"custom" headliner

Hey all. I joined a couple months ago. Started with a bone stock 93 4 door. Auto sad to say. Since I’ve put some different wheels on it and had the windows retinted. I’ll put some updated photos up later when I get the chance. My current problem has to do with custom print fabric for my headliner. I’m trying to do something simple to spruce up the ride. I just can’t seem to find any custom print fabric. Everything I’ve seen so far is solid colors or granny floral prints. Can anyone offer a good site or 2 to check out. Any help would be just swell. Thanks guys.

what do you mean by custom print. do you have a specific pattern in mind and need to find a way to put it on fabric???

I would start by looking into some craft stores and see what kind of fabrics they have or you can try to a shop that does interior refurbishing and see what kind of fabrics they can find you.

joann fabrics

I’m talking about the namebrand print (i.e. Gucci) but not necessarily Gucci. I was thinking about maybe some kind of comic theme. Maybe Batman or Superman. Something along those lines.

really? wow, just wow…get ready for genuine help covered in a candy coated shell of sarcasm…

i visited this new website called “google”, and typed in… ready for this - “superman fabric” ! i got 48 results on amazon alone! go figure!

spoon-fed, homie. here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=superman+fabric&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=162664931&ref=pd_sl_1jjsowp96z_e

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-shop-by-designer-camelot-cottons-superman.aspx?cm_mmc=Google--Disney+Fabric--Superman+Fabric--Superman+Fabric&cm_guid=1--100000000000000020745-_-6221249762&gclid=CNKzoP-z9qcCFUmo4AodJSVdcg

http://crafts.shop.ebay.com/Crafts-/14339/i.html?_nkw=DC+Comics

… I can haz Google??!

LMAO! i knew that was coming! ^^^^^^… also, i found this little gem yesterday that made me chuckle…

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=476293

I did my headliner about a year ago. bought the fabric at joann’s

is this hard to do? i looked for write up but found none.really wanted to do a black suede.can’t imagine it would be really hard.any input?

I wasn’t able to find a write up when I did mine. it’s pretty straight forward
Estimated time took about 1 1/2 hours

you are removing 2 lights, rear view mirror, oh shit handles and the coat hook.

Remove the lens on the lights with a flat head, there is 10mm bolts holding in the light fixtures.
The easiest way I have found is getting two flat heads and pry on both sides of the rear view mirror cap just kind of wiggle back and fourth
once the cap is off there is three phillips screws holding that in.

Next pull back all the plastic pieces, you don’t even need to take them off just move them enough out of the way to pull the actually headliner board out. The molding around the sunroof is very soft and can just be pulled by hand around the edge.

once you have the actual head liner out be careful when you pull off the old fabric cause behind it is padding.
Be careful when you pull the fabric off it will tend to stick to the padding due to the older adhesive so pull slow and make sure they are separated and the padding left intact on the headliner board.

Lay out your fabric upside down and then flip the headliner on top of it upside down and do a temporary tape job on multiple edges so it stays roughly on it’s shape.
Do your cutting for the sunroof now if you have one and try and overshoot the amount of fabric in this area cause when you are applying the adhesive you will be pulling on the fabric.

I went out and bought Adhesive Spray, they sell the stuff everywhere. any brand is fine

I also used a Seam roller

Just untape the top end and start spraying the adhesive and try and get a tight starting point. I had a friend help with this just to help pull the fabric as I went
I just rolled towards the unglued portion made sure it was a flat clean surface. just repeat till you get to the end. I used more tape on the edges just so hold the bottom

Install the way you took it out and enjoy the new headliner.

thanks for takin the time to do a little write up for me.really appreciate.its guys like you that give g2 such a good name.

Headliner replacement.

Hey all. I was thinking about doing a replacement headliner. I’m still looking at some fabrics right now. I was wondering if there are some fabrics to stay away from. I kinda figured silk wouldn’t be a good one to use. Also I was thinking about doing a raised Acura emblem in the headliner as well. Any insight or tips on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. Also if you guys have done your headliner I’d like to see, so I can get some ideas. And any and all thoughts and opinions would be welcome.

Your gonna need a can of 3M headliner adhesive. Do not skimp on this, don’t use Super77 or whatever, get the headliner adhesive. A slightly thicker or padded fabric will most likely turn out better. Thinner fabrics like regular cotton or silk will pickup all defects in the liner so keep that in mind. I wouldn’t use anything that isn’t rated for auto upholstery.

I find that the GREEN 3m 90 cans works much better CLICK HEREor DAP Contact cement for super heavier fabrics. The thicker the fabric the less likely it will bleed through the adhesive and also, using fabric with a slight stretch will make your life much easier.

Here is what I did:

After taking out the stock headliner, i scuffed it up a little with sandpaper (just a little!), took my material (cheapie plush pink stuff from michaels) and cut to size (leave aprox 12" on each side to trim off if possible) and laid it out in a very open area. I rolled the fabric up around a pvc pipe I had and used a friend to hold that as I sprayed on the headliner and the fabric (important!), let it sit for 60 -120 seconds before I smoothed on to the heaedliner using my hands and stretching it a little. Do this in 1 foot~ish incriments and you should be golden. Then trim to size and rock it out yo!

PS alot of times if the material is not as strechy as you would like, you can sometimes seperate the backing and peel it off like a sticker and this lets the fabric stretch…

HTH
C

SIDE NOTE

DO NOT get the adhesive on your hands, it will get on the headliner and will NOT come off lol…just be careful to not get any on your hands and you will be cool.

“custom” headliner

I’m planning a “custom” headliner. What do you guys think about using a wood grain patterned fabric? I’m still on the fence about it. Eventually I plan on getting a wood grain steering whell so I guess it kinda fits inot the scheme of things. What do you guys think? Your opinions matter.

What’s my opinion? A much better headline then that…
Its all up to you,IMO,it would look like crap,but i haven’t seen the fabric or the car yet to determine correctly.

i sharpied my headliner… mad colors… its sick! a lota ppl wrote on it i did some big graffiti pieces and i love it!

do what you want, its your car

since u ask i dont really think it would look good.there is no woodgrain trim in our cars so to me it would look outta place.but not 100% givin i havent seen the pattern/material.u just doing the headliner or all the upper trim to?