Would you retrofit your DA with an electric motor?

https://www.discovery.com/motor/retrofitting-older-cars-with-electric-motors-could-transform-tra

I absolutely hate that all new electric cars are over-the-top with tech. I’ve been in Teslas – and while they are cool and all, I don’t get why everything has to be computer-controlled. The one-piece tablet control seems like an obvious single-point-failure. (I have my own issues with computer-controlled everything due to previous jobs building new systems – the redundancy needed and cost required to make sure they don’t misbehave.) Also, I feel disconnected from the vehicle. I understand most people just wanna get they want to go and don’t want that.

If I had the money, I’d buy an RS and a retrofit would be a cool project – once I hit the lottery and wouldn’t have to work anymore. :eyeroll:

honestly, i would love to do an ev retrofit, but absolutely not using teslas hardware.

im trying to figure out what i want to do to my db1. its clapped out body wise so anything like a restoration is gonna be near impossible due to parts availability

American cars definitely get all of the love with restoration part availability.

I agree with you on the Tesla control panel. It does seem like an obvious point for failure.
I don’t care for any of the new car giant control panels they are pretty distracting. I grew up with parents who were both car people. They belonged to a Horseless Carriage Club and we had a whole litany of vehicles. Our main ride was my mom’s jaguar XK140MC. First time we had a radio and a/c was when she got her 73 240Z. While I love my creature comforts as much as the next person I think we have too many extras in today’s cars. I don’t need internet access or movies just a comfortable fun to drive car.
But if I won the lottery? Yes I’d consider a conversion but I’d probably rather spend the money on tracking down the jag and bringing it back stateside. It’d be worth it just to hear that engine roar.

Ford seems to be doing it right :slight_smile:

They say nothing about the battery source it needs. Sigh.

OMG, even that classic Ford truck has that DUMB huge tablet in it! DAMNIT!

When it comes to new cars I don’t care, as long as theyre fun to drive. Personally I’ve never been big on retrofits, so the idea of electrifying the DA I’m on the fence. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what my idea of a perfect 2nd gen, or final form would look like, and when I imagine it, electric isnt what springs to mind.

The whole giant tablet on wheels thing can go straight to hell though, I’m with you on that.

No, a Honda hybrid motor would interest me, but that is beyond my time limits and current ability. Fortunately my DA engine shows no sign of ever needing replacing.

You mean like something one the insight? Gasoline + battery?