK YOU!!!:clap:

unlesss you buy a motec lambda meter for about $1200 most a/f ratio meters in cars are pointless.

what i would look at purchasing is a oil pressure guage, voltmeter, and your stock temp guage will do just fine along with your tach- if you wanna bigger one then theres another guage you can get. HTH

Well I know the autometer is more for looks then functionality… but I know the cyberdine was pretty accurate. Also if you were to buy say the Omori a/f gauge its very accurate especially since it comes with its own o2 sensor. But really on something that is only slightly modified an a/f is very useless.

Originally posted by MUGEN_DA6
Well I know the autometer is more for looks then functionality… but I know the cyberdine was pretty accurate. Also if you were to buy say the Omori a/f gauge its very accurate especially since it comes with its own o2 sensor. But really on something that is only slightly modified an a/f is very useless.

The cyberdine is accurate? My jumptronix a/f and battery voltage gauge tells me the EXACT VOLTAGE of my o2 sensor. You cant get any more accurate then that. Do I use it? Hell no! A/f ratios (with the stock o2 sensor) are WORTHLESS. The only thing they can tell you is you’re running dangerously lean or grossly rich. Nothing in between.

What top 3 things are most important to monitor?

i thought this meant in general, hehe i was gonna say motor oil, tranny fluid, and gas. heheh, sorry had to do that.

Originally posted by integguy91
[B]

i thought this meant in general, hehe i was gonna say motor oil, tranny fluid, and gas. heheh, sorry had to do that. [/B]

:werd:

I personally would like to know if I was running lean wouldn’t you? But yes stock O2 sensors are only accurate around the stoich area so they can tell you if your stoich or not. They do not give accurate readings as to how rich or lean you are, they are alright for N/A motors but only of mild use for FI applications. Definitely water temp and oil pressure if turbo egt gauge.

Good call. You can actually buy some O2 sensors that are properly setup, and will give you an accurate readout (A/F). Problem is, they are quite spendy.

EDIT: Read only down to Matt’s response, and as such, missed everyone else agreeing with the comment.

Originally posted by MUGEN_DA6
You would use an EGT if you were to be running a turbo to make sure that your intercooler is dropping the exhaust temperature enough for boost applications.

An EGT gauge measures exhaust temps before they enter the intercooler. Most people mount them even before the turbo.

Actually exhaust gas never even touches the intercooler. If it does you hooked it up all wrong. The Intercooler cools incoming air. not outgoing. An EGT is used to measure your air/fuel ratio. hotter egt’s: leaner mix. cooler egt’s: richer mix. it has nothing to do with the intercooler.

later.
donnell

ARCHIVETHIS

Originally posted by zcsohc
I personally would like to know if I was running lean wouldn’t you?

but what is lean? and dont say “it’s when the red lights light up” because thats BS. Do you know where lean is on your car? I’ll tell you something right now, .86v on 93 octane is considered “perfect” for a 1g DSM. What is it for a 2g? it’s .92v on 93. What am I running? Well, I’ve run as low as .84 which is considered lean, on a daily setting i run .88, which is “rich.”

.84v would light up your typical a/f gauge red like it was goin’ outta style. I bet you $100 you dont even know exact voltage you’re supposed to be running. EVERY car is different. I have two friends in 1g DSMs who are running close to .94v without problems.

My point is: a/f gauges are worthless. I dont know how else to say it.

I dont know how else to say it.

I was thinking, it can be used a contraction word (it’s) to preface or used possessively (its).