B17 or B20? Need advise!

I’m going to be picking a complete B17 setup from a forum member at an incredibly reasonable price. I have some plans in my head for a setup, but I do not have any build experience. I was hoping I’d get some advice. I want to make this motor high compression, dishing out 100 shot of nitrous on occasion. this is to be my daily driver/weekend strip car. I do not have a budget for this motor, and I have no limit in regards to budget. I don’t know if I want to keep the b17 block and sleeve it to 84mm, or go b20 and get the block sleeved. I know the stroke on a b17 is less than a b18/b20, so i’d gain some power going b20. I fully expect this motor to see 8,500+ RPM on occasion. I’m planning on going full buddy club valvetrain with BC IV cams, dual titanium valve springs and retainers, 5 anglel valve job/port and polish, forged wiseco pistons/eagle rods, etc. The motor already has ARP studs/bolts and dual valve springs. I am going to go either OEM or ACL race bearings. My main problem thus far is if it’s worth it to keep the b17 and build it up, or sell it and go b20. I’ve contemplated sleeving the b17, but again I don’t know what would be best for me. The way I see it is if i’m going to put all this money into a motor, it needs to be the best it can be with the money that was put in it. I’d hate to build a b17 up with this much money, and then realize i could have built a better motor for the same price that yeilds more power.

If you’re trying to maximize your performance per dollar spent, go for the B20.

It’ll be faster at the track and more enjoyable as a daily driver.

Bump. any more input would be appreciated!

Both are great engines. B17s are a little bit more, but less reliable. B20s are a bit slower on top end but a lot cheaper. I went b20, i dont regret it, but haveing vtec would be cool.

You could always do B20 vtec. Best bang for the buck.

My assumption in recommending a B20 block over a B17 was that you’d be putting a VTEC head on it. With “no limit in regards to budget” it would make no sense to do a B20 without the head swap.

Of course, if there really is no budget limit, then a B series powered Integra is not going to be the fastest choice :).

[QUOTE=jdi;2062346]My assumption in recommending a B20 block over a B17 was that you’d be putting a VTEC head on it. With “no limit in regards to budget” it would make no sense to do a B20 without the head swap.

Of course, if there really is no budget limit, then a B series powered Integra is not going to be the fastest choice :).[/QUOTE]

You are correct in that regard. I’m not looking for the fastest g2, rather something that’ll give other g2s a run for their money. I seen a k20 swap thread into a g2 and the driver could only break into the 13s. Put that same motor into a civic crx and you’ll have an 11-12 second car. Finding comparison info on b17 vs b20vtec is extremely hard. I guess ehat I’m asking is if I should go b20vtec or b17, both fully built. Ill be using the b17 head if I go b20vtec, along with b17 transmission.

b20vtec hands down.

You’ll be MUCH more happy with the results.

I’m going b20vtec. I’ve made up my mind. Now i’ve been reading up on people using the b17 crank. What advantages do I have of using b17 crank? I’d have to get a custom rod length created for that application correct?

Hey bro, I live not too far from you. If you need some help, LMK

Mike

[QUOTE=Orlando_GSR;2062594]Hey bro, I live not too far from you. If you need some help, LMK

Mike[/QUOTE]

No prob. Will do, thanks!

EDIT: Are you on orlandoforums.com? If not, let me get your e-mail.

[QUOTE=VerbalVenom;2062595]No prob. Will do, thanks!

EDIT: Are you on orlandoforums.com? If not, let me get your e-mail.[/QUOTE]

Yea man I’m on the OF… my screen name there is 1goldteg…

VerbalVenom, the whole point of going B20 is to get more displacement. Putting a B17 crank in it throws away that advantage. You’ll end up with a motor that makes less power and costs more.

stroke yes, but with custom rods that’ll fix that problem.

using the b17 crank will yield you less stroke, thus lower displacement. it’ll put you somewhere back in the 1.8L range, thus defeating the whole b20 point in the first place. you’ll be able to run higher rpms with lower piston speeds, but thats about it. if you wanted to do that, then you should just bore the b17 to 84mm and be almost 2.0L (the b17 shares the same short deck block as the b16. B18 and B20 motors had a deck about 2mm taller or something like that) but if you’re going to go sleeving blocks, then again, I’d still say use the b20 block.

if you’re gonna go through the trouble of having the old cylinders cut out, and new ones pressed in, Golden Eagle sleeves, bore them out to 85mm (86 max) and run a stock LS/B20 crank. just put new OEM or ACL race bearings in it, replace all your core bolts with ARP, get a set of high compression 85mm pistons (I’m a fan of CP Pistons, personally) and you’ll have a bottom end that will be as reliable as a stock honda motor, but can rev to your desired 8500 rpm very safely.

[QUOTE=imcnblu;2062610]using the b17 crank will yield you less stroke, thus lower displacement. it’ll put you somewhere back in the 1.8L range, thus defeating the whole b20 point in the first place. you’ll be able to run higher rpms with lower piston speeds, but thats about it. if you wanted to do that, then you should just bore the b17 to 84mm and be almost 2.0L (the b17 shares the same short deck block as the b16. B18 and B20 motors had a deck about 2mm taller or something like that) but if you’re going to go sleeving blocks, then again, I’d still say use the b20 block.

if you’re gonna go through the trouble of having the old cylinders cut out, and new ones pressed in, Golden Eagle sleeves, bore them out to 85mm (86 max) and run a stock LS/B20 crank. just put new OEM or ACL race bearings in it, replace all your core bolts with ARP, get a set of high compression 85mm pistons (I’m a fan of CP Pistons, personally) and you’ll have a bottom end that will be as reliable as a stock honda motor, but can rev to your desired 8500 rpm very safely.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like exactly what I want to do. I just wanted to clear up some things in regards to the b17 crank. I’ve heard of b20 builds using a b17 crank but never understood why.

OooOoooooOh… I love it when you say that! Whisper that softly into my ears once again… OoOooh! Makes me pop a boner! :naughty: LOL

Seriously… good luck with your build man, wished I had unlimited budget for my toys.

[QUOTE=hybrid90;2062644]OooOoooooOh… I love it when you say that! Whisper that softly into my ears once again… OoOooh! Makes me pop a boner! :naughty: LOL

Seriously… good luck with your build man, wished I had unlimited budget for my toys.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! I’ve contemplated doing a swap for too long. Now that I want to do it, i’ve got an “I dont give a shit about cost” attitude. That saves me from cheaping out on parts as well.

I envy u my friend. AnywAY since your a baller like that if u decide that u don’t need any of your b17 stuff lmk I’m sure I can store it for a rainy day. We should all do a meet. There is a bunch of us in this area.

[QUOTE=Orlando_GSR;2062594]Hey bro, I live not too far from you. If you need some help, LMK

Mike[/QUOTE]

Same here I live in south orlando I don’t mind helpin either It would be awesome to hook up with some da ppl sonce I hardly see em. Im gettin ready to do a b17 swap my self don’t be a stranger!