Early-model/low-comp b20b in to 90-91.

I recently swapped a b20b in to my '91 GS sedan and figured I’d whip up a quick guide on this since all the b20b-in-to-DA/DB guides seem to revolve around high-comp b20bs in to late model 2nd gens.

This guide covers a 1996-1997 JDM b20b low-compression engine with the P75 cylinder head/intake manifold and with no knock sensor, going in to a USDM 1991 Acura Integra GS Sedan 5spd while staying OBD-0(I did obd-1 not long after the swap, but it’s not necessary to complete the swap and drive the car). My car was complete, running, and driving prior to this swap and I had my b18a1 to use for parts. If your swap differs in any way then I can try to answer your questions, otherwise you’re on your own.

What you’ll need from the b18a1…

-Fuel injectors
-Fuel rail
-Fuel line from filter-to-rail
-Distributor
-Alternator
-Transmission(I used a freshly-rebuilt 1993 LS ys1, you can go with whatever you prefer)
-Starter
-Power steering pump(unless you delete)
-A/c compressor(unless you delete)
-Complete engine harness
-Any little parts/sensors/bolts/nuts/etc that may be broken/missing on the b20b
-Exhaust manifold/header + downpipe
-Crank pulley + key

What you’ll likely/should need to buy(order your parts for a CRV matching the year of your motor unless otherwise noted)…

-New timing belt
-New tensioner pulley(hit or miss when re-using the original, up to you if you want to take the risk)
-New p/s belt(order for Integra / unless you delete)
-New a/c belt(order for Integra / unless you delete)
-New alternator belt(order for Integra)
-New o-rings for the a/c lines where they connect to compressor(order for Integra / unless you delete)
-New fluids(oil, p/s fluid, coolant, trans fluid)
-New thermostat
-New gaskets(valve cover, oil pan, thermostat housing, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc)
-New gasket sealant(I highly recommend Permatex mega-grey)
-Funnel for fluids
-That clear/yellow hose assembly for the trans fluid(makes this job much easier)
-A/C recharge kit(and r134 conversion kit if car is still r12, follow all rules/laws regarding this stuff / unless you delete)
-May also need stuff like a top-end gasket set, clutch kit, water pump, oil pump, main seal, etc. Just depends on condition of motor and what you have on-hand already.

The only real modifications needed are…

-Extend ECT switch wiring
-Extend MAP sensor wiring
-Delete Oil Temperature sensor wiring.

Some details on the above mods…

1. ECT Switch wiring. On the 1990-1991 b18a1, the ECT switch is on the back of the motor, is huge and ugly, and has a two-prong style connector. On the 1996-1997 jdm b20b the ECT switch is on the thermostat housing and has a plug-style connector. Not only will the ECT switch wiring in your b18a1 engine harness not reach the new ECT switch location, it wont even plug in to the ECT switch. What you need to do is either extend that wiring, or cut a slit in the harness up to the thermostat, pull the ECT switch wiring towards the thermostat wiring, remove excess wiring and re-tape the harness. Either route you take, you’ll need to cut the two-prong style connectors off of the harness and replace with a two-contact plug…something you’d use for an oil pressure switch or something, easy to find online for cheap.

2. MAP sensor wiring. On the 1990-1991 b18a1, the MAP sensor is on the firewall by the vacuum pots and master cylinder. On the 1996-1997 jdm b20b the MAP sensor is on the throttle body. The MAP sensor wiring needs to be extended to the new location, super easy to do…just remember to be smart when you make that cut and don’t short yourself on wiring on the plug-end of the harness. You’ll obviously need some wire to extend this, color doesn’t matter as long as you properly match it all up. Electrical tape or solder, up to you. I highly recommend buying new harness loom to tidy up this extension, exposed wires are no fun.

3. Oil temperature switch wiring. The b18a1 has the switch, the b20b does not. It’s up to you if you want an un-used connector hanging around behind your motor, I didn’t so I cut what was hanging out of the harness, taped the end to avoid shorting on anything(if this is even a possibility, better safe than sorry I say), then hid it in the harness before re-taping it.

The swap itself is very easy and mostly self-explanatory. You basically just swap over the above b18a1 parts to the b20b, install/use all the new stuff, make those harness modifications, then drop the motor in as if you’re putting the b18a1 back in. While you’re doing the swap, now is the time to decide if you want to do stuff like clean the engine bay, clean the new motor, install Prothane engine mount inserts, inspect radiator, basically all the stuff you can’t easily do with the motor in the car.

If you’d rather go OBD-1, simply purchase an OBD-1 or OBD-2 distributor(yes, both will work), OBD-1 ECU, 4wire o2 sensor, and the adapter harnesses for the ecu and distributor(and extension harness for the new o2 sensor unless your ecu harness comes with one). I did this and the car ran like crap with a P75 ecu, ran worse with a PR4 chip, ran like a champ with a Phearable basetune meant for the motor. I also went with an OBD-2 distributor since it came with the b20b(money-saving ftw), just had to fork out $30-40shipped to Monotech on HT for his adapter harness…I’m also using his chipped P06. I made a custom 4wire o2 harness and tied it in to the Speedfactory harness, installed a factory 4wire o2 sensor in place of the old 1wire o2 sensor. As my car sits, EVERYTHING works including the ice-cold a/c, runs and drives like new…absolutely no CELs or other issues.

I’m not going to cover testing, inspection, timing, or actual swap steps because these are basic steps for any swap and I assume you know this stuff. If not, there’s a trillion guides out there. This guide is simply a check-list for those wanting to do this particular swap, when I bought my motor I had no idea what I needed from my b18a1 and what I may have needed to purchase to make the motor work. Turns out it was a lot easier than I had first assumed, and now it’s time to pass this info on to someone else.

To clear up some false rumors about this EXACT swap(exact meaning 1996-1997 low-comp p75 b20b)…

1. You will NOT need any sort of special risers/washers to use your b18a1 fuel rail on your b20b motor.

2. The motor, specifically the intake manifold, WILL clear the hood.

There are numerous variations of the b20b so I can’t stress enough how precise this guide/those debunked rumors are. To my knowledge they apply only to that exact model of b20b, your mileage may vary with any other variation of the b20b. I can’t help you if you have a different motor or different car.

WOW good info! Did you get it to run with no problems at all… like stock? If so, how do you compare the B20 to the B18a? What’s your driving impression??

Out with all your reviews please…

Again… good job! :rockon:

Right off the bat it wouldn’t run due to my own error. After pulling my hair out for several days, posting threads all over the place, going through my checklist numerous times…it dawned on me that even though I was sure it was timed properly, that was the only thing I didn’t verify. Checked it and boy was it off, wayyy off. At TDC those cams were pointing at the headlights, no frickin’ idea how that happened, I swear I remember timing it correctly and even double-checking before putting the valve cover on. Set them right, fired right up and stayed running, it was beautiful. Nothing extra or special was needed, like I said above it’s real similar to just putting the b18a1 back in the car.

Once the car was fully back together, since I installed a list of new parts and etc, it ran and drove great…or as great as it could on the PR4 ecu that was still in the car. I couldn’t really get a good feel for any differences since the ecu was sub-optimal for that motor, all I knew was there was massive power drop after like 2500rpm and the occasional CEL for my fuel system which only happened on a certain road at a certain spot in the road…blew my mind, never did figure that out. If I didn’t drive that way for a week, no fuel CEL…drive down that road, bam, fuel CEL, frickin’ crazy. Eventually upgraded to OBD-1 and ran a virgin P75 ecu, gave me a CEL for no o2 and still had a pretty bad dip in power after 2500-3000rpm.

After having Phearable tune me a chip for my setup, it runs strong throughout the rpm spectrum. There’s not a huge difference that I notice between this motor and the b18a1 except I can feel a little more power bottom/mid power, which was expected from this motor. Just wish TJ didn’t screw me on this purchase and sent me the correct high-comp b20b I had originally ordered…

I thought the top-end power would suffer a bit due to it being a low-comp b20b, but honestly this thing has a lot of push behind it beyond 3000rpm. Example…I’ll be cruising down the interstate doing the speed limit which is 70mph, in 5th gear, I’ll floor it and it will actually hit 100mph pretty darn fast…faster than the b18a1 did. But that old motor was burning/leaking oil, and had a hair under 300k on it. I’m also now running a phearable tune, AEM short-ram, 4-2-1 header/downpipe and APEXi N1 muffler…so some/all of those may be a contributing factor here.

In the end, she runs and drives great. I got myself a super reliable daily driver that gets 30ish mpg city/highway mix, so I’m happy. Now all that’s left is to upgrade my suspension again, finish the black interior conversion and tackle the body work/paint.

EDIT: Did all that talking about my car, so I suppose it’s only right to post up some pics. :wink:

057.jpg

nice write up…:werd:

how did you get your power steering to work? did you change the pulley? or change the harmonic balancer with the one on the b18a1?

Earlier today while discussing my swap with a friend, I realized that I completely forgot to put “crank pulley” in the list of parts needed from the b18a1. Adding it now.

So yes, I did use the crank pulley from the b18a1 + ps + alt + ac, and ordered the belts for my Integra rather than ordering them for a CRV. The only belt I ordered for a CRV was the timing belt.

Getting ready to do the b20z in my 92 teg. Thanks for the write up. Did have one question for you on the ECT switch. What style plug and where did you order it from? Would like to get this heading my way for the swap.

Check out the sensor thread in this teg tip section, there should be some pics in there that will show you what kind of plug. The one I used was a round green 2-contact plug, something similar to what you’d see connected to a VTEC assembly. It doesn’t matter how it’s wired since it’s just a ground loop.

