DDMTuning HID 6k Kit....Garbage!

2 hours later…it is done. No thanks to the lackluster instructions. I ordered the 9004 hi/low kit and none of the instructions on the website reference the blue plug or the 3 wires (brown, yellow and blue).

That blue plug was actually part of the install. The PDF directions I downloaded made no mention of it. No one in the youtube videos ever used it either. My frickin luck I get the one kit that has no instructions on how to wire up those 3 wires with the car for signal. These goofballs use the brown wire for ground and the blue and yellow for high-beam and low-beam signal. Didn’t find that out until I had already wrapped them all in elec. tape and wrapped/tied them all…thinking that I didn’t need them.

So I go to turn the lights on after doing all that and…nothing. No blip, no flash…nothing. So I call customer support.

Some kid picks up and says “DDM Tuning customer support, how can I help you?”
I proceed to tell him that the downloaded instructions from the site don’t offer any help on what to do with the 3 wires and the blue plug. This kid has the nerve to tell me to go to the website and check the support page… I interrupted him mid-sentence and blasted him “I’M NOWHERE NEAR THE FRICKIN INTERNET! YOU ARE CUSTOMER SUPPORT, START SUPPORTING MY ASS AND TELL ME HOW THIS FRICKIN BLUE PLUG AND 3 WIRES WORK!”.

I hear him typing on his computer and then he tells me “The brown is the ground and goes in the middle and the other two wires are the signal wires that can go on either side. If you stick the blue on the left side and the yellow on the right inside the stock bulb harness and everything works okay you’re golden and you can put the wires into the blue housing in the same fashion so that they connect permanently.”
I say “Thank you, was that so hard? Have a great day!”

So after all that, the light on the driver side still wouldn’t work, I figured that using the ground that the valve cover is connected to was a dicey choice. So I spliced the ground wire for the drivers side with a longer wire and ran it over to the other ground wire on the harness that is running directly to the battery.

BAM! Both lights FINALLY work (In the driveway). But now I’m thinking that if that ground to the valve cover wasn’t working for the lights, it probably isn’t working for the valve cover either. I will have to find a metal drill bit and drill a new hole in the subframe somewhere to ground the valve cover properly.

<The next day I actually drive with them>

Here they are when you turn them on…

10 seconds later…

Oh look, that explains a bit…

So now I’ve gotta see if I can make a new ground spot that the stock wire will reach to. Even though I’ve spliced into the ground and run it over to the battery, it still wont’ work.

Dm of mD

Good review! Appreciate it as I have been thinking about buying a PnP hid kit.

How much did this cost you?

[QUOTE=TegFan;2233854]Good review! Appreciate it as I have been thinking about buying a PnP hid kit.

How much did this cost you?[/QUOTE]

The kit cost me around $80 total with the ballast mount kit and shipping.
I paid for what I got. I can’t tell the wife about this cause she will just say “I told you so…cheap price doesn’t equal quality!” and I don’t feel like hearing that right now even though she is right.

I should have known something was wrong when they took my CC order quick-fast online, but I couldn’t get anyone to pick up when I called 5 minutes later.
I knew this wasn’t gonna end well when I didn’t even get a “SHIPPED” email for 3 weeks. Total delivery time was almost a frickin MONTH!!!

>:[
Dm of mD

so, if you are a poor college kid, this kit might not be too bad if you extend the wires?

please post your life of the bulbs if you find them to be short. i like your write-up. nice job

[QUOTE=ThaiB20;2233859]so, if you are a poor college kid, this kit might not be too bad if you extend the wires?

please post your life of the bulbs if you find them to be short. i like your write-up. nice job[/QUOTE]

Well, I ordered the kit last month and got it this month.
I installed the lights last night and using their instruction of wiring the driver-side ground wire to the same point that the valve-cover ground uses…caused the driver-side light to not work. When I ran a ground wire over to the batter from the driver-side light…the driver-side worked. That was all last night/yesterday.
I took the car for a 5-minute spin around my neighborhood and all seemed well. Parked the car and went in to shower and go to bed.

Woke up this morning and go out to the car, both headlights come on…but the driver-side shuts off after 10 seconds of being on. Drove to work with one headlight praying I didn’t get ticketed by the pigs. Made it to work and looked under the hood, the stock ground wire supplied by DDMTuning for the driver-side light came off of the connector where it was grounded on the frame of the car. This is just bad workmanship as the ground-wire I spliced onto their stock wire was still in place, still in one piece and still working as it did last night. I don’t understand why having the stock ground wire disconnected causes the light to not work considering that it is still “Technically” grounded by the wire I put in place. The driver-side light comes on when I turn on the headlights but it just shuts off after 10 seconds.

Eiither way, I am drilling a new ground point in the frame and attaching a new fastener/loop to their stock wire to see if the light will work properly.
If not, I’m taking the whole kit out and throwing it in the trash. I will just chalk it up to bad experience since I get the feelint they will not honor their warranty or give me my money back.

Oh, total lifetime of bulb usage: Passenger side=still works, Driver-side=still works.

Dm of mD

Dude seriously update your grounds on your car. Even if you use the same size pieces of wire and same ground mounting points (but true 8 or 4 gauge wire) you’ll notice difference in your throttle response and might even get this kit to work properly.

I’ve heard many good stories about DDMTuning’s P-N-P kits never really saw one go out like the issues you are having.

Let me know how the light output is when you finally get that issue taken care of.

Thanks.

The wires are pulling out of the connectors on every piece! I had to stuff the ground wire on the passenger’s side BACK into the damn harness housing and tape it down! And even after drilling new ground points fresh and bolting them down, the driver side light comes on about 40% of the time that I turn on the headlights. I have to turn them off, then turn them back on, get out of the car and check to make sure it’s on…and then drive off. If it’s still not on, I have to do that whole “Chinese-fire-drill” again til it catches. You can imagine how dangerous that is in traffic! I got honked at twice tonight on the way from work.

Dm of mD

To be honest sounds like operator error. I have had my hi/low kit for a year this Christmas. Just last month had a ballast go bad first problem though. A multimeter and or even a test light would have told you what wires went where. With the pining issue there are very little tabs on the metal plugs that you have to install in the blue housing. The tabs just need tweekd up alittle if you have done any wiring you would have already knew that. Dont get so pissed about little shit bud.

:cheers:

Output is decent considering our stock housings were never meant to have HIDs installed in them.

[QUOTE=themann423;2233900]To be honest sounds like operator error. I have had my hi/low kit for a year this Christmas. Just last month had a ballast go bad first problem though. A multimeter and or even a test light would have told you what wires went where. With the pining issue there are very little tabs on the metal plugs that you have to install in the blue housing. The tabs just need tweekd up alittle if you have done any wiring you would have already knew that. Dont get so pissed about little shit bud.

:cheers:

Output is decent considering our stock housings were never meant to have HIDs installed in them.[/QUOTE]

Did you install your kit yourself? Were you provided with adequate instructions?

Yes, the output is decent…when they both come on.
I am going to give them one more chance and order another harness.
If that doesn’t solve the issue of intermittent starts, then back to the vendor it goes.

Dm of mD

I think there might be a little installer error here. Like mentioned above. I have installed four different sets from DDM and have had no problems.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

looks like you got a bad ballast. did u try switching the passenger side ballast to the driverside? also, with the 2nd gens, you really dont need to run a relay harness although it’s highly recommended. dont use the relay harness and try plugging the power wire from the ballast directly to the input connector of your headlights.

i sell this kit all the time and never had any problems. may just got a bad ballast. send it in for exchange

Yes I installed the kit myself and no, I did not have any instructions but I do have a little common sense and the proper tools.

i’ve had the DDM kits for at least 2 years now no problems… installed them for my friends also not having any problems.

With or without the relay harness? I guess it matters if its the Raptor or the DDM too.

without relay harness for me. sold both the raptor and ddm kits. never had a problem out of each.

without relay harness for my current installs i’ve used them in the past but not from DDM so im not commenting on the quality of the DDM harness kit. i find that with almost all the aftermarket relay harness kits they’re bulky and include a lot of excess wiring of course since they’re universal. if anyone ever has the time check out the12volt.com or hidplanet.com and you’ll be able to find out information on relays and building your own harnesses.

Looks like you just did a shitty job. I figured out how to wire the plug in like 10 minutes. It took a little understanding of a picture they had or something (it’s been a while) but nonetheless I got it. I had these kits on three of our cars. Only problem I’ve ever had is on the Jeep, the low beams will cut on and off every now and then. But this isn’t a kit problem, it has something to do with how the truck’s ECU checks the lights. Since one plug is left unused, it thinks it must be missing so it resets. Have the 5000k kit of my teg and it’s great for what you pay.

Yep, crappy install job on my part.

palmface

I removed the kit and put it in a second time over the weekend and the lights work perfectly.
Stayed on all the way to work yesterday and today.

Dm of mD