DIY: DA R134 AC Conversion

Well as much as I would like to get rid of my ac components for that clean engine bay look, reality is that I live in a part of Southern Cali that gets too dam hot in the summer. July-August we easily see 100+ degrees almost every day. Here is a pic of just the other day in late June:

My DA9 is my daily driver and when I get in my car on those hot days I see/feel this:

Almost 120 degrees inside the DA!

I’ve owned my DA since 2009 and I finally got tired of driving with my windows down at 80mph on my way to work.
I knew I was leaking freon, because I had seen it, from the high-side service port:

And you can also see it was leaking from the top connection on the condenser (dry oil stain)

I decided to do a R134 conversion since R12 is no longer an option and R134 is readily available at most auto shops.
After doing my homework, I also decided to change all my orings (engine bay only) and the dryer. The oem orings and dryer are almost 23 yrs old and I highly recommend changing them.

I found the o-ring kit on ebay for $9 shipped. Part# MT2561
I also found the drier on ebay for $20 shipped. 4 seasons Part# 33279

You will need to convert the stock service ports to R134. They sell the adapter kits at most auto part stores.

The short one is the high-side and the long one goes on the low-side.

Buy the kit that includes the schraeder valves that go inside the port. It comes with the tool to remove and install them. You may as well change them since they are 20+ years old and are known to leak.

The AC compressor uses 5 ounces of PAG 46 oil.

I bought this 8 ounce bottle at NAPA for $9. I added the oil through the low-side inlet on the compressor.

In order to change all the orings in the engine bay, you need to remove the front bumper. There is a connection on the bottom of the condenser and there are two more line connections that have orings. I left the bumper off until I was done adding freon just in case I had a leak and needed to make a repair.

I also changed the oring under the cap on the compressor that is held by 4 allen screws. There are at least 10 orings that I changed. Anywhere there is a nut or bolt holding or connecting a line, an oring needs replaced. The only place I did not change orings was under the dash where the evaporator is. I pretty sure that the metering valve has an oring but I was not in the mood to remove my dash, not unless I knew there was a leak there.

The drier is held down by 2 10mm bolts. Having the front bumper off makes this job easier. You will find an oring on each line connected to the drier. You will need a 19mm and 17mm wrench. Or you can use two adjustable wrenches to undo any nuts on the lines.

I used an ac manifold ($55) I picked up at harbor freight tools and a vacuum pump ($16). The pump needs to be hooked up to an air compressor. There is a pump that doesn’t use a compressor but it costs around $100. I hooked everything up and opened up both high and low side valves in order to pull a vacuum.

You can see the vacuum pump hooked up to the yellow line. After 15 minutes I turned off the valves and checked to see if the system held vacuum. If it doesn’t, it means you have a leak. Mine held and I opened up the valves and ran it for another 15 minutes.

Next it was time for the freon. I shut the valves on the manifold and removed the pump. I hooked up my first bottle of R134. I found the 12 oz. bottle at Wal-Mart for $12. California requires a stupid $10 deposit. So you actually pay $22 for one can and you get your $10 back when you return the empty can. You have 90 days to get your money back…stupid Cali smog rules.

The instructions in the helms manual require you to purge the yellow line prior to pushing freon through the manifold. Then with the car OFF you open up the high side and add about 10 oz of freon. This prevents the compressor from running dry when you start the car. Next you close the high side and start the car. The helms call for 2500 rpm and the AC on on max air and max fan. Open up the low-side and start adding the rest of the freon until the proper psi is reached. PSI is different for everyone due to outside temp, so I’m not going to put a set number on it. Mine, for my outside temp, was around 45psi.

I monitored my vent temp with a thermometer. I started with an inside temp of 80 degrees. The best I was able to get it was 40 degrees! Weird was that I didn’t even use two full cans of R134! Most of my research says that you want to be in the 40 degree range coming out of your vents.

It was great driving to work with the windows up and the AC blasting! No more turning the volume up on my radio because of the wind noise. Now I just have to replace my blower resistor so I have more than just max and off on my fan settings :frowning:

Extra pics for your viewing pleasure…

High side (red) hooked up:

Low side (blue) hooked up:

Old drier getting ready to come out:

Old low-side port prior to conversion:

This tip is AMAZING!!

Few questions however…

-When you say purge the yellow line, you mean, release the vacuum you put on it? Or purge the whole system?

-When you say turn off/on the valves. You’re just talking about turning the blue and red knobs to open or close correct?

-When you are checking to see if the system holds pressure…you have the car off with the ports closed? Then you started the car with the ports open? and the vacuum released?

That last question the main one, and I only ask cause I don’t know if those gauges come with any information.

Thanks again for this write up. Best one yet!

Also…what’s the stainless steel line running over your tranny in the last pic?

[QUOTE=da6YO;2264452]This tip is AMAZING!!

Few questions however…

-When you say purge the yellow line, you mean, release the vacuum you put on it? Or purge the whole system?[/QUOTE]

Prior to adding freon, they want you to get rid of air that is in the yellow line so it doesn’t get in the system. With the R134 can hooked up, just unscrew the yellow line from the manifold until some freon comes out, takes maybe two seconds. Again, this prevents air from getting in the system.

Correct.

Negative. NEVER have the high pressure valve open with the car running. Only with the car off. Check the system with both valves closed. If it holds vacuum, then you have a leak-free system. You can actually finish the conversion with the high-side removed. Adding R134 with the engine running will be done only with the low-side valve open.

That’s my fluid line for my hydro tranny slave cylinder. BTW, thanks for the props!

Check out this youtube video. The guy explains it @ around 1:40. He uses the same AC Manifold that I have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNsyiFRfueM&feature=related

Those are great videos, another question tho…

If the system is leaking, do you still have to evac the system first? Can you do that will the tools you bought?

Also, you said the vac has to be hooked up to a compressor, doesn’t look like your is…

[QUOTE=da6YO;2264707]Those are great videos, another question tho…

If the system is leaking, do you still have to evac the system first?[/QUOTE]

Yes, unless you still have freon in the system.

Yes.

I took the pic before I hooked up my air line to the back of my pump…

Here is another video that shows how to pull vacuum with the other style pump (that doesn’t need a compressor). It’s around $100 @ Harbor Freight (bring your 20% off coupon)…

One more pic:

The blue cap hooks up to the top of the can of R134. $3 @ the local parts store. You will need this cap or something similar. Some cans come with one already. All you need is one. You can reuse afterwards on other cans of R134.

The other is the tool to remove and install schraeder valves on the high and low side service Ports. I replaced both of mine. Original valves were 20+ years old and leaking.

So do our cars have a orifice tube or expansion valve that needs to be replaced along with the receiver/dryer?

Usually receiver /dryer systems have expansion valves and accumulator systems have orifice tubes…so I assume that means we have the expansion valve and it is probably under the dash…

[QUOTE=da6YO;2265267]So do our cars have a orifice tube or expansion valve that needs to be replaced along with the receiver/dryer?

Usually receiver /dryer systems have expansion valves and accumulator systems have orifice tubes…so I assume that means we have the expansion valve and it is probably under the dash…[/QUOTE]

Our DA/DB’s expansion valve/metering device is hooked up to the evaporator underneath the dash. I did not replace mine or change the o-rings that are hooked up to it. I took that risk knowing that I would have to remove the dash in order to get that sucker out. And I was in no mood to remove the dash, although I have gotten quite good at it :slight_smile:

Luckily everything has been so far, so good for my AC. At times it almost gets too cold since my blower resistor is out. If I had work other than the AC that required me to remove the dash, I would’ve changed the expansion valve.

[QUOTE=ng8650;2265269]Our DA/DB’s expansion valve/metering device is hooked up to the evaporator underneath the dash. I did not replace mine or change the o-rings that are hooked up to it. I took that risk knowing that I would have to remove the dash in order to get that sucker out. And I was in no mood to remove the dash, although I have gotten quite good at it :slight_smile:

Luckily everything has been so far, so good for my AC. At times it almost gets too cold since my blower resistor is out. If I had work other than the AC that required me to remove the dash, I would’ve changed the expansion valve.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, I have yet to remove the dash from the teg. I have to remove the dash in my crown vic to replace a heater core. That should hold me over for a while. haha.

Thanks ng8650 for a great write-up. I always assumed that a system originally designed for R-12 that had been converted to R-134a, and one that is 20+ years old at that, just wouldn’t cool all that well. You’ve encouraged me to try and get my system running in tip-top shape again. It never occurred to me to buy the A/C manifold from HF and do it myself. The heat wave in the South this summer has been killing me in my Integra!

No problem. I’m still monitoring my AC temp output and it is still chilling at 40 degrees! Now my friends/co-workers are now hitting me up to take a look at their malfunctioning AC systems, lol!

I’m sure you could rack up the dough since EVERYONES ac system “just needs a recharge” haha

thats so funny, I sell cars and my partner always tells me when one comes in with no A/C “just needs a recharge” it pisses me off cause, I’m the tech he’s not and it never “just needs a recharge”

GREAT WRITE UP !!! archive this

[QUOTE=DAGeorgie;2265770]thats so funny, I sell cars and my partner always tells me when one comes in with no A/C “just needs a recharge” it pisses me off cause, I’m the tech he’s not and it never “just needs a recharge”

GREAT WRITE UP !!! archive this[/QUOTE]

Yup, the Freon had to go somewhere…Some folks can get away with just a recharge for now but eventually they will need another recharge. It’s best to find out why the AC went out and fix the problem. At a minimum, replace as many o-rings as you can and the drier. And make sure the compressor has oil. While I had the compressor out, I took some time to clean it up a bit…

Yo really great write up. This thread and ericthecarguys videos really helped me out. I bought my teg a while back with no suction/discharge lines connected. It has everything else. Also hasn’t been converted yet. Basically I just have a compressor sitting there with no lines connected. Do I still need to evac the compressor or should I just clean it up? Pretty sure its been sitting for years. I plan on replacing o-rings, valves, and receiver/dryer. P.S the car did come with suction/discharge lines but not connected. I also read the the pressure switch has to be changed, is this correct?

The biggest reason you want to pull vacuum, IMO, is because it will tell you if you have any leaks. If the system holds vacuum for approx. 10 minutes, you can add freon without having to worry about it leaking later on. If you have a leak your system won’t hold vacuum and it would be a waste of time and money to add freon on a system that doesn’t hold vacuum.

The vacuum will also allow you to add freon with the vehicle off (through the high-side). This will prevent a dry start up when you first turn on your ac.

I didn’t change my press switch. Just make sure you change the o-ring that is on it. Unless you know for sure you have a bad switch or it’s the cause of your leak, I wouldn’t change it.

Yeah no doubt im gonna vacuum it. Just wondering if there still could be r12 or oil in my system? If there are no suction/discharge lines then im guessing the previous owner already evacuated it?

No lines = no R12. You may have some oil. Take the compressor off and hold it upside down to see how much/if any oil is in it. Just make sure you add the correct amount of pag 46 oil when you hook everything up.