CA Legal 90 Rs Turbo Build Thread

I have decided to keep my 90 Integra RS and want to go Turbo with her. Im gonna be buying parts piece by piece until I have them all and will throw them all together but I am having one problem. I cannot find many parts at all for the B18a1 engine block. I want to find internals and everything for this engine block but googling and searching here is only finding me bolt-ons and parts that aren’t CA legal but wont hurt smog (ex. Crower Stage 1 cams.) I am going CA legal and want to see just how much power I can get legally with a LS engine under the hood. Since everybody does VTEC swaps, I wanna appear at the local races with a sleeper B18a1 Turbo setup. All the boosted cars around here are evo’s and eclipse’s and their slow compared to some of these nitrous boosted hatches and what not. Im aiming my power goals for 250+ WHP. I want something that is gonna beat a VTEC car with bolt on-s and a little bit more then that. I am trying to stay CA legal and want to swap out all the internals since I have low compression in my first cylinder and have to do the piston rings anyways. I am going to continue my search on this site and TI for LS Turbo builds that are CA legal. Please dont bash me, I am just trying to reach my goals I have planned for this car.

it seems that you need to read more into the turbo guide that is posted in this section. it can only help you as far as your goals. and as far as CA legal turbo kits for a 90 integra…there are NONE. there are none for any G2 integra Im sorry. so if you take the time to put one on in CA, just know that it is illegal. nobody here can tell you what you can get away with on your car. as far as internals, low compression is one of the best things about the LS. there are no street legal pistons or cams, or at least advertised in that sense, so what your concern would come down to are intake, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold and honestly as soon as anyone sees a turbo on a 1990-1993 integra, it should raise brows because nothing that year is legal. so what I am saying is do this at your own risk, but most who do this in CA, know what they are getting into before they do it. look into edelbrock and greddy manifolds if you want to “look” legal. these have carb oe#s. that doesnt mean youll pass anything by far. just trying to help.

I have found this EO#: D-397-7 and it lists 1990 - 1997 RS and also 1990 - 2000 LS/GS models for the turbo @ http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php
But when I read further down, it is not showing the B18A1 engine just the B1. Maybe they were too lazy to put it in, but either or I will start my build with this turbo size.

As I progress with this list with my chump change purchases, I will be posting links and pictures of what I am buying so that we can have a definitive list for a CA Legal “Non-VTEC” Integra build.

There are ways you can have a legal turbo car. Even though they do not make legal turbos specifically for our cars(DA/DB). They make legal turbos for other B series engines. If you were to BAR Certified a GSR, SI, or Type R engine into our DA/DB cars, then add a Legal Turbo Kit(greddy) that’s SPECIFICALLY meant for that particular engine. Than you have Smog Legal Car. Greddy Turbo Kits have EO numbers for Smog Regulations.

JUST FYI:

Because you have a certified aftermarket turbo does not mean you are able to pass smog if that’s what you are looking for. Each engine can produce a different amount of carbons. Let me know if you have any questions. Took some smog classes and learned a lot.

@ Integ- I have a few questions about smog actually. My entire goal is to produce more power but keep my car smog legal. If it is possible to keep the same compression ratio in my block but replace the pistons or what not internally to handle more stress and produce more power, that is almost exactly what I am looking for. I dont want some wacked out 11:1 compression ratio just to push out more pounds of boost for more horsepower. I just want a gsr bolt on killer with more power and to stay within state regulations.

Upon viewing that site I wonder why it says 90-97 RS but just teh B18bB1 engine that came in the obd-1 non-VTEC’s.

I can’t weigh in much on this topic because I’m not familiar with all of the strict regulations you guys face in Cali. However, with the numbers you’re shooting for, I don’t think you’ll need to build the internals of the motor. If you want to do it because you have a high mileage motor, I would find myself a low mileage JDM B18B or even USDM. Once again, I don’t know much about CA laws, but I thought you were able to swap a motor in as long as it was from a car newer than the chassis it was going into. Along with the certification that is apparently needed from whoever. It wouldn’t take much to beat a bolt-on GSR when you’re boosting.

Those are my 2 cents on the topic. Good luck with your build.

Wish I could contribute but subscribed…Living in Socal and dealing with smog every two years…this is getting interesting. I will say this, the cat is good chunk of the cali smog test. Last year my da9 failed. Got a new cat installed and wow! I didn’t do anything else! The readings were like night and day. The da with a new cat barely puts out any pollution. Nox at 25mph was almost zero! Nox is almost always why/if my car fails smog.

Ng

Ng

[QUOTE=ng8650;2235797]Got a new cat installed and wow!

Ng

Ng[/QUOTE]

I have a quick off topic question, what brand of catalytic converter did you go with to get those good numbers on the emissions?

If you increase the amount of air/fuel in the cylinders, then as a result you will increase the compression, which could be too much. In order to keep the final running compression the same, the initial compression (without boost) has to be dropped to compensate.

Here are some helpful links.

Greddy Turbo Kit.
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/deadlock23/298-greddy-turbo-kit-faqs.html

EO Number look up data base:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

I understand the air/fuel ratio will bump up but with a CA legal turbo I am not too worried about that. If using the turbo kit alone will keep it legal that is fine with me, but I want the internals upgraded to something more solid anyways. I want to know that if I wanted too I could boost my engine up even higher and not have to worry about buying internals but also keeping it ca state legal at the same time.

You can get forged internals that wont raise your compression. They prob wont be cali legal but I dont think it will make your car run any different unless you increase boost. And how will they know you have different intetnals, its not like there going to rip your motor apart.

Why would forged internals be illegal if they do not increase the compression ratio of the car? Is it because it is stronger and can support a higher amount of boost if needed?

this would not contribute to a smog failure as long as your compression stays the same. they are worried about the environment, so in the end if your nox are high, then you have a problem. that is it in a nut shell.