buzzing sound from exahust!

Ever since I had my muffler and new pipes put in I have been getting a buzzing sound from around that area. It sounds like metal vibrating against metal. Anybody knw what it is, and how I can fix it?

C.K. James

Could be the heat shield touching the chassis. You might want to check that out. The heat shield should be around your Cat area. You should be able to bend the shield(s) a little with your hand.
Does it buzz loud when you are coasting in gear or when your accelerate? Unless your exhaust has loose bolts or bad welds?

HTH
1.7NA

Originally posted by 1.7NA
C.K. James
Could be the heat shield touching the chassis. You might want to check that out. The heat shield should be around your Cat area. You should be able to bend the shield(s) a little with your hand.
Does it buzz loud when you are coasting in gear or when your accelerate? Unless your exhaust has loose bolts or bad welds?
HTH
1.7NA

It is when I accelerate. How do I find heatsheilds, and how do I bend them. I am new with all this, so how do I know if they are bad welds?

mine does the samething and both of my heat sheads are off. I only notice it when the engine is cold. But when it warms up it not there as much

check the bends…if u had the pipes done in the shop it might have been done improperly. i had the same problem…the bend above my bottom sway bar touches my pipes…take note however that u might not notice this if there’s nobody inside your car…(no added weight)…that’s what happened to me…it looked fine when i inspected it when it was still up in the shop but when i got in and specially when i have passenger(s) the noise is very noticeable…so i had fixed…the shop would usually fix it for free…

The heat shield is under your car right around where the shifter is located. You will need to jack up your car to check it out. Normally, the shield(s) sits fairly close to the exhaust pipe already. I had a problem where my shield was touching my exhaust pipe and one of the corners was bent towards the chassis of the car. You can bend them a little with your hands. You might checkout what killjoy posted as well. What size is your exhaust?

My pipes from the cat back are 2 1/4 and my b3 muffler is like 18 or so inches includung the tip.

I just went outside w/ a friend to have him rev the engine while I checked the noise. It is really odd, I could almost swear that it was coming out of the muffler. It doesnt look like any of my heat sheilds or anthing is rubbing. But it still sounds like metal on metal. What the hell else could it be?

Do you have a resonator?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joeygill
[B]Do you have a resonator?

I’m sorry, I don’t know what the resonator is. I’m still learning.

Your exhaust will be buzzy until you get a resonator. That will help a bit, but make sure you have a catalytic converter. If you have no cat and not resonator that is how it will sound. It sounds like ****.

CK, if you want you can roll to my house on Saturday. I will be redoing my suspension so I can take a look at your car and tell you what is the matter with it. Hit me up 562-682-1934

I’m having the same problem, on a 90 4door.

I’m running a 2.25’ pipe all the way no cat, the second day i had it it started buzzing around 3000, or whenever i punch it.

the exhaust sounds really good until that buzzing kicks in.

since it kicks in and out, this probablY means it’s a heat shield rIght?

I hope it’s not just the way the exhaust sounds…

[edit] No Resonator, straight through Ractive Muffler
Engine’s All Stock

Future Engine Mods:
DC Sports Header
Skunk2 Intake
Crower 403 Cams
AEM CAI[/edit]

Ok, people, here’s the thing: many modified exhausts make buzzing sounds. It is NOT the heat shields. It is NOT the piping hitting anything. It is how our cars sound. No, it isn’t that pleasing to the ears, but frankly, I don’t care. Go to a track and listen to some of the cars that pull good times. Most of them sound like crap. Is it a common problem with custom exhausts I find, and an aftermaret cat makes it worse.

Cliff notes: it is how Honda’s sound and you can’t fix it.

Originally posted by C.K. James
My pipes from the cat back are 2 1/4 and my b3 muffler is like 18 or so inches includung the tip.
you have the same exact setup as me. mine does it too, it’s buzzy until the cars been running a few minutes :danger:

Yes, I would try a resonator.

And yes, I believe Hondas buzz, so you’re SOL. Every Honda I’ve heard with an aftermarket exhaust, buzzes. ESPECIALLY, when the resonator is cut out.

I’ll try a resonator,

I really don’t think this is the sounds of the engine though, it only buzzes when I’m driving, when I just rev it up it doesn’t happen.

I just parked on a curb and got under my car, none of the heat shields are even close. One of the hanger ends is about 1/2 inch from the exhaust pipe. Could This be it?

What does a resonator do exactly?

Resonates sound.

:)?

i know what the word resonate means, thx

I want to know what the real world effect of a resonator is, and why would it help with my buzzing??

If in fact it does resonate sound, this would mean it intensifies the sound, making the buzzing louder?

Originally posted by scooby_dooby
[B]i know what the word resonate means, thx

I want to know what the real world effect of a resonator is, and why would it help with my buzzing??

If in fact it does resonate sound, this would mean it intensifies the sound, making the buzzing louder? [/B]

Sound is a wave. To cancel out sound, you must produce a wave of the opposite shape. Resonators are bigger than the normal exhaust pipe so sound waves can bounce “higher” then bounce down creating almost the same sound wave, but its not in sync with the rest, so they cancel it other out (i hope that made sense).

Because resonators only resonate a certain wave, they will only cancel out certain frequencies, so pick your resonator carefullly. Larger diameter resonators usually cancel out deeper tones, while smaller diameters usually cance out higher freq tones. This is partly why our exhaust gets deeper/louder when you get larger diameter catback.

Theres always something that can throw this out of wack tho, like crush bent piping, cats, mufflers, exhaust length, etc. Adding more than 1 of the same resonator wont cancel out the sound any better usually, cuz one can do the job just fine. If you want more than one resonator, make sure they are all different sizes so they will cancel out different frequencies.

I’ve found that glasspacks work pretty good as a resonator for my car, and it only costs $20 :up: