Davidhtam: It's about time I make a build thread.

Hey guys!!! This is a project that has been in the works for around 3 years. My engine has been in my bedroom closet for 2.5 of those 3 years collecting dust. It’s about damn time I start a build thread on this thing. My weakass b18a1 bit the bullet a couple months ago so I’ve been working hard at getting my car back on the road.

Here’s the DA if any of you guys are wondering who the hell I am:

PS: I’m also a photographer… so if any of you local guys want to help me out with funding on my project. I’ll do a professional photoshoot for your cars for $150 :smiley: (That’s dirt cheap… only because it’s g2ic)

ON WITH THE BUILD!

Here’s a list of parts just to get you guys started:
Engine: B20vtec

Head:
USDM GSR p72
Port and Polish
3 angle valve grind
Polished cam journals
New bronze valve guides
Skunk2 Pro Valves
Skunk2 Ti Retainers
Skunk2 tuner dual valve springs
Stock cams

Block:
JDM b20b
ARP rod bolts
ARP head studs
Hastings rings
OEM honda rod, main, thrust bearings
OEM pistons
Honed and hot tanked
All new seals, gaskets etc
Golden eagle vtec conversion kit

Drive train:
Competition ultra light flywheel
Competition street/sport clutch
Skunk2 dual bend short shifter + weighted knob
ES shifter bushings

Engine management:
USDM p28 ecu with hondata s300

There’s tons of other stuff that’s not listed… i have no idea what else i have in the garage right now… there’s just too much!

Exhaust:
Hytech replica long tube header
T1-R mid pipe
Custom axle back to a HKS carbon Ti muffler

Suspension and brakes:
Skunk2 pro UCA’s
Skunk2 pro-c coilovers
Skunk2 rear camber kit
Skunk2 rear LCA’s
RS*R front strut bar
Spoon rear strut bar
C-pillar bar
Progress rear anti-sway bar
ES poly urethane bushings
Prothane engine mount inserts
ITR front calipers
Fast brakes 11" cross drilled/slotted front rotors
Nissin sport brake pads (front)
Hawk HPS brake pads (rear)

Interior:
Bride Zeta II bucket seat
Mugen sport pedals
Momo Tuner wheel

So yeah… it’s a pretty mild build… nothing TOO crazy i suppose. The engine will be reliable, but not super fast.

I’ll be updating this thread as work goes on.

Nice! I always liked your car. :up:

When i first started collecting parts:

This was like… 3 years ago. All of these are all installed now.

Front brakes

Rear suspension

I got the head work done last year so here are pictures of that:

exhaust side

intake side

These are the most current photos of the progress:

Block back from the machine shop. Honed, decked, hot tanked.

b20 baby!

Crank shaft installed with new oem bearings

Hammering the pistons

My empty engine bay… it was so dirty, but it’s clean now!

That’s it for now. Hopefully, the engine will be fully assembled this weekend… i’m almost there!

Started painting the valvecover a few days ago:
Primed and first coat of paint

The finished product :smiley:

I’ve always been a fan of subtleties :stuck_out_tongue:

i’ve always liked this car. can’t wait to see it finished

I knew you had to be a photographer with those pics. lol I want your camera… :frowning:

But really nice car…what made you go with the b20b motor instead of getting the b20z. Just got a good deal on it?

Beautiful! Wish I lived closer to BC… im in Ontario :frowning:

Love what you are doing, can’t wait to see the outcome :rockon:

[QUOTE=Laydee_Mini;2127339]I knew you had to be a photographer with those pics. lol I want your camera… :frowning:

But really nice car…what made you go with the b20b motor instead of getting the b20z. Just got a good deal on it?[/QUOTE]

Cameras are cheap… compared to the lenses and lighting equipment i have.

I got the b20b short block for $450. It was cheap and available at the time so i jumped on the deal. I wish i had a b20z though… i could’ve used the higher compression pistons.

I know it’s not DA related, but here’s another piece of Honda eye candy for you guys :smiley:

Very very nice. Love the colour on the valve cover. Keep us updated.

Looks good so far! Any plans to upgrade the cams?

I love this picture!

[QUOTE=davidhtam;2127453]Cameras are cheap… compared to the lenses and lighting equipment i have.

I got the b20b short block for $450. It was cheap and available at the time so i jumped on the deal. I wish i had a b20z though… i could’ve used the higher compression pistons.

[/QUOTE]

Did you get your camera brand new? Or where did you get it from? Cause the one’s that I look at aren’t that cheap lol.

Aww yikes…If you were in the area I could’ve gotten you a great deal. Good luck with the build though!

i think its time for some rear tires.

BTW are those the same front upper control arms that threw off the caster?

Mrpenny: maybe down the road I will upgrade the cams and the bottom end. My goal right now is to build a reliable and relatively cheap engine. The head is ready for some hardcore cams… I’ve got probably about $3000 of parts and labour into the head alone. So it’d be a shame not to put some high life and duration cams in there.

The block is gonna need some more work to take the bigger cams though. I’ll need to get some higher compression pistons, rods, a girdle, etc to make the best of them. I just don’t have the money to do it right now. I’ve already spent waaay to much.

Mini: I got my camera used. I started off with a rebel xt with some cheap lenses (17-85is 75-300, and a 50mm 1.8). Then I upgraded to a 20d, sold all my old lenses and picked up a 24-70 f/2.8L and a 70-200 f/2.8L is. My body I’d an older model, but it still performs great with the new L lenses. Just look around on craigslist and you will find some really good deals.

Pleather: that picture was taken like 3 years ago. I’ve gone through like 2 sets of tires since then… Haha. As for the uca’s, I never had any caster problems with my set. And if I did, it wouldn’t really matter because I can adjust my caster with my traction bar :smiley:

Update!!!

I got my arp rod bolts pressed in and reinstalled the pistons last night.
Tapped and plugged the head for the vtec conversion
Installed the arp head studs, head gasket and put the head on the block. This things finally starting to look like a real engine again!! I’ll post some pictures when I get home :slight_smile: I’ve already uploaded them to my flickr but I’m on my iPhone right now and can’t copy the links over. Check it out there I you can’t wait. I’ll take some more “professional” looking pics when I get home.

Www.flickr.com/davidhtam

Nice! I had wondered if your car was still around. One of my favorites! :rockon: Good luck on the build!

[QUOTE=pleather;2127519]
BTW are those the same front upper control arms that threw off the caster?[/QUOTE]

His look like DC ones, not EF ones. The EF ones have the balljoint at an angle instead of coming out almost perpendicular (which is what totally screws up the caster). The caster that is created by the EF kit cannot be corrected with a traction bar.

[QUOTE=phatcardesignz;2127873]Nice! I had wondered if your car was still around. One of my favorites! :rockon: Good luck on the build!

His look like DC ones, not EF ones. The EF ones have the balljoint at an angle instead of coming out almost perpendicular (which is what totally screws up the caster). The caster that is created by the EF kit cannot be corrected with a traction bar.[/QUOTE]

Well actually… i have neither. This picture was taken before the arms for the DA were released. I jumped on the band wagon and tried to fit these on my DA, but i had no such luck. I returned those ones and waited the DA arms to be released and bought them instead. They fit in like a glove and i haven’t had any problems yet.

As promised, here are some pics! We moved the engine from the garage back to the shop. There’s more light and more tools there so we’re gonna finish assembly there.

Here’s what we did today:
Torqued the head down
Installed cams, caps, etc
Installed water pump, tensioner, t-belt
Installed intake manifold, injectors, fuel rail
Installed flywheel

The engine is pretty much done. Just waiting for the clutch, distributor and hondata to come in then it’s ready to be dropped into the car!!!

Head gasket and head studs are in:

Fitting the head on. Damn thing kept getting stuck on the dowels.

Head torqued, cams installed

Timing belt and valvecover are on

Sexy flywheel

Finally looks like an engine again :smiley:

i see you’re staying with the gsr intake. interesting choice. i like

trust me… i’d rather go with something else, but I have no more money left. I don’t think i’ll benefit much from an after market manifold as my cams are stock. There will most likely be a second build to follow this one later down the road… i’d say in like 5 years or something.