Changing clutch myself... any tips?

haha i know how you feel ,just makes the work more fun, just don’t do anything dangerous while drinking, especially if you lift your car and put it on blocks…would suck to have the car fall on you cause you didn’t support it nicely lol

well off to school now, when i get back i’m changing my clutch as well, should finish tonight or tomorrow.

Good luck man! :up:

Don’t worry about me, I always do things safely! At first my gf was worried that I would hurt myself… by the end of the day she was more worried I was going to touch something in the house and get grease everywhere hahaha

Take pics with the tranny out :slight_smile: I wanna see!

I’ve been taking pictures all along… I just haven’t resized or uploaded them yet. I’ll post pics once I’m done :up:

I didn’t take too many pics due to that grease thing.

i got mine out, just didnt get any pics. i didnt even take out the shift rods, it dropped straight down. i hurt myself though, i was holding the tranny while my buddy let the jack down, when suddenly the tranny moved, and the edge where it mates to the motor cut my fingers like a knife, fingers are all gashed, almost cut down to the bone…hurts but im alright lol. my car will be on the road tomorrow, i just discovered tonight my flywheel is a 12 lbs ITR one, that’s excellent! :up: i just can’t wait to drive my car…will be a whole new vehicle, i dropped a B20B p8r in it, with ITR flywheel, new clutch kit, and rebuilt YS1 tranny! i’ll let you know tomorrow dude, good luck with yours :clap:

Well, I got in another 2 hours or so this morning before work. I went over to my parents house at around 8am and had the transmission out of my donor car (2 door) by 9:30. So the total time for taking out the transmission in that car was right around 3 hours. Not bad! Took me almost 9-10 hours to do my 4 door! But, then again, my 2 door is in mint shape, it’s clean inside and out (especially the engine bay) and I have so much shit relocated in it that I could get my impact gun on a LOT more bolts then I could in the 4 door GS. It was a breeze!! I enjoyed not having to worry about the battery, the PS pump/lines, the A/C hoses/lines/fan, the ABS shit, most of the wires, etc. Everything’s been removed or relocated… SO much easier to work with!

So now I have the transmissions out of both of my cars. Tomorrow morning bright and early I have to go and take the clutch components out of my 2 door. Then it’s back to my apartment where I have to do the same to my 4 door. Then it’s the “fun” part… I have to then install the clutch and put the transmisson back in. If all goes as planned I hope to finish this tomorrow! It’s been fun so far, hopefully it continues to go as planned! Pics should be up on Monday!

I couldn’t have done this without the information and walk throughs I’ve read here on G2IC. I love this place! hahah Thanks everyone for your help, support and encouragement! I’m going to need it!! :up:

well i hope that you finish soon, getting it back together is faster than taking it apart. when we take things apart, we sometimes come across obstacles that you try figure out, but when we put it back together we expect these things and find ways to get across them easier. my car will be ready tonight, im going to work on it in a few minutes, while i do that, my brother is gonna install my supra spoiler, and finish chopping my antenna, and fabricate me some nice back lights (r33 style with my little twist to it). i’ll let you know tonight how it goes, give me news how your turns out dude! good luck :up:

I got it done!! :dance:

It all went really well. I impressed myself by doing this almost 100% solo (I got my father to help removing the axle nuts, but that was it… the rest was done on my own!). In total, it took me 34 hours from beginning to end. This was the time to remove the transmission and clutch from my 4 door, remove the transmission and clutch from my 2 door, and re-install my clutch and transmission in my 4 door. All done in the driveway at my apartment lol. I came out of it with a 2 semi-deep cuts, badly bruised knuckles, a 5 inch long scrape on my upper arm, and a fat lip (a wrench slipped and hit me in the mouth while I was laying on my back under the car haha), and a few other minor injuries… but I guess with a “no pain, no gain” attitude, that’s not so bad. Total spent on the project was under $100 for tools/parts (various sockets sizes, syncromesh fluid, grease, etc). So I’m not complaining!!

Anyways, the highlight of this whole ordeal is that I replaced my 2 front axles (no more clicking! :slight_smile: woo!), my shifter bushing (with ES poly urethane), and re-filled the transmission with GM syncromesh! I had a BAD grind going into 3rd and 5th since I owned the car (more then a year). I had to baby it into 3rd keeping it under 3k RPM for it to not grind (or grind just a little bit). It now doesn’t grind at all! At any rpm. Smooth as butter! I think it was a combination of the syncromesh, the new clutch/bearings, cable adjustments, etc. But whatever it was, it worked like a charm!!

In total I took roughly 70 pics from beginning to end. I will start anew thread shortly with pictures! Thank G2IC for your help! I couldn’t have done it without this site! That’s for sure! :up:

Congrats. No small task. Now you get a :cookie: I thought we used to have an icon for :beer:, but a cookie will have to do. :wink:

glad to see you are luckier than me, i need to change my cable, well at least i think that’s it lol. even with the cable adjusted all the way, my clutch won’t disengage, and makes a slight slipping noise when it does start to grab. i am gonna get a cable from a member here on g2ic, hopefully that works i wanna go to the drag race saturday and try out my new engine… wish me luck peeps.

I decided not to bother starting another post with all the pics and info… I’m too tired lol. So here’s a link to the page I’ve setup on my website to document the process. There’s lots of info and pics to go through. Enjoy!! :up:

Click here to see the pictures and info!!

Congrats to a job well done and avoiding paying a shop big bucks. My car beat my ass also, I busted my lip and got a really small chip in my tooth when my wrench slipped off the rear mount bracket bolt. Oh, and my fingernail is half way grown back also. lol

wow… 34 hours… congrats on doin it on jackstands

i did mines with a lift n air tools in 4 hours… ( the axle nut came out so quick) ya…
good job.!!

you drank Bud? you live in canada.

Yea, we have Bud in Canada. I also enjoy Coors Light, MGD and a few other “American” based beers.

There’s also Moslon, Labatt, Keiths, Olands, Schooners, and a few decent micro breweries that are available here. Beer is beer to me. My favorites would have to be Budweiser with Blue Light a close second. :up:

don’t forget about a nice smooth alpine :up:

I just find it humorous when lots of people down here won’t drink Bud (most where I live), vastly preferring Canadian beers.

canadian beer has stronger alcyhol content, due to different laws than the states, which means a stronger beer, and less beer to get you drunk. still nothing compared to european beer, that’s the shiznit!!