B16 using b18a1 obd0 harness?

Well due to the fact I have a blown b18 in my teg I am buyin a B16 off a good friend. He claims that I can just use my stock OBD0 harness from the B18A1 with the new OBD0 B16A, is this true? The B16 is COMPLETE with EVERYTHING minus a tranny. All sensors are there. The only thing I thought is that the VTEC wiring harness would have a bunch more wiring for the Vtec compared to the non Vtec B18A1 harness. So anyone know if the harness works?

I searched for this but couldn’t find my exact answer for OBD0. Oh and before anyone tells me not to get a B16, I know they are less tourque, but I am getting it for a VERY fair price and I just want Vtec lol.

Thanks in advance!

Your friend is correct, I personally run a B16 in my car with the stock 91 obd-0 harness.

Thanks a ton for that b16da9, MUCH appreciated!

You’re welcome, also look at the B-series engine swap guide. It will tell you everything that you need to do and how to properly wire it up. Also if you need a PR-3 ecu I could give you the web address on my local forum and look up one of the members that is selling a PR-3 ecu for like $50.00 U.S.

Thanks but this engine actually comes with one lol. Complete B16, Intake manifold, all sensors, vacuum lines, even an alt. with belt, and the ECU. Ill definitely check out the guide though thanks!

hey b16da9 how do yo like the b16a motor in your da? is there a big difference between the b18a1 and the b16a? I wanted to do this swap and everyone said not to but jus wanted feedback from someyone with this motor in a da thanks

well, I too have a b16a in my car and I love it. I have a 92 b16a (P30 pistons) and it makes 170 at the crank. what b16 do you have?

when I installed mine, I used a chipped P28 (no knock sensor), a OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness and I wired up VTEC off of that harness. now, as far as your b16, if it is a OBD0 b16 (first gen) all you have to run is the VTEC wire off of the PR3 ECU you have now and then ground the other wire to the body or transmission. but in all, the worst part is pulling the old motor out and putting the new one in. oh, and if you plan to buy a header, you’re going to have to buy one for a b16 or one for a 92-93 GSR because of the lower deck height of both motors (the height measured from the top of the oil pan to the bottom of the head) or you will have fitment problems with both the block and the center cross member.

[QUOTE=wolfenr1984;1950421]well, I too have a b16a in my car and I love it. I have a 92 b16a (P30 pistons) and it makes 170 at the crank. what b16 do you have?

when I installed mine, I used a chipped P28 (no knock sensor), a OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness and I wired up VTEC off of that harness. now, as far as your b16, if it is a OBD0 b16 (first gen) all you have to run is the VTEC wire off of the PR3 ECU you have now and then ground the other wire to the body or transmission. but in all, the worst part is pulling the old motor out and putting the new one in. oh, and if you plan to buy a header, you’re going to have to buy one for a b16 or one for a 92-93 GSR because of the lower deck height of both motors (the height measured from the top of the oil pan to the bottom of the head) or you will have fitment problems with both the block and the center cross member.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton for the info man. For now I will be just using OBD0 to be getting it running, maybe somewhere down the line I will swap over to 1. So there should be 2 wires off the ECU? One I ground, and one I run to… somewhere? lol

almost. you will have to run two wires from the ECU to both the VTEC solenoid and the VTEC oil pressure switch. one of the wires off of the solenoid you run to the ECU, the other you run to a ground or make a new one somewhere. It doesn’t matter which one, either will work to either place but one has to go to the ECU. you will also have to run a wire to the oil pressure switch and the wiring is the same; one wire to the ECU, the other to a ground. also, if your b16 is OBD0, you can leave the harness alone. if it is OBD1, you will have to extend the wires from the rear mounted coolant temp switch to the thermostat mounted temp switch. all of this is pretty easy really.

Awesome thanks that was explained perfectly. The car is OBD0 so all I will have to do is run the wires. So this is how it goes:

ECU -> VTEC solenoid, VTEC Oil Pressure Swtich
Solenoid -> ECU + Ground
Oil Pressure Swtich -> ECU + Ground

The ECU has a bunch of places to wire this in or do I splice into the harness somewhere? Thanks again for the info.

Also, the tranny on the motor he will include for an extra 50. But we can’t figure out if its a YS1 short gear or long geared, anything specific in the code or on the tranny that will tell us what it is?

OBD-0 B16A’s require a second O2 sensor as well.

will they not run properly on a single O2 sensor set up? I am guessing the ECU will be set up for 2 O2 sensors and Ill get a CEL with only 1?

It won’t run properly if both are not hooked up. I’m not sure if you’ll get a CEL, but it will run like shit. Do like I did and just buy this: OBD-0 VTEC Subharness

Plug 'n play. Done.

Easy enough, will buy

:up:

So then all I would have to do is get another O2 sensor and have a bung welded on my exhaust somewhere?

If you are running the stock exhaust manifold you wont.

incorrect. OBD2 b16’s require 2 o2 sensors. the 2 doesn’t mean two sensors but just by chance, all obd1 cars use one o2 sensor and obd2 cars use two sensors. also, obd1 o2 sensors are almost always heated, the only reason why they are 3 or 4 wire o2 sensors. obd2 cars use two o2 sensors to monitor pre and post catalytic convert emission levels. so, being pr3 is more than likely a obd0 pr3 ECU, you will use only one o2 sensor and I believe it is one wire, just like the sensors on the 1991 and later model integras (90-91).

[QUOTE=wearedaughters;1950713]It won’t run properly if both are not hooked up. I’m not sure if you’ll get a CEL, but it will run like shit. Do like I did and just buy this: OBD-0 VTEC Subharness

Plug 'n play. Done.[/QUOTE]

this harness includes the second 02 sensor connector if you are going to run a obd2 ecu and motor in a 90-91 integra. it wasn’t made to run two o2 sensors on a obd0 setup; that isn’t necessary nor it is possible. wait, I take that back, it is possible but the second o2 sensor will never function on a obd0 ECU, therefore, it isn’t necessary.

No. I have an OBD0 JDM B16A in my DA. It has two (2) O2 sensors. They are each one-wire non-heated sensors. I am running the stock PW0 ECU as well. That is the exact subharness that I am running in my Integra.