Big Brake Kit Questions?

I am in the market for a brake upgrade for my integra. I will be doing an abs delete as well with a new master cylinder and brake booster. I hope to be seeing some track time in the car so id like something that holds up to some abuse. I just don’t know what to pull the trigger on. Any recommendations?! what have you tried/ liked/ don’t like?

thanks in advance
-Chag

A big brake kit wont really do you much good. A nice set of rotors and pads with ss lines and MAYBE some wilwood calipers if you want will be more than enough. I run my car pretty hard and im using ebc slotted and dimpled rotors with the green stuff pads and ss lines with the stock calipers. Once warmed up theyre amazing. I get zero fade and i have yet to get my wheels to lock.

The wilwood calipers are direct bolt on upgrade so no need to modify anything. They require a different pad than the stock caliper though. You would have to be driving pretty hard to get any benefit of a BBK on a DA.

you can also upgrade your brake system completely by getting the set up from a legend or some other honda sedan. Look into that. Theres a guy on here selling bolt on s2000 brakes.

I have a set of legend dual piston calipers and prelude rotors but haven’t had time to cut or shave the bracket to make them fit.

Wilwood now offers a 4 piston caliper that uses our stock size rotors. 400 shipped with pads and new hardware. Will also fit behind most 15’s as well as some OE Honda 15’s.

Other options are to use '04 Mini Cooper base model rotors as they’re 4x100, then ITR calipers, brackets, and pads. But even a good set of vented rotors, some track oriented brake pads, stainless lines, etc.

No shaving needed. Just run the 07 Mini cooper rotors like DA_all_day mentioned. That’s what I have on my car as well.

As for the main question here, I’m with the others, stick with the stock setup until you NEED something more. Possibly you have a really high hp car and could already need better brakes, but you didn’t post that info, so we’ll assume you have a stock or at least mild setup (<200whp). Start with good pads, lines and fluid. Rotors don’t matter, they are wear items, I buy the cheapest ones possible.

If the stock brakes with good pads don’t hold up, then try a race compound. Or if a race compound isn’t a good fit since the car rarely sees the track, then I’d consider an OEM brake upgrade with good pads like already mentioned.

And don’t let anyone give you advice other than from people that have actually tracked their car. You can’t judge how well a pad or brake component will work on track by how it performs on the street.

well im running a b20vtec somewhat build. hoping for around 220 wheel hp after the tune. but okay. thanks guys ill look into the legend setup. see if I cant get my hands on those. main reason I wanna do it all is my brakes that are on the car ore shot I mean calipers rotors pads everything is bad.

^That makes more sense then. If those components need to be replaced anyway then the cost to improve them and move up to something better will almost be negligible. The smart move would be to opt for ITR/Legend or S2000 calipers up front with the corresponding larger pads and rotors. Make sure you get good pads. Upgrade to braided lines, speed bleeders, and good fluid while you’re at it. I’d keep the rears the stock size but upgrade the pads/lines.

Or if you’re baller, then Spoon clappers up front. I can’t see you ever needing more than that unless you drastically increase horsepower OR make the car a dedicated track car, and even then you’d be good for a long time if you just upgrade to race compound pads.

okay sweet. but as far as the brake booster goes. stick to stock? or are there any others I could consider?

Stock. I don’t even know of a suitable option for an aftermarket booster. Some people delete the booster altogether but this is generally for looks, not performance. If they opt for a new pedal setup like you see in race cars then this can be a good way to go for some, but generally it’s a lot of work and cost for little/no benefit. And simply deleting the booster and keeping the pedals stock is retarded, it’ll be REALLY difficult to brake.

So two years I had the legend calipers sitting collecting dust and all I needed was mini rotors.
Can I still use the stock legend brackets to mount them to the hub.

You can, you need the 23T brackets from the single piston legend calipers though, not the 28T from the dual piston calipers.

Sweet, I’m going to pick up a set this weekend.

25T will also work. I’m not sure about the 28T. The number on these brackets has to do with the opening (essentially rotor width). So the 23T is fine, but using the 25T which is a little wider is just fine. I’m running ITR calipers w/ 25T brackets & Mini rotors on mine. They have to be the base model Mini rotors from an 07, if you get confused, just do some searches, there’s tons of info on H-T and NWP.

is there another option of brake booster I can run something maybe a tad smaller. reason is I am having clearance issues because I am running the edelbrock victor x intake manifold and seems to be somewhat running on the reservoir

You could put a smaller reservoir on it. I’d go to a junkyard and check other Hondas to see what will fit. I know the EF reservoirs are much smaller in diameter than the DA ones, but I’m not positive if the bottom is the same size (and thus would fit a DA MC).

Colin- Is the 25T the type R bracket? What booster/mc are you running? Mine is just the stock 15/16" and I’ve been thinking of upgrading to the ITR one because its 1" and I like the design of the MC reservoir more.

I think the 25T is the Legend bracket, but I’m not sure. They came with my reman ITR calipers, but iirc I was expecting them to come with the 23T.

I’m running the stock 1" master cylinder since my car is a GSR. I like the look of the DA MC reservoir more personally over the newer boxy reservoirs so I never thought about changing mine. If you do use the ITR MC I believe you will need different fittings on the hard lines (I’m unsure if its one or both). But this isn’t an issue since you need to change at least one fitting when doing the abs delete anyway and I think you’re up to speed on how to do that. Also, I’m not sure if you’d need the ITR booster as well or if the original booster will work, there’s info on that here on G2ic somewhere, I remember reading about it many years ago.

The 15/16" MC is fine with the bigger brakes but I’ve always thought that it just made sense to use a 1". All that will be different is pedal feel. You’ll need a little more travel in the pedal with the smaller MC to achieve the same braking. This is why some people don’t like the larger MC with stock sized brakes, they feel they can be too touchy. I never had a problem though when I was running stock sized brakes and no issues now with the larger ones either.

Part of me still wants to look into S2000 calipers since they are lighter than the ITR/Legend ones, but I’m not sure how much clearance is affected as they are slightly larger in diameter as well.

I have an RS so I didn’t have abs to begin with. I don’t mind changing fittings though since I’ll be fabbing up my own lines for the entire brake system. I believe I will need the booster as well because the bolt patterns are slightly different from the mc to booster. Can’t remember off the top of my head though. I read altogether too much to retain it all.

Honestly I don’t know that the S2000 calipers would be a huge or even noticeable upgrade in your situation since you’ve already upgraded to the ITR calipers. You never know though.

The upgrade would be the decrease in weight. I’m pretty much maxed out on how much lighter my car can get without doing some more serious mods, stuff that’s not legal in my class, or hacking up the body. When I weighed it the other day with about a half tank I was at 2434 with driver. If I can loose some weight and put my lighter wheels on, I should be able to get close to 2400.

Ah I see. I can’t imagine they’re THAT much lighter though are they?