Automatic Shifter Problem - Due to Cold Weather

Just wondering if anybody has a problem with this. 92 auto where the “P” light won’t come on, even though the shifter is in “P”. It’s in park because you can feel it engage and the RPM drops, but the stupid light in the cluster won’t come on. Because of this, I can’t get my key out. Any help would be awesome!

hey its because some part #4

when it gets cold out, it like freeezes it up… u have to wait like 10-mins or so ??

there was a HUUUGGE i mean HUUUUUUUUUge thread about this on here in this topic area… search that…

title i think was… It wont go into park ?

or something like that

ill try to get it for ya.,… gl

I’ve got the same problem. It’s what Acura calls the inhibit switch. It’s a switch mounted on the side of your auto shifter. Take off the console and on the passenger side of the shifter there is a switch. The Haynes manual says you can adjust the switch position slightly but that doesn’t help me. I took off the switch (held on with 2 bolts) and manually moved the switch and there is definetely a bad spot in the “P” position. I called Acura and it’s $50CDN.

There is a solenoid on your ignition switch that will lock it when the vehicle is not in Park and there is a solenoid on your shifter where you can’t get it out of Park if the key is not in the ignition. Good luck.

I think this is the part#

35700-SK7-901

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=INTEGRA&catcgry2=1990&catcgry3=4DR+RS&catcgry5=SELECT%2BLEVER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

Item #4

Thanks everybody!

I just want to thank everybody for the help! I’m sorry I’ve been super busy with school (mid-terms) and haven’t had time to check up or fix the problem! I will try everything and let me know what it is. From the sounds of it, it seems like all you guys are right on! Thanks again guys! Sorry for the lateness in reply :salute:

if your poor you could always just drop the ignition switch cover and clip the 2 wires to the magnetic feed. its a 2 wire connector, one 2 wire is for your key reminder, the other is the lock mechinisim. it goes to the white base in the key lock assembly :slight_smile:

i figure some people dont have time nor money to buy/fix, this is the quickest/cheapest way.

stickied this for a little bit…with winter on the way, there will be 12 more threads about this soon enough!

I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. I found out a solution from here (g2ic) without pics. Taking out the part was kind of tricky because of the wire. Anyways, after :slight_smile: I fixed mine, I took pictures and a friend of mine posted it here with his user name.
Instead of completely changing the part, I cleaned it with rust remover ($1). LOL. I had to clean it a couple of times but it DID work.
I don’t know how much detail will you get when you find a thread related to that fix, but just let me tell you, if you decide to clean that part instead of replacing it with a brand new one, make sure you bring the part up in the apartment and then open it. There is a little ball that falls out when you open the plastic. Don’t loose that little ball. !!!

So school has been kicking my butt, and the temperature has dropped to about 40 degrees at night, and about to get worst. I had placed an order but they tell me that it will be awhile. In the mean time, I have been blasting the heater air onto it, seems to work a little. I have also learned to be very patient with things. Not too much of a hassle right now, But I guess I could cut the wires, for a 5speed conversion doesn’t sound too bad. Thanks guys for everything. You guys are awesome! :clap:

I had this same problem. Cheap easy fix. I just removed the part and cleaned it real good with brake parst cleaner . I had about 40 straight black q-tips lol then i applied some dielectric grease. the weather here already got cold enough to where it would of happened already. seems good so far. Usually in park i could shake the shifter and the P light would blink on and off, now it stays on.

Well I finally got my new switch and installed it last night and all my problems are now gone. It was $53CDN. Only tricky part was getting the electrical connector off the lower dash and getting it disconnected. There is a slot in the top of the connector that slids onto a metal clip that is welded to the bottom of the dash. I slid a knife into the top of the slot to disengage the clip holding it. I had it in “Park” when I took the switch off and put the new switch in the same position when installing it. The holes for the 10mm bolts are slotted so there is some adjustment available but I didn’t need to adjust it. Now I need $200 to have two new tires installed tonight. The fun never ends with an older car.
:auto:

Cutting the wires

In response to XSi kErO 916’s post about cutting the wire. Simple, easy and effective. Save you $50 and if you want to fix it later,just reconnect the wire back and spend $50. I returned my part to the dealer and been driving without a problem. Thanks!
PS Pretty simple. I have 92 4DR so for me it is the second wire. Just take a look at the two wires and it should be clear which wir eto cut. :salute:

if your poor you could always just drop the ignition switch cover and clip the 2 wires to the magnetic feed. its a 2 wire connector, one 2 wire is for your key reminder, the other is the lock mechinisim. it goes to the white base in the key lock assembly

i figure some people dont have time nor money to buy/fix, this is the quickest/cheapest way.

could someone like take a picture of which wire to cut exactly? and the ignition switch is right under the like steering column right? stupid questions but i need some help plzzz tired of bein late too school XD

Might be easier to cut a wire at the actual switch mounted on the side of the auto selector on the center console. Not sure which wire though. You’d need to look over the wiring diagrams.

i hate it when it does it. it pisses me off. esp. if your late for work.

so this problem is coming back now thats its getting cold again, does any one know which wire to cut i have a 91 4 door Ls

ya you can just clean the Neutral Safety Switch, or buy a new one. http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90637

thanx for the help

way easier fix. jus turn off your car n turn it back on. it should reset and u will be able to get your key out.

dame…And i thought my tranny was fucked or something. Now i know whats going on with my car. But i still hate that shit, Fucking like when your at work 5min early and then…BAM! Key gets stuck. haha.