Yoonaka Spec I full coilovers

So it’s been one month since I bought and installed my Yonaka coilovers. First off, I want to say that I don’t recommend these to anyone. They ride good for the most part, the build is nice and strong feeling, but there is one big problem. To get my car set at an even height, I had to un-preload the front springs and set them all the way down. On the other hand, I had to raise the rears to only 3/4" of thread left in the bottom mount thing to get them high enough. After emailing Yonaka about my problem, this is what I got back:

"Hi Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to send us an email. It sounds like you received the correct parts; the total travel should be approximately 4”. YMTC004 is the part number, but you wouldn’t find it stamped on the tube anywhere. If you’re at the end of the thread then unfortunately that’s as far as it will go – that’s just how they’re designed.

Please let us know if you have any further questions."

Sounds pretty wrong right? So looks like I’m stuck at my current ride height because I cannot go any higher with the rears. Oh, and by the way, I’m tucking tire all the way around. On top of that, the shocks dampening isn’t stiff enough to support a ride this low in the front, even with the 12k springs.

yup i have them too…also u need to remember on the db the rear wheel wells are lower than the front fenders, so the front will appear higher than the rear u can tell by measuring the rockers to the ground, but ya i also got the same email from them as i was a little unpleased that i cant set my car higher than it is rite now

So theyre trash? How much did you pay?

they are good if u wanna ride low…but if u wanna be near stock height they are trash, but the ride on them is decent…i paid $550 shipped for mine

pics?

this is mine with the rears almost all the way up, remember on the db the rear wheel arches are much lower than the front, the car is actually level here from the rocker panels

Yep pretty much like that. Did you undo the preload on the fronts Bryan?

I don’t know why you guys waste money on bs coilovers. I would just get a nice spring and shocks or spend the extra to get Ground controls on Tokico Illuminas or Koni Yellows.

They ride perfectly fine, Yonaka just needs to work on the lengths. Of course you can’t talk about suspension without someone saying “just get Ground Controls” so I guess it had to happen eventually. I’m looking at either Function & Form Type 2’s next or maybe some Megan EZ Streets. Unless anyone has another recommendation for a full coilover that’s dampening adjustable that won’t break the bank.

no, my fronts are fine, easily adjusted to that height…never had an issue with the fronts i could go higher or lower in the front

Seems like the same issue when you use EG/DC shocks or full bodied coilovers. At full height its still pretty low. A manufacturer flaw i’d say.

If you really want to save some money down the road, don’t get any of the brands you mentioned. Why? Because those companies customer services are lacking, and they don’t offer a rebuild service because they don’t make them in house, instead they are outsourced from either Taiwan or China, but if you’re lucky they may be able to offer you a replacement dampener if you have a blown or leaking dampener; that’s at best, if not you’re SOL and you may need to be forced to buy another complete set- thus spending more money than you initially wanted. Again, like many times I stated on this forum before, you get what you pay for especially in suspension. Save a little more for the peace of mind that you’re buying a quality product that is backed by an excellent customer service in case you ever need a replacement or rebuild. That being said, there is a reason why koni yellows/ ground controls are mentioned so often, because people have bought them and dyno tested them with excellent results. Just a simple google search and you’ll find so many positive reviews- though the only downfall that I may see with this set up is that the top hats don’t offer any camber adjustments, but regardless you’re not only buying a quality product but as a product backed by superior customer service and a warranty unlike most sub $1300 coilover range. I would also look into teins as well, since they have a rebuild facility in the US and their products has always been reputable and on the cheaper side in regards to full coilovers (just don’t get any of the older models like HA or HE, since iirc they don’t offer rebuild services to them anymore since those models have been long discontinued.) Save the extra cash to buy something that you won’t regret…

And to those who are going to step in and say " I have brand “x”" in my car and they ride great, well I’m sure they do when they’re brand new, but give it time, I’m sure down the road you’ll have a different opinion about your no longer new coilover.

had my yonakas on for over 6 months now, still ride good…and did u just say their suspension dyno tested well…:wtf:

yep I did say suspension dyno.

here let me spoon feed you some answers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1OiI9KyJCQ
(boring video, but hopefully you get the gist of it)

Refer to the AV turn’d DA post. Why buy cheap chinese/taiwan made coilovers when they’re are CRAP. You want to stray away from a fully tried and tested and dyno’d setup with the option of rebuilding the shock when it blows, but want a quality setup and then talk about crappy companies? You’re just being stupid if you don’t want the gc/koni setup. Come on.

:flame:

But in all seriousness I do understand that GC/Koni is a well recommended setup and I wouldn’t mind having some. Like I said I’m open to options, and I did think about it after posting my last response, mostly because of the ease of just buying/rebuilding the shock instead of the whole thing.

Function and form makes extended bottom tubes for the rear. Pretty sure they are the same as yonaka. Look at my thread in the suspension section

If they can make, assemble and ship you 4 struts and 4 springs for $550, it sounds like you got what you paid for… You can’t expect to have the features and quality of a high dollar setup when you’re spending about half of the cost.

[QUOTE=AV turn’d DA;2285343]If you really want to save some money down the road, don’t get any of the brands you mentioned. Why? Because those companies customer services are lacking, and they don’t offer a rebuild service because they don’t make them in house, instead they are outsourced from either Taiwan or China, but if you’re lucky they may be able to offer you a replacement dampener if you have a blown or leaking dampener; that’s at best, if not you’re SOL and you may need to be forced to buy another complete set- thus spending more money than you initially wanted. Again, like many times I stated on this forum before, you get what you pay for especially in suspension. Save a little more for the peace of mind that you’re buying a quality product that is backed by an excellent customer service in case you ever need a replacement or rebuild. That being said, there is a reason why koni yellows/ ground controls are mentioned so often, because people have bought them and dyno tested them with excellent results. Just a simple google search and you’ll find so many positive reviews- though the only downfall that I may see with this set up is that the top hats don’t offer any camber adjustments, but regardless you’re not only buying a quality product but as a product backed by superior customer service and a warranty unlike most sub $1300 coilover range. I would also look into teins as well, since they have a rebuild facility in the US and their products has always been reputable and on the cheaper side in regards to full coilovers (just don’t get any of the older models like HA or HE, since iirc they don’t offer rebuild services to them anymore since those models have been long discontinued.) Save the extra cash to buy something that you won’t regret…

And to those who are going to step in and say " I have brand “x”" in my car and they ride great, well I’m sure they do when they’re brand new, but give it time, I’m sure down the road you’ll have a different opinion about your no longer new coilover.[/QUOTE]

theres a lot of truth being spoken here…

Ive had my super streets since 07 and purchased them used from a guy who used them for about 4 year IIRC. that mean they went aprox. 7-8 Years before I sent them back for rebuild and even then it was really only the fronts that needed it, the rears still had plenty of life in them. So with that being said, 6 months is nothing… Ill bet you give it another year and a half or more and youll be back singing a different tune…

So will these for sure fit on Yonaka’s?