92 GS, Blew my B16A, Probably putting in B20B need advice tips etc. please

ok well if thats the case then what the hell is the extreme clicking coming from the cluster area, did you see the video?

I just watched the video now, looks like when you rev it up you get a CEL. Have you read the code? Whatever is causing the light to come on is probably associated with the car shutting off.

yeah it flickers but it doesn’t actually stay. so when i try to check for a code theres nothing there. i unbolted my MFR and took it out and looked at it for the cracked connections and it looked okay so i put it back in and i got it started up again and it made the same weird ass clicking noises and shit and i held the MFR and its definitely coming from the MFR. also when it is running, as soon as i hit 4000 RPM it turns off, every time.

more to the story, with the first distributor i had on there, the screw that holds the rotor in place managed to come lose and make its way inside the distributor where the ignitor etc. are. and it was bouncing around in there, when this happened the car threw a code 20 which is electronic load detector, i think when this happened it may have messed up my MFR.

the car is currently not throwing any codes but it’s still doing what i described above, i’m going to get a different MFR from the junkyard tomorrow if i can, if i can’t then i will be ordering a new one.

i have my friend’s 91 prelude for a week because he’s in cuba, do they have a compatible MFR i could swap in and try?

im not sure then, it must be something to do with the mfr if its clicking when you hold it but im not sure whats happening.

I sent you an email at drummerdustin@hotmail.com, check it out and see if it helps

yeah that helps thanks. i picked up a different MFR from the junkyard this morning and no luck with that one either, i’m taking both of them into my school tomorrow to do the tests from the helms manuals, we’ll see how that goes…

Both MFRs passed the tests… soooooooooooooo I took out my ECU and opened it up. And my friend and I found the smallest piece of tinfoil looking thing, it looks like part of a wrapper off a chocolate bar or something and it was sitting inbetween the legs of a transistor and it was also touching a capacitor near the bottom right of the ECU. Anyways we took it out and tested it for contiuniuty and it wasn’t a good conductor but it did conduct in some areas. So we took it out of the ECU and I plugged the ECU back in and now the car starts up every time no hesitation. However while driving it randomly bogs and does some other weird shit, but we know its because the fuel is being randomly cut because we can hear the MFR clicking every time it bogs, so I think my ECU got permanetly damaged from that piece of whatever that was sitting inside of it. I guess the guy that chipped my ECU for me for the B20 was eating a chocolate bar while he did it… I donno.

So today I’m getting my hands on a new ECU and seeing if that fixes this last god forsaken problem.

After actually getting the engine in, we had 3 totally seperate, isolated problems all occur at relatively the same time that would prevent the car from running properly and my friend and I have sucessfully hunted down all of them now. It doesn’t get anymore complicated than that. I’m proud lol, maybe I should be a mechanic, he’s already going into the field…

Thanks for all the help everyone thus far, I will continue to update on how things are going…

glad you got it figured out man, I would take your ecu into whoever chipped it and find out whats up with that shit left inside, sounds to me like someone owes you a new ecu

Okay so a lot has happened since my last post. My ECU was fine all along even with that piece in there. I got another ECU from a buddy and the car’s RPMs were still jumping all over the place so after trying another 2 different distributors i finally found what i thougth was the cause of the problem i suspected the main fuel relay so after getting another one of those i found out that wasn’t the problem either. The ground G101 the one that bolts onto the thermostat housing wasn’t bolted down all the way, i found out about that, took it off cleaned it up and bolted it down all the way and voila all my problems disappeared.

lesson learned.

i’ll post pictures/videos of the completed stuff in awhile.

thanks again everyone!

it’s amazing the problems a bad ground can cause.
Glad you figured it out :up: