1992 GS-R Project - "The Ugly One"

Hey Max

I will give you a call, I need to get my car out for it’s yearly exercise.

Hehe…come pick me up!

I managed to get a couple hours of work done on The Ugly One this weekend. Mostly taking stuff out of it :).

Also picked up an RS to use as a parts car. It’ll be donating its doors, fenders, hatch, brake system, roof if time and money permit, and who knows what else.

And finally, the engine bay shot that I forgot to put in the first post:

Why not use the RS chassis as the track car, it looks to be in better shape, then you don’t need to deal with the roof?

There’s a rule in the class I’m racing in that the VIN of the car needs to match the type of car that it’s raced as. So if I’ve got a GS-R motor, it needs to be an actual GS-R.

Switching the motor over to the RS would be way easier though, and if I could do it and still be legal I would.

I wish i could find a color matched 90 front bumber for my car to replace the 92 front. Gl with the project

Isn’t this ruled based off a SCCA rule, and rumor I heard it was going to be relaxed this coming year. Don’t remember exactly where I heard it but there has been talk.

Yes, rumour is that the SCCA VIN rule is going to go away next year. If it doesn’t for whatever reason I wouldn’t be able to legally race the car next year, so I’m not taking any chances.

Also, the current CACC rules are based on the SCCA rules for the previous year. So even if the SCCA rule is gone next year, the CACC rule will probably stick around for one more year.

Sometimes I wish I had a lawyer around to figure the rules out for me - I’d get way less headaches that way :).

You should try looking at SCCA and CACC Solo I/II rules some time, that’s why I moved to a prepared class. Way less rules to be concerned about. As you likely know SCCA Solo II Nationals just finished this past week but the bickering will go on for a long time yet.

I’m not aware of any protests being filed over violations of the VIN Rule.

Rules are only enforced by the competitors… most of whom are educated enough to know that most tub swaps are not a performance advantage.

hmm curious…
i think i saw this on the net… is this a car from Ottawa with very high mileage?

G2TEG416:
From Toronto, 300k on it.

DB2-R81:
I’m not aware of any protest being filed over it either, but I’m a “better safe than sorry” kind of guy. If you read this Acura news release on the GS-R from 1992, you’ll see that there are differences between the GS-R and RS/LS/GS chassis: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/749/releases/3249

Are there differences? Yes.
Would they make a difference in the performance of a race car? Probably not much.
Do I want it to be clear without a shadow of a doubt that I’m building a car that is 100% legal to race in the class that I’m building it for? Absolutely.

By the way, I do lurk on RoadRaceAutoX.com, so I’m aware of the ongoing VIN rule discussion going on there.

As far as racing it in a Solo class, that’s just not my thing. I like being on track at the same time as a bunch of other guys. I like passing. The road race equivalents of the Prepared classes are the GT classes. They’re way more expensive, have fewer people that I could race against, and the Integra would be way way out of its league there.

It’s now sounding more like this is going to be a serious competitive effort?

Reading your first post I got the impression or made the assumption this was going to be just a track day toy?

The Honda article, interesting read, owned a GSR all these years and this is the first time I have read there are any true differences between the chassis.

Are you going to do your engine in house? Who are you getting to do the machine work?

I 've had a b17a block seasoning for a few years waiting to rebuild and just picked up a head from Nino to top it off. It’s looking like I will be doing a engine build over the winter also.

I guess my first post was pretty ambiguous, sorry about that.

Yes, this is a serious competitive effort and will be focused on wheel-to-wheel racing. I picked the GS-R specifically because I think it has the potential to be one of the front runners in the IP3 class that I race in locally. It should also be reasonably competitive in ITS in the States, but that was more of a secondary consideration in picking the car.

I’ll be building the engine myself, except for the machine work. I’m not sure yet who will be doing that.

What are your plans for your engine build?

Hayward Performance for the head and Speciality Engineering for the bottom end and assembly. If I had a million dollars!

My present, basically stock b17a1 bolt on combination pulls 160+/-HP at the wheels however it is getting a bit tired.

I would like to up the new engine to the 210+/-HP range. How I am going to get there with the same bore and stroke is the unknown. I have lots of ideas but economics is likely to play a large role in the project.

Are you guys planning on staying local w/ your machine work? I sent my b18c head over to Precision Valve and Crank in North Van. My friend refered me over to them… should have my head back at the end of the month.

DB2-R81, I’d like to know what mods were done to the motor to get it to that level. If you have a dyno chart that would be much appreciated as well. 210whp is a pretty high target for a 1.7, you’re going to have to run a whole lot of RPM to get there. Should be a really fun build.

davidhtam, I’m not going to be doing too much to the engine due to class restrictions, so I’ll just use a local machine shop, probably the same one that did the work on my CRX for the last rebuild I did.

jdi, thanks for that link, I think I’ve seen it posted before.
Nice project, I’m rooting for you.
Are you going to use that oem intake arm and box?
If not, I would like to buy it from you.

Progress this weekend was limited. The AC system was removed, along with the radiator, intake arm and airbox. I also got the center console, cd player and carpet out.

Hello JDI,

Sorry for the slow response, busy work schedule this past weekend.

Crank and PS pulleys, Spoon 4-2-1 header, dumped exhaust after the front seats, ITR manifold with minor port clean up, ITR cams, Skunk II cam gears, ported Prelude TB, Custom Intake, lightened flywheel, B & M fuel pressure regulator, MSD 6AL ignition, and indexed spark plugs. Off the top of my head I believe that about covers it.

Yes, I have a few dyno sheets from a number of different sessions and different dynos on hard copy, I will need to thumb through my records for them and do some scanning. I will post them when I get some time. They have been on this forum over the years at various times however likely long ago deleted.

I really believe 210 +/- is achievable with some decent machine work, proper selection of parts and meticulous attention to build detail.

Ok here is a file that was sitting on an old computer,
the dyno was done 30/05/99.

I will keep looking and post up any more recent others I can come up with.