Y1 vs GSR ys1 for b17

My GSR transmission died about 8 months ago. Since then, I have been looking for a short geared transmission.

I have two options right now and I would like advice to help me decide.

GSR YS1
or
B16a Y1 W/LSD (60 MPH@3500 RPMS)

They are about the same price.

The car has stock b17 with I/H/E.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

-Aaron

Nothing beats OEM LSD.

But, its going to be a bit hard to replace/fix, once it goes out on you. Thats when you’ll love to get a Quaife.

But if you do a lot of highway driving, then go with the y1 since it’ll be a bit easier on the motor.

Goodluck

I thought the YS1 would be easier on the motor? Isn’t 60mph on those around 3,000?

depends which ys1 you’re talking about.

As of I know, theres 3.

-USDM YS1 Long Geared for Non-vtec motors
-USDM YS1 Short geared for 92-93 GSRs
-JDM YS1 Short geared from B16s

Looks like the one you’re taking about is the long geared one.

Even the “long” geared YS1 on non-VTEC motors is still longer than the Y1 isn’t it? Which will make it better for high way driving.

Just curious because I’m trying to decide which transmission I plan on using when I swap in either a CTR or GSR motor. My car will also be mostly used on the highway.

Yes the LS YS1 is longer than the Y1, and I believe it will be the best for the motor and highway.

I have decided to go with the GSR YS1.

[QUOTE=ABCVTEC;1677762]Even the “long” geared YS1 on non-VTEC motors is still longer than the Y1 isn’t it? Which will make it better for high way driving.

Just curious because I’m trying to decide which transmission I plan on using when I swap in either a CTR or GSR motor. My car will also be mostly used on the highway.[/QUOTE]

Do a short geared trans with an LS 5th…

You could do that, but i wouldnt recommend taking that route. I had that done on my short geared ys1. Going from 4th to a long geared 5th can cause some damage to the tranny in the long run. I started to notice some grinds shifting into gears a few weeks later. So i switched it back.

The dead transmission in my GSR is an A1 from a 90-91 integra. Does that mean I will need to buy a new clutch for the switch to the 92 GSR YS1?

yes

I have the YS1 transmission with JDM LSD in it.

That is pretty rad.

I envy you with your YS1 w/ LSD. I want one :O!