All LED headlight conversion

Reverted to USDM on the 91 teg while I figure out how to get LEDs in the JDM one pieces. This is with the LED compatible turn signal relay to avoid hyper flash.

I’m really happy with how it turned out. Ever since I swapped the bulbs to LED on the 93 teg the car seemed to run better; I assume maybe it’s because of a bad ground or old wiring.

Hoping to take the car on the road tomorrow or Monday. Need to see if I have to adjust the beam pattern.
20231202_193036

6 Likes

Looks awesome!!

Was it difficult to put the LED bulbs into the usdm headlight housing? The oem light output on the usdm ones are insufficient

For the brand I got, it was simple. You have to use the OEM locking ring, but once that’s on, you fit the LED bulb inside and it locks in place. The bulbs have a fan and the wiring is separated from the bulb so your hardness plug fits in it.

By the way, the bumper lights have been converted to dual filament here (3G Integra version) so they are on with the headlight and flash with turn signal when needed.

Nice job! I still haven’t gotten around to modifying a set of LED H4 bulbs to fit into the JDM headlights yet. It’s been a while since I’ve used my dremel tool :joy:

Did you try looking for a dual filament LED bulb that turns on White with the headlight, but blinks Amber for your turn signals?

2 Likes

Nah. Don’t like yellow :slight_smile:

Hi Neil, what brand led did you get and where?

Torchbeam 9004 headlights
Auxlight H3 foglights

Both from Amazon.

@DaMenace I’m reconsidering my stance on the yellow turn signals given that the difference between the steady vs. brighter flash while the signal is on is kinda meh. Perhaps the yellow is the safer option.

Edit: it looks like they’re being referred to “switchback” bulbs. Run about $10/each.

1 Like

Update brand names above.

For the other bulbs, I got them from Temu so they don’t have a brand name. I was selective with my choices, but I don’t have an idea how good quality they are. The 168s are pretty common everywhere (I got white for the corner lenses and red for the upper taillight). The 1156/7 I’d recommend getting those with lenses on top and protected all around from metal contact (i.e. encased in clear plastic). The ones that are bare metal tend to short out because the entire housing is conductive.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Neil. I put in an order for the torchbeam.

Wish there was something brighter for the one piece h4h

I wonder why the bulbs are different anyway!

Converting the fog lights on the pne pieces for led will be the most challenging but definitely do able. The headlight isn’t hard at all. I did all of my interior in led. I bought from super bright leds, I’ve been pretty happy with them.

I’m confused about your post. The JDM one pieces also used H3 bulbs like USDM. I can’t find H4H style LEDs for the headlights – which is what the JDM one pieces use.

The aftermarket one piece headlights use the USDM bulbs so it is simple.

My da i have hid’s in. I ran the usdm bulb style which is similar to h4h. I think usdm bulbs are 9004 if i remember correctly. Theres a tab that i ground down on the one pieces that i ground down to get them to fit. I used a dremel.

1 Like

Yeah I tried the same thing with H4H and H4. I really wasn’t happy with it. I was thinking about designing some sort of adapter instead.

1 Like

I had originally bought a set h4h but only lasted a month so i swapped to hid’s, next will be led if i ever get the car done.

1 Like

Are those images appearing?

1 Like