Wow great thread. I’ve been debating on getting a b20b since the low comp. Is only like 450+ shipping on ebay from jdm company’s. I have a question on the tuned ecu could you route me to how to get the exact service you got from phearable I’m really interested thanks… again great thread

Just contact them with the exact year/model b20b you have, what mods you have, what ECU you have and what chip kit you installed in it, what year/make/model car you have, etc. You’re going to be ordering the “custom tune” and he needs to know a lot of info about the car and running gear in order to tailor the tune for you.

You’ll hear a lot of people say not to trust temp tunes, and I agree…but I’ll tell you what Phearable will tell you…temp tune is acceptable if it is done for a setup like ours(no boost/no spray/just a basic swap with minor bolt-ons) and it is done by someone that knows what they’re doing. My tune worked beautifully, a/f was pretty much spot-on, the car ran like a champ right up to the day I traded it off to its new owner. I plan on doing this swap again on my '90 Si hatch, but with a high-comp b20b this time.

Got my high comp b20 in and got the manifold off her ready for the new skunk2 last night. H motors is where I got mine and it was perfect except for a busted distributor cap from shipping. Mine came with the ECT sensor on the thermostat housing and a partial harness so the plug was clipped on. Wiring that will be seemless. I do have one question. Did you change all your LS sensors over to the B20 when you did your swap or use the ones that came with the B20 installed from factory? Don’t know if the sensors are different from obd1 to obd2 on this stuff. Always knew the disto/injectors are different but never really heard much on these. I.E. Oil pressure, sensors on the head under the distributor. Figured I would ask as I searched with no luck and dont have time just yet to check honda/acura to do sensor part number comparision.

I used what came on the b20b except for what was broken during shipping, then I’d grab what I needed from the b18a1.

Thanks again for a quick response. My teg’s b18 was tired so it was time for a swap. My other ride is going down so didnt build the b18 for boost and decided on the b20 with bolt ons. Had syncrotech buiild me a ys1 with carbon synchros, ls 1st, 3rd, and 4th. Gsr 2nd gear and a 4.40 final. Also had em throw in a m factory LSD. Exedy stage 1 clutch and 9.5lb fly wheel, Aem CAI, skunk2 intake and exhaust along with a dc sports 4-2-1 header and a cat delete.

Old radiator was leaking so went with a mishomoto radiator and fan/shrould with a derale 10" for the a/c fan.

Had pherable do the ecu for me. Should be a fun get to work car though I still miss my turbo hatch from several years ago so Ill have to find another hatch or teg to play with for boost as once this ones swapped im not messing with it any more.

also dont know if anyone else had this problem but i had to change my thermostat case due to one of the coolint hook up that was not there on the b20b with a p8r intake manifold

Not trying to bring back a dead thread but why is it necessary to use the fuel rail and injectors from the b18a1? I was under the assumption that something like fuel rails and injectors fit and worked in all b series motors no matter the obd? Not arguing just confused and wanted to know

It’s been a long time since I’ve done this swap and the car is long gone, but I’ll try to answer your question.

The reason for the fuel rail swap is because a JDM b20b was used and the fuel rail it came with is fed from the driver side on JDM cars. Our USDM fuel line/fuel filter is on the passenger side. This means you either need to run a custom fuel line or swap the rails, the latter option being easier assuming you have a USDM motor to pull and salvage for parts like I did.

As for the injectors I don’t really remember exactly why I used the b18a1 injectors, but I imagine it was because I reused the b18a1 harness. I don’t remember if the injector plugs differ between obd-0 and obd-1 harnesses so I honestly couldn’t tell you if the b18a1 injectors were necessary.

^^Im betting you reused the injectors because of the resistor box on the integra. I think you can use the obd1 injectors but you need to by pass the resitor box and rewire the new ones…

Good info above. Ive been debating on this swap for a year or so, but i might just wait until my B18 goes for good as its running strong now. The only thing that holds me back from doing the swap is the ECU. I would also use the Phearable tune, but from what ive read alot of people say its unsafe to run a basetune without getting it dyno tune’d. Blah blah, i just dont know what to believe. Anymore, research on hondas makes me even more confused. haha If i didnt beat up my car at Autox i might not be as concerned but Id like it to run as well as possible.

True if you are high comp, boost, or spray. If you’re just running a swap and some bolt-ons and the tuner knows what they’re doing, then a base tune will be fine.

[QUOTE=DOHCIntegraLS;2244399]
The reason for the fuel rail swap is because a JDM b20b was used and the fuel rail it came with is fed from the driver side on JDM cars. Our USDM fuel line/fuel filter is on the passenger side. This means you either need to run a custom fuel line or swap the rails, the latter option being easier assuming you have a USDM motor to pull and salvage for parts like I did.[/QUOTE]

Ha wow I feel like an idiot now. I have had my B20 sitting in my garage for 3 plus years and I have never noticed that until now…