Who has an LS/VTEC motor?

Can you run down your list of motor mods and if you can get as in depth witht he block work as possible? Also, how the car is running and what rpm you take it up to? Thanks, i’m trying to gather as much info as possible as I piece this monster together.

did you read the teg tip yet on LS/VTEC?

Yeah i read the teg tips, but the info wasn’t as in depth as I wanted and i searched, but I want to hear th emost current issues regarding the setup.

91 LS block fully balanced/blueprinted
93 B17A head
JE 81.5mm 11.7:1 C/R
Eagle rods
ITR IM
RC Eng 62mm TB
RC 310cc inj
AEM fuel rail
B&M FPR and gauge
Walboro 255lph intank
Skunk Stage 1 cams
ITR valvesprings
Portflow Titanium Retainers
Toda cam gears
Clutchmasters Stage 3 clutch
Cluthmasters 7.5lb flywheel
RSR catback exhaust
97 SpecR header 4-2-1
93 GSR YS1 tranny with LS 5th
P72 ECU with Hondata Stage 3

Dynoed at 183whp/130wtq on the base map, no A/F or real cam gear tuning yet and on leaky valve seals. The motor is burning quite a bit of oil from the bad seals but it still runs very strong. We didn’t take the motor that far on the dyno due to time constraints. We got the above number from a pull up to 8100rpms. The dyno chart definitely looked like it could pull higher numbers if we moved up the limiter a bit more. I will dyno the motor again soon to 8500rpms to see what she can do. I’m sure with the seals replaced and tuning, the motor would at the least be in the low 190s and mid to high 130s tq. HTHs. Let me know if you have any other questions. And good luck with your build.

yo leo, u got timeslips or anything on that setup?

I just wanna seeeee :wink:

Harry

Originally posted by 93B18

Dynoed at 183whp/130wtq on the base map, no A/F or real cam gear tuning yet and on leaky valve seals. The motor is burning quite a bit of oil from the bad seals but it still runs very strong. We didn’t take the motor that far on the dyno due to time constraints. We got the above number from a pull up to 8100rpms. The dyno chart definitely looked like it could pull higher numbers if we moved up the limiter a bit more. I will dyno the motor again soon to 8500rpms to see what she can do. I’m sure with the seals replaced and tuning, the motor would at the least be in the low 190s and mid to high 130s tq. HTHs. Let me know if you have any other questions. And good luck with your build.

Leo, thank man… Do you think you could run higher lift cams with that 11.7 c/r. I already ahve ITR .025 pistons and i planne don milling the head, but I want to make sure I can run Skun2 stage 2 cams or cams aroudn that lift on it. My setup will be somewhat the same from what I have planned. What exactly is in tht LS block and what has been done besides the balancing and pistons?

Thanks

i do…

Here is my setup with this i hit 195hp and 133ft. lbs. torque and the motor feels VERY strong, no leaks what so ever…i still feel that i could hit the 200whp mark by increasing to a 2.5" 4-1 header and 2.5" exhaust system considering my pistons are pretty low in compression (10.5:1) i feel it is still a very nice setup if you do it right!..those cams a screaming beyond 8000rpm and will produce more power with more air flow…good luck!

GS-R oil pan
GS-R oil pump
Z10 motorsport engineering crank girdle
Eagle rods
SRP 10.5:1 compression
b16a head ported, polished
milled .20
3 angle valve job
skunk2 stage II cams
skunk2 springs/retainers
TYPE-R intake manifold
Hondata intake gasket
AEM fuel rail
AEM fuel pressure regulator
AEM cam gears
AEM cold air intake
Holley fuel pump
bored out 64mm throttle body
Airmass 4-2-1 header
Thermal exhaust 2 1/4"
ARP head studs
clutch custom made dual feramic/organic clutch for street/strip use
Fidanza 9lb flywheel
310cc ('96 prelude SR-V injectors)
Hondata stage 2 engine management system

gen2teg

Originally posted by myNAteg
[B]

Leo, thank man… Do you think you could run higher lift cams with that 11.7 c/r. I already ahve ITR .025 pistons and i planne don milling the head, but I want to make sure I can run Skun2 stage 2 cams or cams aroudn that lift on it. My setup will be somewhat the same from what I have planned. What exactly is in tht LS block and what has been done besides the balancing and pistons?

Thanks [/B]

I could run the JUN3s or the Spec Bs if I wanted to with no problems. There is enough valve relief in the either the JE’s and the ITRs for them. How much do you plan on milling the head?

As far as what’s in the LS block, it’s basically what I’ve said above, JE pistons/rings, Eagle rods already fitted with ARP hardware, ARP headstuds, Type-R oil pump, balanced, blueprinted, bored, honed, crank mc’d and journals polished, hot tanked with all new OE gaskets, bearings, etc.

Autotek: None yet. I’m sure with a full interior, slicks, and a good 60ft, it’s enough to produce high 13sec timeslips.

gen2teg: How’s the motor coming along? Open up the exhaust system a bit more and up the compression with a Mugen or Spoon headgasket and that thing will hit 200whp for sure. 10.5:1 is kind of low IMHO. With the Hondata and 310s, you could’ve up the compression to at least 11.3:1 and would be able to run on pump gas no problem. Any reason why you decided to go a bit low side of the C/R? Otherwise, beautiful setup sir.

Man I haven’t been on this board for a long time! I’m also running a ls/vtec! My setup isn’t so great! I need more parts! Grrrr!

JG Redline Head (B16 wit custom spec) w/JG valve train
Stock B16 manifold port matched to the head
JG TB (forgot the size)
Skunk2 Camsprocket
JG/Eldebrock Billet CAM (308/316) Took me forever to get these!
JG/Eldebrock 4-1 Header w/2.5 collector(94GSR)
AEM Fuel Rail w/SX performance Fuel Reg
Walbro Fuel Pump
Clutch Master STAGE 4 w/clutchmaster 7.5 flywheel
Quaife LSD
90 LS block fully balanced
Eagle Rods
.25 ITR piston
ARP Rod bolts and Head Stud
PR3 ECU (mugen program) Redline 9200rpm
RC 270cc injector
Apex VAFC

As of now I do not have any dyno results! I’m very broke now! College student now!:frowning: My motor have been down on and off for some time! i changed many parts like the headers and cams! I had the Skunk STage1 cams! they sucked! and the header i had was kamikaze headers! those parts were not great wat so ever! Right now the motor pulls very very strong all the way to 9k! Cams are not set to anything but 0 ! Once i get more money i’m getting a Hondata! Not sure if hondata offers for NON-obd! Right now i’m working on to many projects on the car like body work! my car looks like crap and sold my BW kit and got the RS kit! Also another project is the MINI COOPER with a B16 in it! My cousin and I just got done with the engine bay! We had to get a new subframe for it! Sorry to write so much just haven’t been on the board for long time! Wanted to share! Will have pics of MINI soon!

Originally posted by VietG
Right now the motor pulls very very strong all the way to 9k!

Vietg, what kind of oil pump are you running? I want to run to 9000 also, but not sure if i could use stock rods on an all motor application… I heard they would be fine as long as as i run aftermarket rod bolts, but all this stuff is heresay. I just want my block to have the potential to handle 9000.

My plans for the block are .25pistons, ARP rod bolts, balance crank, vtec oil and water pump.

Has anyone instlaled b16 oil squirters in their block? i dont’ think it’s necessary, but i wonder how much work that would be.

b16a head stock
ls block ITR pistons
rs*r header
greddy mx
ITR intake manifold
b&m fpr
custom intake
pr3 ecu
JDM y1 tranny w aftermarket LSD

car ran smooth and fast for 25k+ miles till carjackers got a hold of it. crv block and weisco 13:1 purchased and obd0 tossed obd1 ecu, dist, hondata purchased, YS! tranny fidanza flywheel and ACT street disc purchased, ITR cams, valve springs and crower ti ret. purchased, more goodies on the way

oh and ARCHIVETHIS thas great that people want info on this but this ? does not need to be asked ever again…

I biult the 1st yes the 1st ls/vtec. I built my motor over 3yrs ago. I sent my idea into super street and they published in the mag. I have built it once since due to oil gettting in the coolant. The motor runs great just think of the compresskion ray=tio when picking pistons. The best advice i can give is to take your time and replace everything as far as gaskets seals o rings the workz. I’m going to sell mine. I have a 90 block bored .25 over w/ factory brand new b16a pistons oversized of course 89 b16a head from japan b16 oil pump gsr water pump itr intake manifold skunk2 cam gears and the com. also it’s a p28 w/ skunk program. b&m fuel pressure reg.

