Amber bulbs in gauge cluster

Howdy all…

So after reading alot, and trying before unsuccessfully using tamiya clear blue paint on my cluster gauges, I decided to pick up some amber bulbs from Canadian tire. What you’ll need is 2 packs of 24na and 1 pack of 194na.

I found this out the hard way after reading about the bulbs, thinking they were 74’s (the 24n that is).

Exactly what you need is:

2 194 bulbs for the 2 big brown sockets
3 24 bulbs for the 3 smaller brown sockets
and all the little black ones are 74 bulbs.

In that second pic with the clear bulbs, the 2 left are 194’s, the middle 24’s and that one on the right I couldnt find out the size, its from behind the fan/heat & cold dials, anyone know what bulb size that is? its not 74.

Was quite a simple procedure, took me maybe 30mins. Any questions, let me know :slight_smile:

Heres some pics :dance:

bulbs.jpg

clearbulbs.jpg

clusterback.jpg

after1.jpg

cluster.jpg

That looks great bro :up: Good job!

Seems like it’s a lot brighter too, are they krypton or anything?

nope, just regular bulbs :danger:

Looks great!

• WarAmp

so im guessing if you found other color same size bulbs you could do it any color

<- very smart person

yup, I looked around tho, you can find the 194’s pretty much any color, its the 24’s your gonna have problems with, and the 74’s should you want to change the little signal lights and stuff.

very nice :up:

Did you have a problem with the speedometer cable?

Your teg still runs will all those 3’s on there. Thats Awsome!

GrayT

The speedo was a b*tch the first time i attempted doing this, but its really quite easy to do. The actually speedo cable is pretty stiff, so you can pull it towards you, I had to pop my hood and pull it from inside while my friend pushed from the engine bay. Then when the gauge cluster pod is being put back in just feel around with it, you’ll be able to tell when the speedo is inserting , then just push it back and you’ll hear it click in. Then your good to go.

DA JeLLie

runs great still, just gotta keep up the preventative maintenance hehe

man, that looks so nice!

Yeah, I remember when I did my own little modification to the gauge cluster lighting. My hands are too fat to get up in those small places, had to have my friend put the speedo cable in.

how come u cant see the needles? is that cuz of the amber bulbs?

The picture is just dark. The needles don’t glow, they rely on 2 lights up at the top of the gauge cluster.

I unplugged those lights too hehe :slight_smile: looks better. You can see them fine tho, the pic just doesnt show them that well :clap:

damn that looks nice, when i did the my cluster red i broke the damn speedocable, taht inserted in the back of the cluster. afther that i just decided to swap in a DC2 cluter and convert it to electric vss. it was pretty simple other then taht great job. if i didnt mess my sh*t up i would of liked to do that instead

u guys should see my accords guages. i’ll take a picture if i remember. they’re stock. they light up green tho. looks nice. anyway…do they sell all kinds of colors besides amber? cuz i’d like to try red out. i think amber’s gonna be the best tho…its amber!

I just did this, except where I went they didnt have the “74” bulbs. Anyhow, it looks cool.

Can you change the bulb color in Autometer gauges?

is it just me or does the color dont match at all? the left and right side seems to be different and the middle looks dimmer. is it just the camera?

The color is a bit off, because of the distance the bulbs are from certain points on the gauge cluster. The darker areas have bulbs right behind them, and towards teh center its just getting the outter edges of the radiance.