Axles with high HP???

What type of axles are the guys with 500+ whp using? I’m running the ls/vtec with aebs sleeves, arias pistons, eagle rods, ported head with type r valves, skunk2 valve springs and retainers, b16 cams (poop). I am also running the sc6262 with the plm top mount. The problem is, I’m running stock axles and don’t know which way to go with upgraded ones.

My setup pics

Pics (getting ready to sand of surface rust and coat)

i have recently picked up a set of the drive shaft shop 5.9 axels they are rated for up to 800+hp.they are a bit pricey but well worth the peace of mind that you wont have to buy new ones no matter how hard you launch.lol they go great with 24.5 slicks…p.s. i have some itr cams for sale if you want to get rid of the poop cams you have lol…oh and very nice set up!!

B16 cams are fine for 400-450whp. Naturally a better powerband could be had with other cams, but B16s will suffice.

And x2 on DriveShaftShop axles, they’re damn near bulletproof.

Raxles is another option, but I believe DSS to be more durable.

I’ve been checking those out and thought that was the best route to go, but I just wanted to make sure. How much for the itr cams??? I’d also like to get a really good deal on a victor x, just waiting on the right priced used one to pop up.

Thanks for the info

DSS axles are great plus their customer service is top notch. I sent a set of axles with their previous revision hubs, for a refresh and they upgraded the hubs for free

[QUOTE=turboac93;2242534]I’ve been checking those out and thought that was the best route to go, but I just wanted to make sure. How much for the itr cams??? I’d also like to get a really good deal on a victor x, just waiting on the right priced used one to pop up.

Thanks for the info[/QUOTE]

itr cams 300 shipped and paypal fees lmk!! DSS is the way to go!

DSS 5.9s are def. the way to go!

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know on the cams. Good deal, I’m just in the middle of buying a house and need to get that crap out of the way first. I really appreciate everyone’s help.

Stock axles are dirt cheap. Do you really want super tough axles? That’ll just move the weakest link from the axle to the transmission itself.

Then I might as well just go and make 300 whp and not worry about making 600 hp and 10 seconed 1/4’s. The hole point of getting axles is so I don’t have to worry about putting on slicks and then snapping axles every time I go to launch. 600 hp and slicks is going to break stock axles.

your right. 600hp will break more than axles though. if your going to look into axles, then you might as well look into gearsets too. the list of provisions goes on and on. 600hp as a goal tells me that your serious enough to have more than just axles. besides, torque is what your axles answer to. I broke a stock axle from a 1-2 gear shift with 333lbs. of torque, with that said, stock axles can handle at most around 300lbs. of torque. Jake Blackman, a guy here with over double the torque I have; breaks any gearset you can throw at him, but his DSS 5.9s are still in top notch shape. so what I am saying is that axles arent your one time fix all. it is more to the drivetrain than axles.

Do you really want super tough axels…yes. If you seriously want to put the power down. Coming from owning/dragging a 600whp d series; a real axel is a needed upgrade. Swapping out stock axels gets old fast. I would either twist the splines or snap one clean off either at the burnout or launch. Went to DSS and after multiple events, pulled them out and they still looked brand new. Suspension geometry, preload, tire size…so much goes into it but a quality axel is not something to be overlooked in a high hp build.

Waiting until after settlement on house, and then saving for dss 5.9’s. I appreciate the help

I am currently making 500whp+ and I run Napa Lifetime Warranty Axles. I would MUCH rather snap a warrantied axle than break something in my trans :slight_smile: