Changing clutch myself... any tips?

how hard is it to take the flywheel bolts off?

it takes two, someone to hold the crank pulley with a tire iron, or 19mm rachet, while the other one breaks them free with a 17mm socket, and a rachet with a pipe on it. or use an impact gun and get those suckers off!

what clutch do you have? i got one from someone yesterday, and cant figure out what it it. it looks just like yours. it has a name on it some company called valeo. i was told it was an exedy stage 2 clutch but it is clearly not. do you know anything about these clutches?

mine also says valeo on it, i think that’s the company who makes the pressure plate, cause my clutch kit is made by fenco, some cheap ass crap company, regret getting it. also saw another clutch kit by another company that said valeo on it.

yea cause i bought a clutch from someone and he said it was an exedy stage 1 pressure plate with a stage 2 disk. when i saw that it said valeo, i flipped out, and called him up. then thats when he told me that it was a exedy stage 1 pressure plate with a stage 2 disk. anyone know anything that can help me out thanks

wow, i wish i had somewhere to even change my clutch. i hate to have to pay someone for this. :frowning: but i wouldnt mind paying a g2icER for some help, so please if you can help me change my clutch ill pay you :slight_smile: im in soCal

i was just comparing my clutch and your clutch and they look the same. what kinda of clutch do you have. i dont know what brand mine is

My clutch is a shitty brand called “Dynapak” I believe. I just picked up the cheapest thing I could find and regretted it right away. I have wanted to pick up a new clutch for my DA for a while, but didn’t want to spend the cash. Now that I took the shitty (but new) clutch out of my DA and put it in my DB1… I am free to pick up a new clutch for next summer :slight_smile:

Oh, and as far as taking out the flywheel bolts… it took about 30 seconds. I just put a wrench on the crank pulley and braced it agaisnt the frame and hit it with the impact. So simple it was scary lol. :up:

how do i put the clutch cable back in. it seems way too short. the black bar that it connects to (the one that goes into the tranny) is way lower than the bracket. wtf?

alright this is the tread i have been looking for! show neil that writeup so he can put it in teg tips… my flywheel has hots spots or atleast the best honda shop around her says so and they want $787 for stock parts and labor so i was thinking of getting complete exedy setup probably stage 1 or 2 and instaling it myself… any one heard of the brand f1? its all over ebay…

From what I remember, I took the bracket right off the transmission, connected the clutch cable to the bracket, adjusted it to it’s longest position, put the bracket back on the transmission and tightened it from there. Seems to work the best that way… good luck :up:

I would definitely recommed this as a DIY. It is tedious, but not “hard”. I did it 100% solo (minus my father helping me break free the axle nuts) in my apartment driveway with the car on jack stands. It’s a scary thing to get into, but once you get going it’s a breeze. The best thing I found was writtin here on G2IC by G2guru about transmission removal…

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26710

I followed these instructions to remove and install the transmission. The cluctch/flywheel were simple and i just followed the Helms manual for that. Print this off and have at it man! You can do it! :up:

all i did for the cable lever was put a hook connected to a chain block on it, and pulled, it lifted. i then connected the cable on the lever, put it in it’s slot in the bracket, lowered the chain block, adjusted my cable to have 1mm of play, and that was all. took me 2 minutes.

RedHeadPyr0 : I just purchased one of those stage 2 F1 clutches off ebay… Not sure how it is though, I have to wait till next weekend till me and a couple friends put it in.

I’d like to hear anyone else opinion on them if they have tried them??

i really like mine it has worked really good and doesnt slip at all… i had a problem with it about 1000 miles in but that was just a cable adjustment. did you get the flywheel with it?

yeah that sounds about right after the break in period.

No I didn’t get the flywheel. I didn’t even see a flywheel actually. I just thought getting mine re surfaced would of been good. How much are they? and did you get it?

mine came with the clutch it was the f1 9.75 or somthing like that. i really like it. revs faster but its harder to do hill starts.

hmm I was just going to get mine re surfaced I read the pros and cons of lighten vs stock and I don’t think I’ll be jumping on the lighten flywheel bandwagon to soon

just do like me, get a 12lb ITR flywheel, you get the best of both worlds, and it’s an OEM honda part.

really? how much does the stock one weigh? and what is your set up? I just have a stock b18a with intake and soon to be exhaust and a stage 2 clutch. and I was thinking of saving for a turbo for the summer

stock one is 18lbs. i got a B20B with P8R head (the engine out of the honda Orthia), intake, ported intake manifold, and stage 2 clutch. this summer getting a closer-geared transmission with LSD, and going b20-VTEC, found a blown B18C for $600, so im gonna take his block girdle, head, and anything else that’ll fit the B20(obviously oil pan since i’ll be using the girdle) that is, of course still functional lol