Originally posted by andy see
I biult the 1st yes the 1st ls/vtec. I built my motor over 3yrs ago. I sent my idea into super street and they published in the mag. I have built it once since due to oil gettting in the coolant. The motor runs great just think of the compresskion ray=tio when picking pistons. The best advice i can give is to take your time and replace everything as far as gaskets seals o rings the workz. I’m going to sell mine. I have a 90 block bored .25 over w/ factory brand new b16a pistons oversized of course 89 b16a head from japan b16 oil pump gsr water pump itr intake manifold skunk2 cam gears and the com. also it’s a p28 w/ skunk program. b&m fuel pressure reg.

ummm
u built the 1st one? sir where is your proof to back up sucha claim? always thought it was “Omniman” Steve Rothenbuehler from Skunk2, who built the first one. and dood its been around longer than 3yrs…

this was borowed from Frank Lin’s website.

Taken to 10k

( 9500 on the street )

Motor was ls/vtec Turbo…
91 b18a block ( stock sleeves )
99 b16a head ( Stock ports/valves)
95 GSR stock cams
turbonetics t3/t04e turbine
rev hard 24.5x8.5x3.5 intercooler
rc 550cc injectors
walborro 255 94+gsr fuel pump ( in tank )
sx regulator
Skunk 2 manifold
JG trottle body
JG valvesprings/retainers
JE 9 to 1 pistons
eagle connecting rods
msd 7al-2
str camgears
arp headstuds
nuformz block guard
act ductile pressure plate with 6 puck disk ( no springs )
Clutchmaster flywheel
Quaife lsd
Dss stage 5 axles 94+ integra ( hub kit with extended studs too )
Speedpro Sequential engine management system
Converted to OBD 1

etc… too much stuff…

Sold, next project on the way…Still LS/Vtec Turbo, just bigger :wink:

Robbie, I believe you are right about “omniman”. That motor was around way before that superstreet article came out…

u built the 1st one? sir where is your proof to back up sucha claim? always thought it was “Omniman” Steve Rothenbuehler from Skunk2, who built the first one. and dood its been around longer than 3yrs…

now quite possiblly you could have done your conversion before there were how to’s and whatnot and you just used your own intuition in doing the setup, but timeline wise I dont think you were the first. I’ve always heard Omniman was the unofficial 1st to do the frankenstein setup. And superstreet not hearing about it even though it’s been done does not surprise me…

Not really up to argue the matter. maybe he was first? maybe i was? the only proof i have is in FL at my old house. I’m in NC cause i’m in the navy now. The time it took my dad and myself to do the motor was like 4 mths and the the break in was another 1 do to leaks and figureing it out. after that track time to prove the motor over the gsr was ruff cause of a clutch prob. So i don’t know but lets say i was among the first 2 or 3. Anyways it took me a while to send it in to super street. I dont really care much for NA any more turbo on the brain now w/ fully built B20. Still fightin the money situation now that i married and paying more bills. So we’ll see.

i never rev up to 8,000 in my LSVTEC, some guys say isnt smart thing.

ím running in a P72 Ecu Skunk 2 chipped… :crazy:

Originally posted by f-bot
[B]i never rev up to 8,000 in my LSVTEC, some guys say isnt smart thing.

ím running in a P72 Ecu Skunk 2 chipped… :crazy: [/B]

It isn’t a good idea all depending how well built your setup is.

gen2teg

Originally posted by andy see
Not really up to argue the matter. …So i don’t know but lets say i was among the first 2 or 3. Anyways it took me a while to send it in to super street…

So what’s yer name? i got buddy that’s an editor there. and IMO u should change yer sig. anyways if u said you did first … what ever…