ebay short shifters

has anyone bought and used one of these $20 ebay short shifter? the price is good but does the saying you get what you pay for apply here? i know buying no name cereal is a good deal but a bad shifter could do a number on a tranny. so anyone have experience with one of these?

i actually jus bought one
so when i install it ill tell ya mine was 19.99 i did the buy it now thing
its a type r silver short shifter

Re: ebay short shifters

Originally posted by spacedout
has anyone bought and used one of these $20 ebay short shifter? the price is good but does the saying you get what you pay for apply here? i know buying no name cereal is a good deal but a bad shifter could do a number on a tranny. so anyone have experience with one of these?

i got one that i bought on an impulse buy a few years back but never installed it. it’s the polished one that has that cheezy Type R engraved on it, like they sell on ebay.

i’ll give it to you for 15 bucks shipped if you want it. let me know by email

ajcho1@attbi.com

yeah i got one. it works fine. but make sure you get the right one, my brother got the wrong one and it rubs on his exhaust.

Originally posted by ZeroMR
yeah i got one. it works fine. but make sure you get the right one, my brother got the wrong one and it rubs on his exhaust.

most all short shifters rub on the exhaust shield… you can remove it.

cheap aluminum shifters = snapy snapy = :down:
b&m billet steel shifter = :up:

aluminum shifters dont break, welded ones do.

If you are shifting so hard that you snap a shifter then you are shifting too hard.

I got one of those off of ebay. What a waste. It is actually slower with it than with ths stock one because you cannot snatch shifts as quick because of the awkard angles it puts the shift linkage at…very notchy feeling. Waste of money IMO.:down:

if we lived close I would trade you my short shifter for your stock one…

what was ur short shifter called that you got and it felt longer and badder shifts?

angle shouldnt matter, you can get a stock shifter that is the same angle as stock. its the bushings that would make it notchy, and you can always use different bushings.

Hmm I have had 1 of those cheap shifter for a long time now and it feels much better then stock. I had it compared to DC and its looks f@*king identical. If it breaks on you, you are shifting way too hard, shifting harder doesn’t make your car go faster.

I bought 1 that was made for the 94+ integra (I think now they only make 1 universal type), anyways it has that shape/curve to it that brings the shifter closer to the driver. If you’ve driver a G3 you’ll know what I’m talking about.

HTH
Ken

P.S. If you ask me…buy it, it’s shorter then stock and while you’re at it, get the energy suspension shifter bushing as well.

I don’t mean the shaft was at an awkard angle, it is the same as stock, but it puts the shaft that leads to the transmission at a different angle and it is very notchy because of that. Mine is pointed backwards towards the driver so that is not what I am referring to. I guess you will have to experience it for yourself. Enjoy…

Originally posted by Shaun Ladd
I don’t mean the shaft was at an awkard angle, it is the same as stock, but it puts the shaft that leads to the transmission at a different angle and it is very notchy because of that. Mine is pointed backwards towards the driver so that is not what I am referring to. I guess you will have to experience it for yourself. Enjoy…

a short shifter is “notchy”… that’s normal. what it does it decrease the length of your throw/shifts by extending the bottom section after the ball.

if y’all really don’t wanna waste money on a short shifter why dont’ you just bust out the saw or the dremal and cut your stock one down…just make sure you get a shift know with different size cups…i acutally did that to my after market shifter…i think its a DC not sure though, got if from a friend…anyway i sawed mine even smaller and its the sh^t…just a thought.
later,
Dan :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by punk749
if y’all really don’t wanna waste money on a short shifter why dont’ you just bust out the saw or the dremal and cut your stock one down…just make sure you get a shift know with different size cups…i acutally did that to my after market shifter…i think its a DC not sure though, got if from a friend…anyway i sawed mine even smaller and its the sh^t…just a thought.
later,
Dan :stuck_out_tongue:

ummm dude, changing the height of your shifter doesnt make it a short throw shifter, it just makes the shifter lower. the whole thing about a short throw shifter is that the end UNDER the ball is longer making it a shorter throw up top…remember physics class…fulcrums and the such…yeah, anyways, if you are going to cut the top of your shifter, make sure that you weld what you cut from the top to the bottom, so that your throw is actually getting shorter not just the height of the shifter :slight_smile:

yeah i just ordered a cheap 20$$ one off ebay…i should be getting it in the mail here pretty soon and when i install it ill let you know if its any good. i bought one for my 90 civic hatchback and it worked fine, i dont see any reason it shouldnt work unless they give me the wrong one. And how the heck can you break a shifter!!! throwing that hard wont make you go faster!!:burnout:

alright i bought a short shifter for $15 shipped. should i order some neuspeed shift bushings of just install it how it is? what exactly would different bushings do?

Originally posted by spacedout
alright i bought a short shifter for $15 shipped. should i order some neuspeed shift bushings of just install it how it is? what exactly would different bushings do?

hey bro yeah get some poly shift bushings… actually email me, i might some I can sell you.

I bought the neuspeed bushings originally and never got around to installing it. I’m eventually gonna get a short shifter, but I also have the ES Full Master Bushing Kit which I’m pretty sure includes the shifter bushing kit. I’ll go double check.

Here’s my $0.02

For all of those who say aluminum shifters and say they don’t break or I shift to hard, well obviously I’m a very aggresive driver when I backup into my driveway, beacuse my cheapo one broke on my on a gentle shift and regularly I don’t shift hard. What happens to the aluminum shifters is that because they are so close to the exhaust get hot and cold very often, and because those things don’t have the best quality control on the aluminum nor do they use the strongest alloy, through many heat cycles the metal weakens and, snap.

As for cheap short shifters not shifting well, its entirely possible. Some companies make the shifters too “short” and this does two things. First, it can make your car feel great at idle or driving around town, but take it to the track and chances are if its too short you’re not gonna be able to get it in a gear or two. I have personal experience. I changed my old short shifter for another I had lying around and it felt great around town, and I took it to the track and missed 2nd and took a while to get it into 3rd at 8000rpms, and because of that, I ran 15.2 twice when I actually MISSED the gear and had to clutch out and put it in gear (takes a lot of time) and then 15.0 while double clutching it. Naturally, the car is a lot faster and the friggen shifter actually made my day at the track a waste of time.

Last but most important is that you must realize that these short shifters will wear your synchros faster than a stock shifter. Why? Well, think about a fulcrum, on one side you have to move it a little bit to move the other side a lot. If you think about it another way, any little inaccuracy in your shifting path will be amplified on the other side, as well as the fact that shifting “faster” all the time on the street puts a lot of extra stress on the synchros for no reason.