Changing interior bulbs / led swap

can anyone tell me what the third plug small yellow one on the back of the jdm cluster does the small plug behind the tachometre on the left hand side, i am from australia and am swaping the jdm cluster in but when i pulled my cluster i only have the two long plugs that go up the top plus the spedo cable, the yellow plug has a big black circle next to it in a transparrent case sorry cant post pics, bear in mind this is a manual cluster, just wondering what function that third plug does and if its going to affect anything

so in order to install the led bulbs in the the climate controls you have to remove your stereo??

Yes, azntklc, looks really cool, did you order the bulbs from the next or can i get them somewere in canada?..

Anyone know what size bulbs will fit in the hazard button, ac button, defrost button, cruise control button? They are really tiny.

[QUOTE=azntklc;1603796]Did this LED swap about a month ago, finally got some pics

Really impressed bout the results, bright and lighted up evenly!

10X better than those stupid reverse indiglo!!!

Light intensity is still adjustable!

I used blue for the meters + climate control and 2 white LED for the top (ones that light up the needles).

I took the blue plastic taken off the top of the gauge cluster and softened the light by replacing it with a white sheet of paper to reduce glare + more blue from the meters.

Gauge cluster

Climate control

Thx awalp!

Oh ye! If you planning to do this swap, make sure all your LEDs are correctly polaritized before putting everything back![/QUOTE]

Why are yours so much nicer than the OP?
Did you order different bulbs?

[QUOTE=_max_POWER;1654709]Why are yours so much nicer than the OP?
Did you order different bulbs?[/QUOTE]

BUMP for an answer.

Did you do the bulb for the ashtray also?

Originally Posted by _max_POWER View Post
Why are yours so much nicer than the OP?
Did you order different bulbs?

Bump for an answer

Nicer Camera.:corn:

i thought about that and decided that i dont think that is the cause.

My LEDs look like that. It’s just that I used a shitty camera to take a pic.

All besides the climate control, that’s because he has a RS.

Just make sure to buy quality LEDS and not the cheapo ones.
I got the “Super Star” ones from autolumination.com.

ok… i am doing this as we speak. just came back inside to double check.

How many 74s do we need for the climate control area? 1 or 2?

2 WLED-A Amber LED bulb Wide - Inverted Cone Tip

2 T1.5 Instrument LED bulb Amber

3 74 Wedge Base LED bulb Amber

2 74 Wedge Base LED bulb White

1 for the temp/fan
2 for the climate controls
1 for the ash tray
1 for the cig lighter

Plus the 5 that you’re gonna use for the cluster.

And I’ve tried using a better camera, I still cant get the pics to come out right.

Well I only ordered 9 in total that should cover the cluster and climate control i hope.
I ordered last night and should be in on monday I will let everyone know I have a good camera. Was Thinking of going amber so well see how it goes.

Not planning on doing the ash & cig light bulbs so i should be enough with 9?

This is where You’ll also see my high mileages lol 315,xxx miles

Well I did this with the amber and i didnt really like it because its not really amber bright bright but it would be better if brighter. I have just placed another order for

#74=5 blue & 5 white just in case i wanna switchif i dont like it.
#74=2 UV Blacklight for top so i can color the needles amber that glows.
#194=2 WHITE and 2 BLUE.
One i get the right setup i like i will post some pictures.

^ I was thinking about doing that with the UV black light bulbs…
I like how mine turned out…
I used the WLED 5-LED 194 bulbs along with the
74 green LED that they have at SuperbrightLEDs.com

The 74’s aren’t as bright as the 194’s, so there is unevenness.
I used white 74’s for the lights that light up the needles. I didn’t take out the blue piece… I like the effect of the green numbers with bluish white needles.
I will take pics with my camera phone later…

If I were to do it all over again I would somehow replace all of the face bulbs with the 5 LED 194s (the bulbs that light up the numbers). Even if I had to modify something.
If I didn’t want to modify something and I was going to do it again I would use the 1 LED 194 along with the 74s… though this would create an overall less-bright effect compared to all of them being the 5LED 194s. The 74s and 194 single LEDs aren’t " not bright enough". They light up nicely (at least in green) but the 5LED 194s were brighter and my idea would be: brighter is better.

The climate controls (position selector) were incredibly uneven, so I have yet to fabricate something to even out the light output. I believe I am going to use the diffusing piece inside the taillight once I get my new ones.
Regardless all in all it looks good… need to play around with this and that and see what you can do to make it how you like it.

Another thing!!! I suggest either doing this in a garage where you can create a dark place. Or do this at night… I did it at about noon and couldn’t get my car into my garage. So I just decided to wait til night to see what it looks like. But I wish I would have been able to see how well the bulbs worked while I had the dash apart.

Also… I broke my speedometer cable taking my gauge out… I looked it up here and it says to unclip 3 clips, then pull the gauge out some, and then unclip the speedo. My speedo was the object holding my gauge back. On mine, the only thing you need to unclip was the speedo. Once you do that, the wires have enough slack so that you can pull the gauge cluster all the way out. Eventually in order to remove the cluster, you don’t even need to unclip the clips. I also bruised my hand from my knuckles to halfway up my fore arms trying to reach behind the gauge. All in all I suggest… either disconnect from the VSS (a pain in the butt to reconnect if you ask me) or find a picture of what the clip holding the speedo cable. So that you know what you are looking for. If I had known that I could have saved probably 45 minutes.

i just pulled my speedo conector off but iam am going to try to recrimp it. …So does anyone know the size of the bulbs for defrost,hazard and fog buttons?

that is the million dollar question. everyone asks it, but no one ever answers it…
other then to say, ignorantly “uh probably 74 uh”

so when you find out what they are, and find a manufacturer that makes colored LED bulbs for them, make sure to let us know. And no I am pretty sure that SBLEDs doesn’t make them.

ps yeah I fucked up my speedo cable connector too. The dumbass directions tell you to just pull it out further.

when it says pull slack through the firewall, that means feed slack from the engine side of the car into the passenger compartment so you have room to disconnect the cable if you don’t have small hands.